E46 parts & maintenance

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
yeps, u know, i know, they know, yer neighbour's dog knows dat there has been so many debate n myths, theories, not to mention disasters on ATF flush.

but i wld place my bet on u my fren considerin yer drivin the same machine as mine, same year n same model, IM IN fer ATF change soon then :)

n pls don mention bout bits of metal larrr .. *touch wood*. :)

rgds, B)
kahar abdullah

After doing some research on my own, i came across some useful and factual explanation that sort of convinced me to do the ATF change.
Here is one such taken from another forum on the same confusion: www.unofficialbmw.com.
There are also a few more sites that even detail how you could DIY.

"At my last BMWCCA meeting I read an actual letter from the chief engineer for ZF transmissions used in the BMW's.
He said that these trannies were not designed for any type of lifetime fluid- period and recommended the fluid/filter be changed every 60K miles. No exceptions. He mentioned in the letter that he did not know that BMW was using a lifetime fluid and strongly urged them not to do that after discovering this.

My mechanic (BimmerWerks, Harahan LA) is a member of a world wide tech group of BMW mechanics and shop owners. They all agree that the lifetime tranny fluid is BUNK.
This particular ZF engineer is part of that group too.

Note- if you ever have to have your tranny worked on, and the fluid is drained-- the BMW dealer will reuse the fluid!! Yes- pur it right back in! Incredible but true. Only if you insist, will they use new fluid (about 150.00 a bottle- @ 2 per tranny)

Coincidentally, the Lifetime fluid is made right here in nearby New Orleans LA, and shipped to Germany. Our shop looked into buying directly from them, but were unsuccesful.
I love attending the monthly tech session at this shop. They put out great info.

I'm sure if you call the shop I use, they'll explain the matter to you in detail."

Originally posted by okow@Nov 9 2005, 03:35 PM
After doing some research on my own, i came across some useful and factual explanation that sort of convinced me to do the ATF change.
Here is one such taken from another forum on the same confusion: www.unofficialbmw.com.
There are also a few more sites that even detail how you could DIY.

"At my last BMWCCA meeting I read an actual letter from the chief engineer for ZF transmissions used in the BMW's.
He said that these trannies were not designed for any type of lifetime fluid- period and recommended the fluid/filter be changed every 60K miles. No exceptions. He mentioned in the letter that he did not know that BMW was using a lifetime fluid and strongly urged them not to do that after discovering this.

My mechanic (BimmerWerks, Harahan LA) is a member of a world wide tech group of BMW mechanics and shop owners. They all agree that the lifetime tranny fluid is BUNK.
This particular ZF engineer is part of that group too.

Note- if you ever have to have your tranny worked on, and the fluid is drained-- the BMW dealer will reuse the fluid!! Yes- pur it right back in! Incredible but true. Only if you insist, will they use new fluid (about 150.00 a bottle- @ 2 per tranny)

Coincidentally, the Lifetime fluid is made right here in nearby New Orleans LA, and shipped to Germany. Our shop looked into buying directly from them, but were unsuccesful.
I love attending the monthly tech session at this shop. They put out great info.

I'm sure if you call the shop I use, they'll explain the matter to you in detail."
This is good stuff ...

cheers okow :D

:) thanx okow.. my car's mileage just hit 70,000kms and its already approaching its 5th birthday.so naturally i'm thinking of doing the autotranny fluid change too..

btw just had my brakepads on all 4 corners changed..cost me rm400 for the whole job.price includes all 8 pads,2 wear sensors and labour charge.

think its better not to change the auto-trans ATF as have checked with auto-bavaria and even Stuttgart and they do not recommend it. Altho its stated as "life-time" and some say its good for only 150,000km - but if yr car havent reach that yet, its probably prudent not to change it as its not recommendated by the manufacturer. Besides it costs a fair bit like almost 1k to change the ATF plus some parts.

Hi Guys,

Just collected my car from the workshop...........bill as follows:-

Wishbone Arm - RM1,120

O Ring - RM5.00

Sump Gasket - RM50.00

Labour 100.

driving seam a lot better after the arms were changed

Mileage 95409km

Engine Oil - RM377.00

Oil Service - RM44.00

Filter Element - RM53.37

Air Cond Filter - RM217.62

Cleaner - RM11.04

TOTAL - RM703.03

Service done in AB Sg Besi

its gd to c ppl xchanin infos so dat one cld make a ref fer their next comin visit to those werkshops mentioned.

however, it wld b nice if my fellow forummers cld also state which werkshop they went to instead of just a breakdown of list of items repaired/replaced/bought.

howeva, its an option, n fer some reason(s), u guys might wanna keep it discreet, its yer $$$ afterall. thanx guys :) :) :)

rgds, B)
kahar abdullah

My service done at heritage services

Oil Change : Hirev 9050 8 lite @ RM 310

Oil Filter : RM 40

Valve cover gasket : RM 90

Front Brake Disc : RM 820.00 (2X 410.00)

Front Brake Pad : (1set) RM 400.00

Spark Plug : RM 420.00 (RM 70 per piece)

Workmanship: RM 140.00

Service Tax : RM 7

Total : RM 2227.00

(all parts replaced are original bmw)

Agreeable looks very expensive, u can call up stuggart or bavarian auto to find out the price of parts. I did mine in jln ipoh bomin more reasonable. They have both ori or oem.

