e39 Headlights - From USA

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

azwanb

Club Guest
I have been browsing eBay and have seen loads of funky looking headlights for the e39. My question is, will they fit the e39s here? Mine is a CKD. I have heard that the sockets for US and Europe are different for the lights. Not sure why but which standard does Malaysia follow? Or are my facts wrong? If cannot buy these fancy stuff, where is the best place to shop for it in KL? I asked one of the vendors here, it was RM1800 for a taiwanese brand. Any cheaper ka?

azwanb said:
I have been browsing eBay and have seen loads of funky looking headlights for the e39. My question is, will they fit the e39s here? Mine is a CKD. I have heard that the sockets for US and Europe are different for the lights. Not sure why but which standard does Malaysia follow? Or are my facts wrong?

If cannot buy these fancy stuff, where is the best place to shop for it in KL? I asked one of the vendors here, it was RM1800 for a taiwanese brand. Any cheaper ka?

Bro,
Based on my experience, those "fancy" lights you saw at e-bay is taiwanese-made as well. They are called depo headlamps. If I were you, i will stick to ori headlamps coz they give you the most evenly distributed beams and most important, no error code on your OBC. Saw one guy selling at bmw-sg if not mistaken. Check it out over there...:)

Aaah. Now I understand why u switched back to the oris... :) Cheers bro.

Sick of my lamps become less and less clear despite sending it for special polish. What would be the estimated price of one that will not get me those error messages?

Jerman, u changed yours as well kan? Berapa damage? PM me if you can please. Cheers.

Any opinion on changing to Philips 55W Plus Vision or Philips 55W Xenon Xtreme White bulbs on E39 standard lamp.
I feel that origal lamp is not bright enough.

wmd82;192843 said:
Any opinion on changing to Philips 55W Plus Vision or Philips 55W Xenon Xtreme White bulbs on E39 standard lamp.
I feel that origal lamp is not bright enough.

In general, people have been disappointed after changing to bulbs that advertise extra output at the same wattage (55W). There are many choices out there, one of the more popular choices is the Osram Silverstar bulbs which you can get in ENEOS. They are not tinted blue but somehow put out a whiter light with more output.

I personally have the Silverstar and don't think it's worth the switch. The increase in output is very slight and not that noticeable. It's also only a little bit more white.

The Philips Xenon Xtreme White sounds like they'll be tinted blue. In that case, don't buy it. It may LOOK brighter because somehow our eyes interpret whiter as brighter. But the output (in lumens) will be less. Any tint is a colour filter and will decrease output.

The Plus Vision sounds like the Osram Silverstar I have described above. In the end, halogen is halogen as long as they are the same wattage.

I am using Philips Xenon Xtreme White in my AUDI A4 and I dont notice any brighter just less yellow.

Standard 4800K bulb is the best for human eyes and our road's tone color. Meaning... ori bulb la... Cheap and effective.

how much is the reasonable price range the angel eyes for e39?
coz i quoted some rm 199 and rm 399? some over 1k? really got no idea.. pls advice all the sifus

MrKJ;194363 said:
how much is the reasonable price range the angel eyes for e39?
coz i quoted some rm 199 and rm 399? some over 1k? really got no idea.. pls advice all the sifus

Are you talking about the CCFL angel eyes for E39 or the whole headlamp upgrade from pre-facelift to post facelift (which includes angel eyes)?

bro roland,

i m not too sure of this. as wats the differences?
the existing version 1998 523i e39 is a preface lift or post face facelift? not much experience on this, as quite new here. so why is the price so difference? pls advice.TQ are they many types of ccfl angel eyes? autotechnika quoted rm 399 but underground puchong rm 199 for angel, wonder wats the difference? and some others i see they are up to 1k above? is this price inclusive changing the whole headlamp? :p pls advice

azwanb;182789 said:
I have been browsing eBay and have seen loads of funky looking headlights for the e39. My question is, will they fit the e39s here? Mine is a CKD. I have heard that the sockets for US and Europe are different for the lights. Not sure why but which standard does Malaysia follow? Or are my facts wrong?

If cannot buy these fancy stuff, where is the best place to shop for it in KL? I asked one of the vendors here, it was RM1800 for a taiwanese brand. Any cheaper ka?

Bro i thought you have got one set already..thinking of buying one more for spare ka..!! I've not got mine yet..

not yet

ICEman63;194547 said:
Bro i thought you have got one set already..thinking of buying one more for spare ka..!! I've not got mine yet..

aiyah iceman63 go & find it at the chop shop lah ....tat day bro jerman sold his for RM1k tuuuuuuuuuu.....happy finding

Bailey;194549 said:
aiyah iceman63 go & find it at the chop shop lah ....tat day bro jerman sold his for RM1k tuuuuuuuuuu.....happy finding

Looooh Mama Chop & Papa Chop adalah dont think they are selling one he he

MrKJ;194545 said:
bro roland,

i m not too sure of this. as wats the differences?
the existing version 1998 523i e39 is a preface lift or post face facelift? not much experience on this, as quite new here. so why is the price so difference? pls advice.TQ are they many types of ccfl angel eyes? autotechnika quoted rm 399 but underground puchong rm 199 for angel, wonder wats the difference? and some others i see they are up to 1k above? is this price inclusive changing the whole headlamp? :p pls advice

I think the 1998 E39 still have the pre-facelift headlamps. How to tell the difference? Well, first of all, it DOESN'T have angel eyes... that should be the most significant... Another difference is that the signal lamp and the headlamp are separated, the post-facelifted ones are not...

I think what autotechnika and underground quoted you are the same... basically it is just an add-on CCFL angel eyes (white color) to your current headlamps. If the price is above 1K, then it is for the whole headlamps (inclusive of angel eyes). For that price, I am quite sure what you are getting will be depo headlamps made in taiwan and the in-built angel eyes are yellow in color.

MrKJ,
Just snapped some photos of my car to show you how a post-facelifted headlamp should look like. I have converted
the ori angel eyes (yellow in color) to CCFL ones... Hope this helps...

headlamp.jpg

headlamp1.jpg

headlamp2.jpg

roland yeh it helps but of course can u bring me where to chge & how much bro plus all the lite white? tq

wow bro roland, that is nice.. how much u change the thing? the light that u displaying is the low beam or high beam? how much u change this angel eyes? wats the reasonable price range for this angel eyes thing? where do u fix this? as alot ppl ask me go to see in GC motorsport
TQ for advice

MrKJ and Bailey:
Hello brothers. I got my angel eyes from Taiwan when I was holidaying at Taipei a few months back. I fixed it at my regular fren's acc shop. Actually, MrKJ, you can fix it at GC motorsport as well. They are from JB actually and they have branches at KL as well. I dunno about the workmanship at KL but if you are at JB, then no problem coz I know the people there. The photos are just depicting the lights at "low beam", if I get you correctly. Reasonable price range? I would say anything below RM400???

Bailey:
Sorry for your miss call. Was busy with a customer just now. Call you tomorrow...

Top Bottom