e46 318i 1999 engine problem

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

ayree

Club Guest
Hi guys,Need help in figuring out this problem. My engine sometimes when starting from cold start, have to press the accelerator peddle for it to properly start. (kasi minyak naik la.) if i didn't press it, it will start and died straight away.Thought it could be the throttle body and tried cleaning it. But problem still persists. Hope you guys can offer some advice or inputs.cheers and tq!

How do you clean the throttle body? I believe you are use MAF which is not cleanable....

I'm not too sure myself as my mechanic did it for me... probably he just dust it off. no wonder he didn't charge me anything. hehehe..

I have the same problem and just last weekend I clean my MAF with CRC MAF Sensor Cleaner but the problem still remain. It could be the ICV, so i'm getting my mech to check that the next time i go to the workshop. But slightly better throttle response now though.

have the same problem and just last weekend I clean my MAF with CRC MAF Sensor Cleaner but the problem still remain. It could be the ICV, so i'm getting my mech to check that the next time i go to the workshop. But slightly better throttle response now though.

Thanks for the info bro Crymson. Maybe i will ask my mech whether he cleaned it the way you have mentioned. What is the ICV anyway ?( sorry im kinda a noob in all this technical term. still learning the ropes)

ayree;650923 said:
Thanks for the info bro Crymson. Maybe i will ask my mech whether he cleaned it the way you have mentioned. What is the ICV anyway ?( sorry im kinda a noob in all this technical term. still learning the ropes)

ICV = Idle control valve........
Same prob happen to me...........service (clean) my ICV and ok after that........if not you have to change it, will cost you around 650-700 per unit

kayz;651063 said:
Same prob happen to me...........service (clean) my ICV and ok after that........if not you have to change it, will cost you around 650-700 per unit

thanks bro. that makes sense. i’ll ask my mech to check it out. i’ll let you know how it turns out. thanks for the info. really appreciate it! have a great weekend!

thanks bro. that makes sense. i’ll ask my mech to check it out. i’ll let you know how it turns out. thanks for the info. really appreciate it! have a great weekend!
I've checked with my mech and he said he had cleaned the icv as well. huhuhu... guess i have to look for a replacement. is 600-750 for brand new or recond etc? Anyway can anybody tell me what is the long term side effect if i don't replace the icv immediately? cheers everyone

ayree;652361 said:
I've checked with my mech and he said he had cleaned the icv as well. huhuhu... guess i have to look for a replacement. is 600-750 for brand new or recond etc? Anyway can anybody tell me what is the long term side effect if i don't replace the icv immediately? cheers everyone

600-750 is a brand new unit, no ideas pertaining to the side effect for long run............

600-750 is a brand new unit, no ideas pertaining to the side effect for long run...........
Thanks kayz.. trying to source out a recond unit for now. cheers for everyone that helped. have a good weekend all!

urs is m43tub19 engine rite......coz i have the same problem...for few years..until today, if tht occur, i tekan minyak with my right foot brake and left foot and jalan for few minute, car will idle normally.

eujinee;654631 said:
urs is m43tub19 engine rite......coz i have the same problem...for few years..until today, if tht occur, i tekan minyak with my right foot brake and left foot and jalan for few minute, car will idle normally.

Yup it's that engine. hahaha. I should have read your reply earlier. I just changed the ICV today. But haven't pick up the car yet. It's in JB, will pick up when the next time im heading back to jb though, so i'm driving my old trusty wira until then. thanks for the tip anyway.

I had my erratic idle problem solved last week and changed my fuel pump and fuel filter. Because there was not enough pressure from the fuel pump to pump fuel to the engine, so this is where I get drop in rpm at idle sometimes. Also did a computer check and it showed fuel system delivery failure. Since then, ok already.

Hmm last week change fuel related stuff for my E46, 2 weeks before that fuel hose on my E36. It's fuel delivery repair month haha

Crymson;657708 said:
I had my erratic idle problem solved last week and changed my fuel pump and fuel filter. Because there was not enough pressure from the fuel pump to pump fuel to the engine, so this is where I get drop in rpm at idle sometimes. Also did a computer check and it showed fuel system delivery failure. Since then, ok already.

Hmm last week change fuel related stuff for my E46, 2 weeks before that fuel hose on my E36. It's fuel delivery repair month haha

Hahahaa. I guess fuel will always be an issue in this economy:burnout: Just to let u guys know, as it turns out, changing tothe 2nd hand unit ICV only makes it worst. The engine started to rattle. So changed back to my old ICV and did a computer check, computer said something wrong with the exhaust sensor and there was nothing wrong with the ICV. So might have to changed the sensor but they are gonna soak it in oil first to see it it works.Aiyoh. all this trial and error stuff really is frustrating.

To add to the injury, the lower arm bush sudah hancur, absorber pad thingy in the front right also gone already, same goes for the ball joint. No wonder my car drives a bit weird lately. And the next thing on the list is new sets of tyres. So it's a rubber replacement month for me. Heheheh. Things we gotta do to keep the ultimate driving machine.... ultimate...hahha

Top Bottom