E46 2002-2004 (2.0) vs E46 2000-2001(1.9)

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
I have it on good authority that the valvetronic 2.0 engine is a piece of crap (reliability wise) but don't quote me on that...just repeating what a popular mech on this forum told me... :top:

Welcome

Welcome to the club....
I got myself an e46 2000 1.9 in July 07. Never looked back since then...

Thought of face lift but could set u back by around RM 5k

the M43 has better torque because it's singlecam compared to N42 which is DOHC. For any DOHC engines (without VANOS), you need to milk to the engine at the higher rev to obtain the power.

Looking into buying a BMW

elwine30;290807 said:
the M43 has better torque because it's singlecam compared to N42 which is DOHC. For any DOHC engines (without VANOS), you need to milk to the engine at the higher rev to obtain the power.

I have very little knowledge about BMW. BMWis my dream car but i did not go for it because i can't afford the new one. And the old one may give me a thought of a lot problem. keep changing part ......bla..bla.... Recently, my friend introduced one of BMW seller to me, he wants to sell his YR2003 BMW320i E46 (80,000km) for RM140k. When i read the newspaper just now, i saw the some dealer is selling RM138k for unregistered. Which is better?????

I am driving the new camry 2.0 now, i can't find the power feeling from this car. Is the 320i has the same feeling or should i go for 325i. Does anyone know how much is the petrol consumtion for these models? My camry now is 7.8km/l, very expensive for me to drive it around KL area. I am real estate agent, i drive a lot. so petrol is also a concern because the price may go up after March...... Please give some advice SIFU....Thank you.

Bro,

I got mine (E46 1.9 2001) last year in Sept. Till now I didn't face any major problem (thanks god). Only done normal servicing. So far the car performs ok. If you need speed still adalah, but kena tekan a bit then the car can go. What did you aspect when you purchase 1.9 compare to 2.0, 2.5, 2.8 & 3.3

I think is a good decision to own bimmer man.............................
(My wife dream car)

astroboy;287917 said:
Plastic or polycarbonate headlights is because of (not mistaken) America wanted it for road safety. All cars imported into America after certain year must adhere to the rules.

You sure? I was in US many years, working for Auto Industries. Never know this rule exist. :rolleyes:
1. glass is heavier
2. glass cost more
3. harder to manufacture. Plastic can easily made to any shape and sizes.

elwine30;290807 said:

SOHC or DOHC has little to do with revving the engine to obtain power.
Bore X Stroke is what you need to look at.
Shorter Stroke usually mean high revving engine, whereas bigger bore give a better torque output at low rpms.
DOHC aids volumetric effieciency at high rpms. So does any Valve Mananement including VANOS.

on the fuel consumption, I got a little above 10km/l for short distance / town driving, but for highway, depending on how you drive, I got between 13-14km/l.
BTW, mine is 318i 1.9 (Jap spec, 2001), bought in 2005.

Enjoy your UDM.

Polluxcapella, yours is a manual transmission or auto ar?

just curious...i am looking for one now. do you think it is a better buy than E46 2001-2004 2.0CC? because heard from this forum that model need a lot of high maintenance fees.

cheers bro! Happy riding

I've sold my e36 325 and one of a potential buyer of e46 (or maybe not).
I've talked to 2 of my regular bmw foremen, both said the same thg, dont buy 318 2.0- while showing all the 2.0s in the wrkshp (Gasket prob + need overhaul!!) ..
had phobia since then...*just for consideration

318 is really underpowered. Unless you just want the 'BMW' badge, I suggest you go for 323 and above.

Been quiet on this thread.

Any 318i 2.0 owners want to share their experience in owning their 2.0? What preventive maintenance do you follow to avoid the "popular" N42 problems? Regular oil change, ie every 6,000 km, etc.

One mechanic at Kayu Ara also told me to avoid Valvetronic and recommend the 1.9 if i considering 4 cyclinders. But when I think about the hp, aiyaa nowdays 1.6cc can get 125hp. The torque might just enough for the weight.

I agree with Planta, take the 328 which is about the same price. But "the great power come with the great responsibility". :vroam:

My "engineer" in Subang also said to avoid 318i 2.0. But what I'd like to know and I'm sure newbies too, what are current owners' experience.

Buy E46 1.9 and if you need more power change the engine to M42 and you are all set to go.

318is half cut sell RM4500 in "autoworld.com". So, probably go for cheap E36 and get that half cut. I personally rather to get 318is than E46 1.9. But sadly, no 318is sedan in market.

No 318is sedan in market then you can always convert one yourself. While you are at it try converting it to 318is class II even better

From what I have read here about the N42 engine (318i 2.0), most of the problems related to engine is either the sludge built-up or leakage. Right? So why service every 25k? I think if you service every 10k, sludge issue would not so much happen. In terms of leakage, which engine don't leak?

salam

eloo bro..i rizuan from penang...just to share yr experience .....i just bought bmw 1.9...so how to contact u...my no is 019-4589167

Top Bottom