E39 widescreen display

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

hamilton

Club Guest
Hi, all,Greetings.I have been trying to dig up some old threads regarding this subject but I am unable to get myself an answer.I hope you sifu can enlighten me. Thank very much.Ok, this is my question:My ride is a 1998 UK specs 528, I'm thinking of retrofitting a 16:9 widescreen display without the navigation computer (or install later). Can it work ? Can it be just plug and play ? And still able to operate the radio, cd changer, in car phone as well as obc ?Thank you.Hamilton

It is not plug and play.

The 16:9 navi unit has 2 connectors like this:

Cable.jpg

while the MID only has one.

P1010321.jpg

P1010323.jpg

Dear bmw7833 and haywire,

Thank you so much for your reply.

I will take note and explore further.

Again, thanks.

Best regards,
Hamilton

I read up a bit more, and found out that you'll also need a new BM53/BM54 radio module in order to replace the radio function. So you'll need:

1) 16:9 screen

2) TV Tuner/Navi computer (either one or both)

3) BM54/BM53 radio tuner

4) Wiring loom

5) If you bought the nav computer then you'll also need the GPS module to connect to it.

These will turn out to be VERY expensive, you might be better off installing the Hualingan type double din screen, and relocate the MID to your glovebox to maintain OBC functions.

haywire;673478 said:
I read up a bit more, and found out that you'll also need a new BM53/BM54 radio module in order to replace the radio function. So you'll need:

1) 16:9 screen

2) TV Tuner/Navi computer (either one or both)

3) BM54/BM53 radio tuner

4) Wiring loom

5) If you bought the nav computer then you'll also need the GPS module to connect to it.

These will turn out to be VERY expensive, you might be better off installing the Hualingan type double din screen, and relocate the MID to your glovebox to maintain OBC functions.

Hi, there,

Thanks so much for your input, really appreciate it.

Yup, I agreed that it is very expensive, no quite worth doing it.

I did once considered the Hualingan type but I will lose the OBC (as I don't rally want to relocate the MID to the glovebox as it will take up the space.

I guess I will have to put aside this crazy idea .....

Cheers.

Hamilton

The many "conversion sets" available in ebay seem to have their prices sliced in the past year+, from approx RM5k shipped to approx RM4k shipped, for a full set of wiring harness c/w MK4, TV Tuner, BM53/54 or some with BM23/24 etc etc...

This crazily-priced conversion option is only for those who want to preserve OBC features....

I "accidentally" checked the price while searching for BM24 and BM54 module....

If am not wrong danavin multimedia RM2200 has OBC feature. That's the cheapest, latest tech for our cars

anaksarawak;786027 said:
If am not wrong danavin multimedia RM2200 has OBC feature. That's the cheapest, latest tech for our cars

Many brands offer OBC viewing but not setting, for example resetting the values of CONS1, etc.

Top Bottom