E39 Gearbox - Rebuild or Recond?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

ckchow7

Club Guest
Hey guys! Its been a while since i last written anything in the forum as I was busy enjoying my ride...Well to cut the long story short, the gearbox is starting to slip on my E39 525, 2002 with the mileage at 114k.Have been quoted a recond gearbox at RM 7k (have not begun negotiations yet) but I have been looking through the forums online and I am torn between rebuilding or changing to a reconditioned one. To the fellow E39ners, I could use some feedback from those who have rebuilt or have also changed to reconditioned gearboxes... how has it been so far? There hasn't been much feedback on the threads from those asking around on fixing their gear boxes...Some help? Anybody Thanks

Slip? Maybe just the Torque converter problem, get some opinion from other gearbox sifus, unless the recond Gearbox is very3 cheap, or else you might ended another gear box after 1-2 years. Just sent you a PM with some suggestion!

Have u changed the ATF oil and the filters yet? Do so if it had not been changed yet. If the problem persist, rebuilt would be better(for service history), get reconditioned gearbox if the price of overhauling the gearbox is equivalent which i think it is very unlikely. As what i've done to my auto gearbox of my E36 328i GM 4 speed gearbox, labour cost for overhauling gearbox is around RM1000, parts price around RM 2000++(overhaul kit and machining of some parts). Total ovehaul cost for me RM3100. Parts price varies between gearbox makes, model and also degree of damage on the gearbox. Good luck with your choice!cheers!

Bro,

You will have to understand first your gear box issues.

If worn - probably rebuild will be your choice for history purpose

But if burnt (running without oil) - better change to second hand from chop chop. The heat will have change the characteristic of the gear and you will have more issue in future.

WGT523;523666 said:
Bro,

You will have to understand first your gear box issues.

If worn - probably rebuild will be your choice for history purpose

But if burnt (running without oil) - better change to second hand from chop chop. The heat will have change the characteristic of the gear and you will have more issue in future.

Hey guys,

thanks for the respond.

I did the ATF Change last year in May when the mileage was at about 90k... I believe all the relevant parts were changed too... I did it with kenny from M sport in Sunwaymas...

I will discuss with kenny on the torque converter issue plus thanks to bro Zank, will also go to M Scope for an opinion.

Keep the suggestions coming in, while i will also keep updating the respective feedbacks from the mechs

Cheers

Top Bottom