E46 2004 - Gearbox Delaying !!

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
kimi_el;259022 said:
Hi Keane
Fyi, you can try checking out on your 'air mask'.
I encountered almost the same problem as yours.
Once changed, everything back to tiptop condition!!

Hi Kimi,

what is "air mask" anyway...is it expensive? where is the best place to change it?

thanks
keane

keane;259129 said:
Hi Kimi,

what is "air mask" anyway...is it expensive? where is the best place to change it?

thanks
keane

U cannot simply check the air mass sensor by urself. U have to run thru proper diagnose.
Last time I have problem with idling, and suspected air mass or throttle body's problem, Then went to Bengkel Rashid at Sunway, diagnose by LAUNCH s/w, found inner camshaft sensor error!, then replace with diagnose cost me RM400.
I think Rashid is well known here in electrical/electronics's problem for udm.
His shop just at the back row from Motorsport Division.

keane;258979 said:
Hi, i didn't change my gearbox .. i just change my ATF.....anyway, for ATF alone, they charge me about RM 500 to RM 600..

i think it's a pretty fair price..

thanks
keane

i know but was just wondering in an event of gearbox change, how much it will cost.. anyone?

emaveric;259385 said:
i know but was just wondering in an event of gearbox change, how much it will cost.. anyone?

well, what i heard, the worst case is about 8k...be prepared..

thanks
keane

keane;259439 said:
well, what i heard, the worst case is about 8k...be prepared..

thanks
keane

Noted, almost same cost as overhauling a RX8 ( every 80k km).
Am i right to said that for BMW, gearbox is the most costly item?

In my opinion, changing the gearbox might be jumping the gun too early unless you do not mind the cost. I believe you should check again what sort of ATF was replaced in your GB. E46 uses ZF5HP19 transmission and the only ATF recognized is Esso LT71141 ATF, (BMW p/n: 83-22-9-407-807). If you are using a different ATF, I would suggest that you service the GB first instead of opting to change it. Pls refer to the attached link for ZF5HP19 parts catalogue. It recommends only Esso LT71141 ATF, (BMW p/n: 83-22-9-407-807). http://www.automat.pl/infusions/pro_download_panel/downloads/5HP19[4].pdf.

Additional guide on ATF for BMWs.
http://www.taligentx.com/passat/maintenance/atfchange/BMW_ATF.pdf

GB service is done by dismounting the GB, removing the torque converters, oil pans and strainer to empty almost all ATF inside the GB. Then, replace the seals (torque converter, output shaft, shift lever), 2 oil cooler pipe O rings and the oil pan gasket to ensure no leakage when you fill up the new ATF. You also need to change the GB strainer. You would need about 9 to 10 liters refill as the GB is almost totally empty.

I am not sure whether you can or where can you buy this ATF in Malaysia apart from BMW appointed dealers and service centers as it is being sold in the amount of 20 liters and 205 liters only, thus it is expensive. I did ask around the spare parts shop and they said they do not carry these coz it is too expensive and some can order for me but the price is a bit exorbitant. However, my friend did a an ATF top up at a BMW service center dealer (~1 liter) due to a leaking oil seal for his E46 a few months ago. I believe he told me he was charged between rm150 to rm200 for the ATF.

You can also refer to the http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166135 for the price in US. I quote “The original fluid in this transmission is Esso ATF LT71141, a synthetic blend that BMW sells in 20L barrels for $28/L (yes, you read right, $560 bucks a barrel). It is expensive” For comparison, this is the price in the UK. http://www.oil-store.co.uk/?path=item&id=378

I have seen 4 problematic GBs serviced and function as normal again once serviced. 1 E36 318i and 2 E36 325i using GM 4LP30 transmission and 1 730 e38 using ZF 5HP18 transmission. These GBs had gear change delay, thumping sound when engaging gear and lack of acceleration and occasional jerking. 2 of them (325 E36 and 730 E38) had the gear box indicator turned on at the meter. The root cause for the E36s GB problem was overused ATF while the E38 was due to wrongly used ATF, the transmission started showing a problem after 2 days of changing the ATF. All were fortunately sorted out with GB service and the key solution is to use the recommended ATF. Nevertheless, the desired result also depends that other stuff in the GB are not damaged like the clutch plate, body valves and others. The longer you use the wrong or overused ATF, then the higher probability of damaged transmission components. If they are damaged, then I think you might as well change the GB or rebuild.

