E46 Steering Rack

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Arafat Mashhuri

Club Guest
Hi & Salam,Wanna know how much the steering rack for E46? smlm pegi aligment and my mechanic said my steering rack starting to gegar. So hv to prepared the cost lerrr... hadoiii... thanx

Ada bunyi "tak tak tak" tak time corner or mostly time nak parking. That might be the steering rack. Mine also encounter this sound. It's not a major actually and a common for e46. Need to know the cost also. Sifus, kindly advice us. Tq in advance.

Blom ada bunyi2 lg tp coming to it larr... my instict the price bole menyebabkan bypass jantung jgk ler that why kena riki awal2 the price kang x pasal2 collapse huhu...
baru 7 bulan pakai e46 ni totally dh 16k abis.. ikut perasaan mcm x larat but memandangkan UDM ni lebih cun dri rozita che wan so hidup mesti terussssss...

someone said its cheaper in singapore bout 3k RM, iam planning to change mine as well..anyone have change this b4?

I do think the rack can be rebuilt. As e39 can and have the repair kit. Some more need to check what actually is the cause. Maybe lower arm or bushing. What other symptoms of steering rack faulty?. Anyone can explain?.

Wobbly steering when driving may be caused by worn out steering rack as well. A repair kit for E46 is around RM400++ but inclusive of workmanship and fluids may costs up to RM1.2k.

Arafat Mashhuri;757796 said:
just got the price from my mechanic, it cost rm1.3k from chop shop... what u guy's comment?

get a repair kit ad overhaul it instead of getting a used unit from chop shop, since the price difference ain't that much anyway.

the repair kit is just change the oil seal?any way i know the main shaft cant change any more...before that i also buy the used steering rack using until now 2 years no problem.

piea;757959 said:
the repair kit is just change the oil seal?any way i know the main shaft cant change any more...before that i also buy the used steering rack using until now 2 years no problem.

Would there normally be any issue with the shaft?

the shaft will wear and tear...like my,when u turning ur steering abit the wheel not get moving any more.that we call free play.

piea;757974 said:
the shaft will wear and tear...like my,when u turning ur steering abit the wheel not get moving any more.that we call free play.

Mine still have slight free play even after overhaul. Hmm

then u have to change hole steering rack la...if need it can contact me...0165011317

piea;758017 said:
then u have to change hole steering rack la...if need it can contact me...0165011317

Will try to check on the steering coupling & universal joint first. Do u happen to have stock as well?

wingzee;757983 said:
Mine still have slight free play even after overhaul. Hmm

Wingzee,

Did the free play happen only After you changed your tyres?

For me, i didnt have any free play when using Potenza RE050, but now with the Champiro HPYs, I get some free play. So i pump the pressure to 235psi and it helps alot.

I believe the Champiro HPYs are a little too soft.

Top Bottom