E46 Steering rack leak

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

BMW9700

Club Guest
Hi All,just found some ATF fluid on the floor after parking the car for sometime..had the car checked and apparently there is a slow leak from the power steering rack..the mechanic says that the rack can be overhauled..replacement cost for new is prohibitive..anyone had a similar experience and will the overhaul (replace the seals) be effective? the total cost of this will be in the region of RM500.regards

Overhauled my e36 rack few months back. Basically its a simple job, replacing all the worn oil seals. The repair kit costs 2XX, so plus labour and fluid should be about 5XX :)

Cheers

Was told that my steering rack needed to be replaced. Checked price and was quoted RM2,500 just for the rack...pls let me know if yours is overhauled...will check with my mechanic on this option too....keep us advised mate...
cheers

rexmail;253914 said:
Was told that my steering rack needed to be replaced. Checked price and was quoted RM2,500 just for the rack...pls let me know if yours is overhauled...will check with my mechanic on this option too....keep us advised mate...
cheers
yup, i think a new power steering rack is around 2000-2500, if can be overhaul, just overhaul it, i think it should be as good as new

I've had this experience twice on the E46. Both times it was due to the powersteering hoses which needed replacement. It my case it usually happens when I didnt drive the car for a few days (4-5 days), and then i return to find drops of ATF fluid on the floor. Maybe the pressure drops when not driven and then leaks through the hoses and clip, but once it starts leaking, it doesnt stop by itself.

Both times got the hoses it replaced at AB. First time as ~ Rm1k for all hoses including the aluminium one, the next was around RM500 i think for just the rubber one(s).

E46Fanatic;253981 said:
I've had this experience twice on the E46. Both times it was due to the powersteering hoses which needed replacement. It my case it usually happens when I didnt drive the car for a few days (4-5 days), and then i return to find drops of ATF fluid on the floor. Maybe the pressure drops when not driven and then leaks through the hoses and clip, but once it starts leaking, it doesnt stop by itself.

Both times got the hoses it replaced at AB. First time as ~ Rm1k for all hoses including the aluminium one, the next was around RM500 i think for just the rubber one(s).

thanks v much for all the input...E46F, i noticed the same pattern too..leave the car unused for a while and these things happen especially the cooling system and the power steering..

the last time i left it unused due to a overseas trip, the power steering hose dislodged within half hour of using the car..the fluid spurted all over the engine compartment and rendered the steering without power assistance..fortunately for me i was not too far from the mechanic...otherwise could have been quite tragic...

strange but true!!!

regards

Top Bottom