e39 520i 2.2 JERKS AT HIGH GEAR

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Risk68

Club Guest
Bros, Im reposting this under e39...--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Bros, was searching through the forum and found this link. Btw, I logged in 5 moons ago after i acquired the 39 and have been very happy with it. due to work travel and family and social committments Ive not been able to contribute/share...my apologies for that... anyway, my headache started.. abt two days ago, whem i felt a sudden jerk (progressive) while travelling on the nkve..generally cruising at about 2500 rpm on 5the perhaps..it was intermittent and appeared to dissapear after a little pressure on the paddle..it happened again this afternoon...the same jerk plus a a very brief mechanical sound (like two rotating parts hitting each other)..got worried and took the car to the workshop...test drove with the sifu but this time the jerk wasnt so bad...and after some undercarriage check, he mentioned the dreaded word ie 'gear box'...worst case scenario wud be a major burn in the pocket...also bumped into my dealer conincidentally who dimissed it as gearbox issue...said possibly sensors and that to check at his workshop...also took it to my frendly neighbourhood mechanic who also seem to dismiss gearbox (but he didnt test drive the car)...said probably the plugs, plugs cables, or perhaps the fuel (i mix shell and primax sometimes and recently ron 95 of both versions)......of course i want to believe its the petrol, plugs and such...but could it actually be the gearbox??I read about the mass airflow cleaning by eterna22...(thanks for the post bro) any idea if this could be a possible cure??hope i can get some feedback soon as need to solve the matter before i start travelling again...thanks bros..

I had this problem on my car. Two things were done and the problem went away, but because the two things were done simultaneously not sure what the issue was exactly.

1. My car did not have any air filter installed by mistake.
2. Cleaned the MAF.

I did not have any mechanical sounds though, just the jerk. More pressure on the pedal solved it too.

Risk68;452811 said:
Bros, Im reposting this under e39...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bros, was searching through the forum and found this link. Btw, I logged in 5 moons ago after i acquired the 39 and have been very happy with it. due to work travel and family and social committments Ive not been able to contribute/share...my apologies for that...

anyway, my headache started.. abt two days ago, whem i felt a sudden jerk (progressive) while travelling on the nkve..generally cruising at about 2500 rpm on 5the perhaps..it was intermittent and appeared to dissapear after a little pressure on the paddle..

it happened again this afternoon...the same jerk plus a a very brief mechanical sound (like two rotating parts hitting each other)..

got worried and took the car to the workshop...test drove with the sifu but this time the jerk wasnt so bad...and after some undercarriage check, he mentioned the dreaded word ie 'gear box'...

worst case scenario wud be a major burn in the pocket...

also bumped into my dealer conincidentally who dimissed it as gearbox issue...said possibly sensors and that to check at his workshop...

also took it to my frendly neighbourhood mechanic who also seem to dismiss gearbox (but he didnt test drive the car)...said probably the plugs, plugs cables, or perhaps the fuel (i mix shell and primax sometimes and recently ron 95 of both versions)...

...of course i want to believe its the petrol, plugs and such...but could it actually be the gearbox??

I read about the mass airflow cleaning by eterna22...(thanks for the post bro) any idea if this could be a possible cure??

hope i can get some feedback soon as need to solve the matter before i start travelling again...

thanks bros..

Bro check your fuel pump and filter......It happen to me some months back bad jerks had to practcally crawl to workshop...tested with a MAF from another car was ok for about half hour then the car stalled could start but zero power to move....left the car at friends place and took cab home...next day mechanic check and it was the fuel pump failed. no jerks after that....

e39 520i 2.2 still JERKS...con't

Gentlemen, thanks for all your comments.

Buzzlie, yes Ive been on 95 only recently.

anyway, i had to make a dash to Ipoh on Friday, so took the risk.
my fren took me to his workshop at Kaw Perindustrian Slibin. Based on symptoms, the boss cheked my fuel filter and it was indeed very dirty...so it was replaced (cost RM 290). Also did my service there as it was due. the drive back to Kl last nite was OK...but stil had jerks when i had to slowdown and then pick up speed again...but generally much better than the past few days...however this morning, im back to square 1. so im taking to the workshop to get the MAF cleaned, injectors cleaned (shud i?) and then the fuel pump checked/replaced in that order.

Thanks again all, you have been great help! Cheers and enjoy ur Sunday!

Same

Had the same prob, think it was last month; went to Naidu and correctly diagnosed as bad spark plugs. Rectified ever since.

Risk68;454243 said:
Gentlemen, thanks for all your comments.

Buzzlie, yes Ive been on 95 only recently.

anyway, i had to make a dash to Ipoh on Friday, so took the risk.
my fren took me to his workshop at Kaw Perindustrian Slibin. Based on symptoms, the boss cheked my fuel filter and it was indeed very dirty...so it was replaced (cost RM 290). Also did my service there as it was due. the drive back to Kl last nite was OK...but stil had jerks when i had to slowdown and then pick up speed again...but generally much better than the past few days...however this morning, im back to square 1. so im taking to the workshop to get the MAF cleaned, injectors cleaned (shud i?) and then the fuel pump checked/replaced in that order.

Thanks again all, you have been great help! Cheers and enjoy ur Sunday!

Just a suggestion ... maybe u want to change back to RON97 and see how it goes.

Ron 95 ok the knock sensor will re adjust...I think the fuel pump has lack of pressure and time to go.

Top Bottom