Hope the sharing helps.

planta

bro planta knows how to dismantle and put up the gearbox together...dont main main with him about gearbox..dont play play ar...

GB

keane;258598 said:
Hi Sushi,

Thanks for sharing your experince, In facts, i also need to wait 2 to 3 mins warming up the enginer then everything is fine....good to hear it's normal..but i will keep good track on the gearbox, coz i heard from expert, the most expensive repaid for bimmer is gearbox and the repair cost can shoot up to 8k....

Oh by the way, fyi, i encouter this problem before i flush my ATF but the problem still exist after i flush my ATF....hope this is normal though.

In case, you want to flush your ATF after 8K Km, i recommend AMG at taman mayang, it's cheaper than stuart....:) just a recommendation...

Keep me posted once your problem subside....

thanks,
BMWowner

Hi Keane,

I also did my 1st ever UDM service at AMG.. The owner is quite nice, recommended from REDZONE.. pricing as well..

Did they flush and change new atf or just changed it for u.. also did it cost $500 to $600..

tq

Sorry guys, I a bit new to your accronyms. Where exactly is UDM service at AMG?

Thanks.

Sushi69;259965 said:
Hi Keane,

I also did my 1st ever UDM service at AMG.. The owner is quite nice, recommended from REDZONE.. pricing as well..

Did they flush and change new atf or just changed it for u.. also did it cost $500 to $600..

tq

Hi,

They flush and change the new ATF for me....yes, it cost about 500 to 600...fyi, that time i also service my car, total lump sum..it's about RM750+++...

what i like is, the boss is very friendly, almost every single question you ask about bimmer or merc, he can answer...

by the way, they have their own club, call BMBenz, but mostly club member upgrade their car to MAX....fyi, they don't have "stock" car in club..heehe..

wanna join them but shame,...how to catch up with M5 or 3 series supercharged engine ?

thanks
keane

Hi guys,

it's been a month since i did my update here. Anyway, my GB still delaying and everyday i need to move from D to S then to M1 to move my car.

But, one fine morning, while i move to M2 and move a few kilometre, out of suddenly my gearbox light comes up and my car losing power and i keep pressing my gas, it won't move.

Gosh, my first thought is, there goes my "god-knows" how much money. So i drive to AMG and the engineer help me to reset my GB and he checked and double checked. He said, nothing big for my GB.

But, he said, that doesn't mean no problem on my gearbox, i asked him, how can you rectify the problem? why every morning i need to move to S and to M1 to move my car.

He said, he need to rule out the gearbox and see.

So guys, anyone know what happen on my GB? at least let me had a peace of mind to move my car smoothly every morning.

Does it really need to rule out the gearbox? Overhaul?

thanks
keane

for keane

keane,

i think your car is a used car that may have been abused by the previous owner. if you've done the gear exercise during morning cold starts and atf + filter change but the gear box still jerks, it means there could be some other fault component. it may be the gear switch just below the gear stick having worn off causing the contact between the gears to be lesser, or it may be some bearing or valve at the gear box itself.

you need a good mechanic who's competent with gearbox. do ask around.

MRTA.chew;272519 said:
keane,

i think your car is a used car that may have been abused by the previous owner. if you've done the gear exercise during morning cold starts and atf + filter change but the gear box still jerks, it means there could be some other fault component. it may be the gear switch just below the gear stick having worn off causing the contact between the gears to be lesser, or it may be some bearing or valve at the gear box itself.

you need a good mechanic who's competent with gearbox. do ask around.

