E39 Headlamp Upgrade

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Replay

Club Guest
Wanted to share this, I've been comparing and complaining abt my E39 headlight brightness and "throw" the past 3 years. I've tried polishing outer plastic cover and changing the D2S bulbs but still with the same results. I almost purchased new set of hella headlamps but luckily didn't. I did the following instead;1. Retrofit a pair of FX Bi-Xenon Projectors2. Upgraded the stock ballast to a 50Watt unitPhase 1 is a retrofit of the FX projectors, read in a number of forums that the stock E39 projectors were not up to par although they produced a very nice uniform spread of light. The projector retrofit was the best thing I've done since the chip job. The amount of light the project throws on the road is fantastic, the cutoff is clear and no dark spots. I'm loving it!!!Phase 2 is an upgrade of the existing 35Watt ballast to a 50Watt unit, this increased light output slightly. I stuck to my current bulbs which are rated a 6k kelvins but its producing a nice white sheet of light on the road. Very nice to drive at night now, especially along dark roads.I'll post up some pictures tonight..well worth the $$ spent. I'm chuffed to bits with this upgrade.Here are the pictures;Shot of the projector installed into the headlamp, it looks very oem and cant tell the difference between the FX and the stock projectors
IMG_1438.jpg
This is a shot of the beam pattern against a wall, car was about 10ft away
IMG_1459.jpg
This is one when the car was about 20 ft away
IMG_1453.jpg
Shots below is taken on open roads
IMG_1450.jpg
IMG_1456.jpg
IMG_1457.jpg
CCFL AE which they helped me to install
IMG_1442.jpg

Congrats on your DIY!

Can't wait to see those pixies! :D

was your FX Bi-Xenon Projectors a direct P&P onto the holder?

bimmerholic;578167 said:
Congrats on your DIY!

Can't wait to see those pixies! :D

was your FX Bi-Xenon Projectors a direct P&P onto the holder?

I didnt do the projector retrofit myself as had problems cracking open the headlamp assembly the last time I tried. Went to a place that helped do the retrofit. They also helped to install the height adjusters and CCFL AE's.

I'm suffering from this 'light issue' since the day I got my udm.

Very interesting, do share pictures and place where you did the upgrades. Thanks

bimmerholic;578178 said:
what's the damage "$$$" like?

FX Bi-Xenon Projectors - RM450
50 Watt HID kit - RM250

Waiting for night time to snap some pictures.

Since now still bright outside, can u take the pic of the retrofit projectors (front view)? Thanks.

bro, never call me to go and see. how much was the workmanship?

hky;578298 said:
bro, never call me to go and see. how much was the workmanship?

Bro, nothing much to see really. I took out the headlights myself and brought them to his place. Didnt want to leave my car overnight at their place. Didnt stay and looks see how they did it. They took one day plus to do the projector retrofit and all the other small jobs I asked and 2 days later gave me back the headlamp. I installed it and wah la.... "let there be light" . Pretty painless...

Hi,
Do you mind to share the place you got the lights done? I too need the adjusters done and depending on your pictures(brightness improvement) i might want to go along your lines... pictures pls...

Replay;578295 said:
FX Bi-Xenon Projectors - RM450
50 Watt HID kit - RM250

Waiting for night time to snap some pictures.

bro,

thank u for your sharing.

appreciate if u can provide the contact where to buy the Bi-Xenon projectors & 50w HIDkit. thanks:rock:

Pictures up in the first post.

I'm not selling the projector and not making any profit from the referral but your free to contact Teh at 012-3886229. Very nice young chap. His partner Desmond is the guy whom actually does the retrofit but give Teh a buzz.

replay,
3 questions....
1. since lamp is bi xenon, when you switch on high light, all 4 light come On??
2. If yes, when you flash for overtaking, the xenons come On?
3. rm450 for lights, how much for workmanship?

thanks... sorry so many question...

I called Teh last week, the very nice young chap, he say no stock, i ask how much, he say don't know, will let me know soonest, i want to change my HID light too but have to wait...
icon9.gif

mikegoh;579913 said:
replay,
3 questions....
1. since lamp is bi xenon, when you switch on high light, all 4 light come On??
2. If yes, when you flash for overtaking, the xenons come On?
3. rm450 for lights, how much for workmanship?

thanks... sorry so many question...

1. I didnt splice my high beam wires, didnt want to the projectors to switch to high beam. I liked the original headlamp configuration
3. Workmanship was RM300

Happy upgrading bro.

Top Bottom