E39-Jerking and unable to low gear while up/down hill

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
if it were a failed ignition coil, you'd definitely feel it regardless of whether you're going uphill or on a flat road.

I've had 2 ignitions coils fail within a week of each other, had loss of power and very rough idle.

Have you considered getting a second opinion?

By reading more this definitely worth for second n third opinion ... Just my guess the mechanic you are dealing with probably never faced this kind of issue before and might be his first time ... just helping to narrow down the issue though ...

hello everyone,

thank you all for your valuable inputs. went to see the mechanic last week and after checking the ignition coil #3 was informed the 'injector' have issue. therefore changed the injector but problem persist. have changed 2 mechanic already and im out of ideas what to do next...

hello,

finally found the culprit to the issue. apparently its one of the valve that is sitting at hole no #3 is broken. Pls find attached pictures.

unfortunately, the mechanic have to open up the engine to find this out. and it wasnt cheap either. as advised by mechanic, besides replacing the valve, the valve head and the cylinder head that the valve sit on will need to be trim and pressured tested at engineering workshop. also a top overhaul will be performed...

total damage :
1.labour for opening and fixing back the engine - Rm800
2.engineering labour - Rm550
3.top overhaul set (various seals, gasket seal and thick metal gasket) - Rm720
4.valve - Rm60

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    195.8 KB · Views: 22
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    121.1 KB · Views: 22
jarance said:
Could be detected by doing a compression test if the valve is broken. Anyway, glad to know that the root cause is known.
i see. should have done this test instead if knew earlier.. well car still in workshop..gonna take few more days...thanks for all the support guys :rock:

d4ngerz0ne said:
bummerr. least you finally know whats wrong.
yeah bro. its a pain and $$ trying to find this out..it was either opening the engine up and finding out whats wrong or changing another engine..went to a few half cut shop and couldn't really decide which engine to get, even if i change the new engine, couldnt know for sure the engine is in good condition. at least fixing my own engine can have more peace of mind...hehe :rock:

Sorry to all bros ... nothing secret 1 la ... its just im suggesting a reliable mechanic in segambut ... lol .... Glad you solved the issue finally .... that's a big release ... I thought wanna sell my e60 to bro Transporter already ...

Hi Guys, knew to this. No offence to those who owned the F10 / E60. I wanted to buy the E60 as it has a nicer and more up to date look. But my mechanic advised me that the E60 has many issues and advice me to go for the E39 which i did in Jan 2016. Though i had to spend to fix the car up with faults here and there, the overall feeling of the E39 M54 engine year 2001 local specs, was satisfying and enjoyable. I am learning the in and outs of this E39 from the various postings and feedbacks. Thanks guys. From Johore Bahru

Providence2 said:
Hi Guys, knew to this. No offence to those who owned the F10 / E60. I wanted to buy the E60 as it has a nicer and more up to date look. But my mechanic advised me that the E60 has many issues and advice me to go for the E39 which i did in Jan 2016. Though i had to spend to fix the car up with faults here and there, the overall feeling of the E39 M54 engine year 2001 local specs, was satisfying and enjoyable. I am learning the in and outs of this E39 from the various postings and feedbacks. Thanks guys. From Johore Bahru
If I am not mistaken some E60 use M54b25 engine.

Been using my e60 M54 engine for 5 years now. If all the wear n tear taken care accordingly I don't see its that high. Just different ppl have have different views about it. Just my 0.05 cent worth of opinion.

jarance said:
If I am not mistaken some E60 use M54b25 engine.
yes....I have an M54B25 on my 2004 E60 with 190k kms.
engine idles quieter than my 2015 livina with 12k kms

Did my homework and also spoke to a few people and mechanics. The E39 was powered by M52 engine for earlier models before 2001. The M54 engines was used for the later E39 and the earlier E60. So I m fitted with the M54 which has a better feel and gear box.

Top Bottom