Hi Chew,

that's for your reply, after so long i'm waiting for someone who can reply me. YES, i bought that as second hand and i believe that what you said the previous owner abuse the car.

So, do you have any idea where is the good place or good person who can recommend to me, and normally how much does it cost to fix that?

Most importantly, is it some sort of overhauling exercise and need to take out the whole gearbox and fix it?

please advise coz i think i need to prepare some saving for that happen.

:( :(

Thanks,
keane

Bro, I just overhaul my GB. Cost me 7.8k. Took a week to accomplish. I did it cos I totally lost reverse. Since yr UDM is 2nd hand, as I mech suggested to me (he thought I got mine 2nd hand). Take yr key to AB and slot it in there machine (dunno what's it called). Apparently, that will tell u the actual mileage. Mileage on yr dash can me adjusted, but not the key. Maybe that can tell u a little more about yr car.

Ah ya... AB do charge for this service. Good luck.

keane;272574 said:
Hi Chew,

that's for your reply, after so long i'm waiting for someone who can reply me. YES, i bought that as second hand and i believe that what you said the previous owner abuse the car.

So, do you have any idea where is the good place or good person who can recommend to me, and normally how much does it cost to fix that?

Most importantly, is it some sort of overhauling exercise and need to take out the whole gearbox and fix it?

please advise coz i think i need to prepare some saving for that happen.

:( :(

Thanks,
keane

Keane,

Sorry to hear your GB problem, cos that is one thing I scared most. I had my e34 525 GM 4 speed GB overhauled b4, bcos of leaking and no history of ever serviced in the past 12 yrs. I got it done at Mspeed by Kenny (not mistaken around $5k), and been driving it without problem since I last trade it in. The mileage was 150k km, and believe can push on another 100k without problem. At least get another opinion, cos I feel overhaul with new parts is better than replacing a used unit without history.

Good luck.

chaiks;272770 said:
Keane,

Sorry to hear your GB problem, cos that is one thing I scared most. I had my e34 525 GM 4 speed GB overhauled b4, bcos of leaking and no history of ever serviced in the past 12 yrs. I got it done at Mspeed by Kenny (not mistaken around $5k), and been driving it without problem since I last trade it in. The mileage was 150k km, and believe can push on another 100k without problem. At least get another opinion, cos I feel overhaul with new parts is better than replacing a used unit without history.

Good luck.

Yup, i agree with u

Alan Teh;273046 said:
Yup, i agree with u

Hi all,

After a long consideration, i decided to bring my car to do a thorough checking for my GB.

However, my friend told me to bring back to AB and let them check, so if anything happen, i can appeal to AB..probably it will cut off some cost there. ( fyi, my model is 2004, just after warranty, there's a possibility i can appeal for new gearbox).

On the other hand, i'm was thinking to let outside experience mechanics to let them dissemble my GB...the worst is overhaul with about RM 6 to 7k..

Guys, which is better? AB might charge me a lot even if i let them dissemble my GB and check, but the best thing is, i might got a chance to appeal my new gearbox..however....other outside mechanics might charge inexpensive dissemble and check, ..

there's pros and cons...please help me to decide.

thanks
keane

three 18;272769 said:
Bro, I just overhaul my GB. Cost me 7.8k. Took a week to accomplish. I did it cos I totally lost reverse. Since yr UDM is 2nd hand, as I mech suggested to me (he thought I got mine 2nd hand). Take yr key to AB and slot it in there machine (dunno what's it called). Apparently, that will tell u the actual mileage. Mileage on yr dash can me adjusted, but not the key. Maybe that can tell u a little more about yr car.

Ah ya... AB do charge for this service. Good luck.

dear bro,

just wanna ask this, if the key can tell you the actual mileage regardless of the dash reading, what about if you use your spare key or another set of key which you uses rarely compared to the first key? Surely the less used key will have the mileage from its last use and not the current reading from the dash? Any ideas?

Top Bottom