E46 Part and Service Cost II

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
MjY2ODhfcA==.png

thanks sifu Alex...the answer is yes..BA is selling that seperately..part number: 11 43 1 247 530. Price is RM110..placed order..ETA is 2 weeks ;)

Modified the coolant based heat exchange atf cooler to e36 air cooler.
used e36 air cooler+new hose adapters+labour=rm350

rwd;843563 said:

Care to share where you do that bro? I was quoted RM500 for the same job

anaksarawak;843601 said:
Thanks. . Do we bring our own ATF?

Very minimal atf lost. Mine not required refill.but coolant yes because all coolant drain out when take out the heat exchanger,pls bring your own if using BMW coolant ; )

rwd;843563 said:

Thanks for sharing bro. This would be in my "to do" list.

Sent from my GT-I9300

anaksarawak;843616 said:
Strider74 lets do this together ya?

yeah..personally, i think this mod is worth to invest..according to the workshop owner, this is a must do preventive mod for E46 as if the heat exchanger fail, coolant will get into the GB. He handled 3 x coolant get into GB case before. 2 x GB dead , 1 x GB survive after few times of ATF flush and refill.

Please remember call to make appointment first if you going to do this at WQW..03-8024 0433/8433 ....they run the business with 2 persons only...so, schedule always tight : (

rwd;843720 said:
yeah..personally, i think this mod is worth to invest..according to the workshop owner, this is a must do preventive mod for E46 as if the heat exchanger fail, coolant will get into the GB. He handled 3 x coolant get into GB case before. 2 x GB dead , 1 x GB survive after few times of ATF flush and refill.

Please remember call to make appointment first if you going to do this at WQW..03-8024 0433/8433 ....they run the business with 2 persons only...so, schedule always tight : (

What are the pro and cons of this modification ? Will engine be running on higher temperatures on average with this mod ?

rwd;843720 said:

What are the pro and cons of this modification ? Will engine be running on higher temperatures on average with this mod ?

terry8;843731 said:

Terry, so far there are only benefits to this instead of disadvantages.

- Zero maintenance as compared to original heat exchanger. Should last the vehicle's lifetime since it's air-cooled
- Original heat exchanger tend to fail (blocked) after certain milleage/number of years
- Not connected to radiator hence zero risk of failure/blockage where coolant from radiator leaks to GB causing damage as what rwd has explained
- Helps to cool and maintain GB temperature more efficiently as compared to the aging original heat exchanger
- Proven to be effective and low maintenance, used by the E36 and E39 (only difference is E39's one is much bigger)

Would highly recommend this mod as it has helps to reduce my ex-E46 GB temperature significantly. My old heat exchanger is not working at its optimal due to its age (probably blocked) and GB temp is above the normal level which in return causes jerks after drives. This mod has eliminated the jerks totally and helps in reducing the GB temperature.

A RM350 mod that eliminates the risk of GB failure due to overheating/coolant leak to GB, which requires full overhaul of GB, which cost minimum RM4.5k. It's a no brainer and money worth spending IMO.

Do refer to my old post below.

wingzee;820476 said:
Last check during monthly INPA self-diagnostic revealed that GB temperature been on the high side with average of 99c during idle and 126c after a few runs. Normal temperatures should be around 80c during idle and 110c max.

Mechanic have suggested to replace the gearbox heat exchanger as it may be blocked causing not being able to perform at optimum level to cool down the GB.

Stock E46 heat exchanger (water-cooled) can be further illustrated by photo below. Very efficient cooling but the down side is it may get blocked over time and no longer performs optimally which in the long run may damage the GB as internals are no longer sufficiently cooled. This may attribute to premature GB failure which happens to many E46s. Signs of overheating GB are obvious jerks during upshift/downshift and dark-colored ATF.

Apart from GB damage due to overheat, GB may also be damaged if heat exchanger is damaged causing mixture of coolant and ATF to be routed back to GB.

25.png

Mechanic suggested for long-term, the E36 heat exchanger (air-cooled) is a better replacement as it requires no maintenance and no risk of failing (unlike the stock E46 exchanger) since it's air-cooled. Even though being an air-cooled alternative, it maintains the same level of effectiveness in cooling of the GB.

The same air-cool engineering was applied on all E39. Photo of both E36 and E39 heat exchanger as below.

E36
181.png

E39
9.png

Total all-in cost for parts and labor is RM500, inclusive of topping up of 1L of ATF.

No photos taken during replacement as car was left at mechanic's while I go to work. Photo taken by udm68 shows removal of bumper. LOL

wingzee;820951 said:
Healthy GB temperature after normal town driving and uphill spirited drive. Tested over the weekend with long drive from KL-Taiping and back. Temperatures averaged around 98c the highest.

For reference, GB temperature is at 57c upon cold start.

Recommended mod for enthusiast who rempit their rides as maintaining optimum GB operating temperature is essential to a GB.

Since overheated GB can be a silent killer, it is recommended to check GB temp from time to time.

will follow suit once i solved my engine oil leak/loss issue. do share updates on the results yea!

Auto filter GM = RM78
Auto gasket GM Ori = RM168
ATF oil GM = RM336 (7ltr)
Oil filter housing O ring = RM70 (2pc)
Radiator = RM800
Engine Oil = RM156
Oil Filter Ori = RM45
Gear Level Oil Seal = RM30
Coolant = RM38
Workmanship = RM200

Total = RM1921

My First Service

Service
Total Semi Syn Oil 5w30 7litre -RM203 (RM29 per litre)
Ori Oil Filter M54 -RM68
Labour -Rm45

Top Bottom