E46 318i engine fail to start

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

white BM

Club Guest
after experience little shorted between '+' and '-' terminal of radiator fan,my car refuse to start and more giving warning sign as bellow;1. high temp even the engine dose not start for 3 days2. gearbox sign3. DSC fault signfollow up action:1. check battery voltage: 12.01 volt2. try to plug in diagnose tools to it but found that ERROR in communication look like there no interaction between the diagnostic tools and the ECU.3. check the fuses : all are OKANY SIFU OR SOME BODY KNOW WHAT TO DO? I'm blurrrrrrrrrrrrr

first of all, welcome to the forum and u may want to introduce yourself in newbie section before someone told u to do that.....

i've experienced this one, cost me 3.5k....but i dunno if i get conned....
i happen to change the DME (ECU) , EWS and oso the key? ....so beware.....
but better thing, if u have second car u can slowly search the related problems on the forums....
i'm that dumb at that time as i cant see my car just lay around....

my advise is search the forum for reputable workshop....

1. high temp even the engine dose not start for 3 days
its not the temperature, its just the meter go straight to red

2. gearbox sign
not the gearbox problem

3. DSC fault sign
this warning light came together

follow up action:
1. check battery voltage: 12.01 volt
nothing wrong with the battery

2. try to plug in diagnose tools to it but found that ERROR in communication look like there no interaction between the diagnostic tools and the ECU.
this is wrong.think ur DME (ECU) is faulty....i heard from somewhere the DME about 900++ (chopshop) 1900++ new...
maybe u wanna check it first...please beware, some workshop may tell u the problem came from the key, later a lot of thing need to change...last time i tried called sunway area workshop (cant recall the name) as they said it would cost around 2200++ to settle....oso u may try call 2-3 workshop and tell them ur problem before send ur car there.....

3. check the fuses : all are OK
nothing wrong with the fuse

ANY SIFU OR SOME BODY KNOW WHAT TO DO? I'm blurrrrrrrrrrrrr
i am not sifu....its only i have experienced this....wish u luck....

thanks for the advice & sharing .............
just wana know is there any other fuses in the car? rather then this 3 place;
1. in the engine compartment
2. in the dashboard
3. main fuse at the back booth

** Is this the sign that the DME (ECU) dose not receive any power supply? **

hmmmmmmm... ?????????

white BM;637674 said:
after experience little shorted between '+' and '-' terminal of radiator fan,
my car refuse to start and more giving warning sign as bellow;
1. high temp even the engine dose not start for 3 days
2. gearbox sign
3. DSC fault sign

follow up action:
1. check battery voltage: 12.01 volt
2. try to plug in diagnose tools to it but found that ERROR in communication look like there no interaction between the diagnostic tools and the ECU.
3. check the fuses : all are OK

ANY SIFU OR SOME BODY KNOW WHAT TO DO? I'm blurrrrrrrrrrrrr

seems like a relay burned out ....the square box type relay which is inside the fuse box ....

since you mentioned that it happen when trying to fix the radiator fan ..therefore all i could think is the relay ...or if it's the DME ...try to plug out another DME from a working car and test it out ...as mentioned in item no 2

Is it true that the DME and EWS are linked?

That means just change one of the module is not enough.

m3addict.. how your ride? have u change the servomotor yet?

Thanks again guys... I will try to check the relay...
but i not really sure which relay i need to check? is there any advice which relay that i need to check.......

jarance;638181 said:
Is it true that the DME and EWS are linked?

That means just change one of the module is not enough.

m3addict.. how your ride? have u change the servomotor yet?

my car seems no problem after a check from my friend :listen:
i dunno what he change coz he ask me to leave my car at his workshop and later he said no problem....i've try long distance ride and it seems ok.....
but the problem came back on night driving....daily ride is ok....
dun have the budget yet to change the servomotor....need to care my daily ride first :stupid:

Took off, the Relay found that there was no clicking sound prior to start the car and burned smell from it.
Tomorrow will change the DME relay... going to see what is the result.

Hope tomorrow will be my lucky day......... Thanks again to all with the great idea..

Another DIY guy! Yay, BTW welcome to the forum, White BM

BTW from your info this had been most informative wBM thanzx :p

white BM;638340 said:
Took off, the Relay found that there was no clicking sound prior to start the car and burned smell from it.
Tomorrow will change the DME relay... going to see what is the result.

Hope tomorrow will be my lucky day......... Thanks again to all with the great idea..

that's great bro....share your updated later

guys,
i have replaced the relay and it still refuse to start. what i most worry about is my DME because i dont have resourcess where to look for it.
i did checked the supply goin to the relay result ok.

forumers, any more idea or way of solution?

white BM;639581 said:
guys,
i have replaced the relay and it still refuse to start. what i most worry about is my DME because i dont have resourcess where to look for it.
i did checked the supply goin to the relay result ok.

forumers, any more idea or way of solution?

Changing just the DME may not solve the problem cos the EWS need to adapt to the new DME.

The EWS may allow you to crank the starter but the DME will not activate the ignition and the fuel pump.

jarance;639611 said:
Changing just the DME may not solve the problem cos the EWS need to adapt to the new DME.

The EWS may allow you to crank the starter but the DME will not activate the ignition and the fuel pump.

means if DME fault then need to change the EWS 2gether is it?

M3addict;639617 said:
means if DME fault then need to change the EWS 2gether is it?

Not necessary so. Using the BMW scanner, the livedate for EWS will show you whether you can or cannot start the car.
350510I.jpg

There is also a menu to adapt or sync the EWS with the DME. I personally have not try this function
but it look like it can be done.
350510J.jpg

Here is screenshot when I use an unautorised key. The DME did not get the "GO" signal

Capture_6.jpg

M3addict; I'm located in Miri Sarawak.

Jarance; that mean every time we change the DME, it must be sync with the EWS.

the latest i did was:
I have connected the supply to the DME by jumper. I manage to reset the high temp indicator as i explain earlier but still fail to connected with the DME.

what dose it mean by " NO CAN ID, DME 1"

white BM, it look like you have to sync the DME with the EWS.

try to contact a forummer by the name gnik from Miri. He have bought the scanner from me.
Maybe he can lend his scanner to do a diagnostic on your car.

Top Bottom