For your information , e46 330 convertible parts are more expensive than the other 3 series ..cept m3 . Ive done all neccessary calculations before going to heritage :) ..even the springs also must be ordered specially since e46 330 convertible do not use other 3 series spring..

but if there's another 330 convertible in the forum that does the same replacements , we can do a comparison on pricing. Just to double confirm the figures and all :)

been a while since i posted ......

My ride is now almost at 65000 kms. On October 1st at 60k kms, I felt vibrations on my car seat when i am stationery at traffic light stops and also in auto D-mode. I called M-Speed & went in for engine mounting change:

2 pcs engine mounting RM330
Labour RM80

Things were ok & vibration free for close to two weeks and then again it happened .... this time more vibration. Plus i have occassional belt squeeling sound.

So on Nov 1st, went to M-Speed again. When the mechanic opened the engine hood, we could hear hissing sound near the engine block. As it turned out, i needed to change "intake separator" just underneath the exhaust or intake manifolds. Well that really took a very long time as it is very hard to reach. Also parts in the fan belt area needed to be changed and it is the expensive parts, not the rubber belts!

And so the damage is:-

Pulley RM155
Fan Belt Tensioners RM340
Intake Separator RM148
Labour RM80
TOTAL RM723

Now it has been almost one and half month .... once in a while some very slight vibration on the seats again but i doesnt bother me that much as before. It happens usually when i have a fast run and arrive at area where traffic is very bad.

Hi Guys,

I am a newbie here and Just got my a 2nd hand 318 yr 02 E-46. I was browsing thru this lovely forum to look for informatiom cos my babe is up for Service II in another 9k ( current 88k ) as previous owner sys he had just service it at 80k (in AB, wonder how much truth) .

Well my location is in JB so I am looking for alternate place instead of AB. As one of friend was working in AB, I was trying to pull out the service record of my car ( is it possible?? )

The rev metre on my 318 is reving at abt 800-850 while stationary with little vibration, is it normal ?

When I accelerate from low speed ( lets say from 40km/h ) to higher speed (lets say 80 or 90 km/h), There is like a raddle sound coming from the front left of the car, very soft but clear sound like tar.rrrr..rrrrrrr. Was asking around but was told it was normal in 3 series 4 cyclinder car type.... Its the sound of the injector ?? So what does you guys think ?

I was also advice that if I do know the replacement parts, buy it from Singapore cos its 20% cheaper. Any comments?

Looking forard to your advices.

Cheers

Originally posted by graffika@Nov 16 2005, 05:15 PM
My service done at heritage services

Oil Change : Hirev 9050 8 lite @ RM 310

Oil Filter : RM 40

Valve cover gasket : RM 90

Front Brake Disc : RM 820.00 (2X 410.00)

Front Brake Pad : (1set) RM 400.00

Spark Plug : RM 420.00 (RM 70 per piece)

Workmanship: RM 140.00

Service Tax : RM 7

Total : RM 2227.00

(all parts replaced are original bmw)
hi all, just got mine fr heritage also... pls advise wheter i kena slaugther or not. if so, this is the first and the last time... my ride 2002 CKD Auto Bavaria 318i 2.0L FL - 43K mileage

VME pump - 1550
Timing oil seal - 90
Water hose - 130
Radiator tank - 270
Thermostat valve - 155
Coolant - 25
Air valve - 150
Air hose - 95
Air hose - 125
Air hose - 130
Gear box mounting - 70 (for 2)
Oil sump gasket - 70
Fuel filter - 350
L/H lower arm - 545
Front brake pad - 310 (1 set)
ATF3 - 40 (for 2)
Hose clip - 20 (for 4)

Labour - 400

Grand total - 4560!!! WOW!!! There goes my X'mas and M3 bodykit. :cry:

Changed rear bearings from Stuttgart
E46 Rear bearings - RM90 for one
Labour - RM 240
Total RM420 for a day's job changing rear bearings.

Hi,

Just done an oil services at M-Speed, Subang yesterday:

CAR SERVICES #4 - Engine oil, oil filter, labor - RM180,expansion water tank - RM300,thermostat - RM160, screw - RM15)

Total: RM655.00

The mechanic said it's good to change 'expansion water tank' every 60K km...

My brake lining warning light came on.

I sent my e46 to AB - Segambut and was RM1,147 poorer :(

Breakdown of my bill is as follows:

RM
Check All Pads and Disc Condition = 22
Replace brake pads of front & rear = 143
Linings (front) 1 pair = 432
Sensor front = 76
Linings (back) 1 pair = 380
Sensor back = 76
Plastilube = 9
Service Tax = 9

Total = 1,147

My question: do they have to change sensors everytime they change the lining? :dunno:

Hi,

Did oil service at T&T Motor Service, Kuching on 13-01-2006:

Engine oil - Caltex Havoline fully-synthetic (4L) - RM138.00
Oil filter - RM32
Labor - RM10

Total: RM180.00

hi all, just got mine fr heritage also... pls advise wheter i kena slaugther or not. if so, this is the first and the last time... my ride 2002 CKD Auto Bavaria 318i 2.0L FL - 43K mileage

VME pump - 1550
Timing oil seal - 90
Water hose - 130
Radiator tank - 270
Thermostat valve - 155
Coolant - 25
Air valve - 150
Air hose - 95
Air hose - 125
Air hose - 130
Gear box mounting - 70 (for 2)
Oil sump gasket - 70