E46 328 low end power

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

bikerz

Club Guest
How can i improve the low end power? i dont want any force induction. Swapping M54 intake manifold is a good upgrade?And my throttle feel a bit heavy, compare to 318. is it normal for 328? or my throttle body need a repair?

Try to change accelarator cable. The rest you have to check on maintenance ie oil, plugs, filter & so on. It would be best to do diagnosis. 328 is almost 10 years now need to do wear & tear. You may refer to my thread as a guide as mine is 328 yr 2000. No prob at low end. Plan to do port & polish in future.

that's what my 328ci feels like too compared to my e34 and i also plan to stick with na power for the e46. i've got the electric fan conversion, underdrive pulleys and some software upgrade. they help but very little. i'd suggest a differential swap to 3.64 but trouble is locating one. i'm still looking for one...

the diagnostic machine pulled the code on faulty camshaft sensor on my car. no change to pedal feel after fixing new sensor. drove my colleague's late model e46 318 earlier this year and the throttle felt lighter too.

erica34;479799 said:
that's what my 328ci feels like too compared to my e34 and i also plan to stick with na power for the e46. i've got the electric fan conversion, underdrive pulleys and some software upgrade. they help but very little. i'd suggest a differential swap to 3.64 but trouble is locating one. i'm still looking for one...

Is it possible to bore the block to 3.0 litres, or 3.2 litres capacity? They have done this with E90 325's. That would make a deifinite difference I think. Otherwise, I think a double vanos engine would be optimised in every way...

for 3.0l stroker, no need to bore the block. just need pistons and crank from the m54b30 engine. conrods the same. or get an s52 crank from US m3 with new m54b30 pistons and rings. the s52 crank easier to find since not many parting out m54b30 engine compared to s52 US m3 engines. that's what i'll do when the time comes to rebuild the engine. if engine needs rebuild then it makes sense, otherwise i think the diff will make a more significant difference compared to the 0.2l increase in capacity. and most likely cheaper too...

erica34;480397 said:
for 3.0l stroker, no need to bore the block. just need pistons and crank from the m54b30 engine. conrods the same. or get an s52 crank from US m3 with new m54b30 pistons and rings. the s52 crank easier to find since not many parting out m54b30 engine compared to s52 US m3 engines. that's what i'll do when the time comes to rebuild the engine. if engine needs rebuild then it makes sense, otherwise i think the diff will make a more significant difference compared to the 0.2l increase in capacity. and most likely cheaper too...

Thanks for the info, erica34. I looked up the info on differentials. Does the auto 328 come with a mechanical differential? I thought it was an electronic differential i.e. ASC, please pardon my ignorance. How much does the differential cost?

erica34;480397 said:

Dear erica34,
Does that mean the 328 bore diameter is the same as the 330. Since the conrods are the same, the bore is lengthened by different crankshaft?

iirc, bore is the same. increased displacement comes from longer stroke. but just having the crank wouldn't work due to different pin height. need pistons from the m54 too. don't know much about differential but i doubt e46 came with electronic diff coz it's a 90s car.

software upgrade wont give any prob? as i heard from m performance : "no problem no need to upgrade software, else scared ur computer tak ngam then cannot control ur engine."

any comment?

Top Bottom