E36 ABS

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Prince

Club Guest
Dear sifu,My E36 brake will had serious vibration when drive in raining (when i do emergency brake). Sometime even worst that i can stop the car. Any sifu know what happen to my car?? Oh ya, somtime the ABS light will on for nothing, but after i switch off and turn on the engine again, the light disappear. Is that becase of the faulty of ABS sensor??? How much it cost??Thanks!!!

Serious vibration? I think it is more than the ABS. Better have the entire brake system check, dude

But everythime when i start to move the car (less than 5 meter), a vibrating sound come from engine bay and if i padel the brake at that time, i can feel the brake padel vibrate. :beaten: Something like the ABS is functioning. But the vibration is too hard. That why i think is the ABS problem. :(

Huh?? What u means by brake discs check?? Coz i did normal service by last August. :getyourfactsright: What is the effect of not checking that???

Thanks!!

huiyoh so angry face :D when ask for advise

BMW is famous for its rotor to wear in short period

most of the brake problems including the lit of the ABS lights is due to the rotor which has got thinner and uneven

most of the old timer of BMW will know this.

put rotor as your priority check as there is hardly any other than the rotor

:getyourfactsright: :lol:

May I ask where you service your car?

By the way, when you do emergency brake during rain and the car vibrates as you put it, it is most likely your ABS working.... it pulses the brakes to help it stop better.

If you have difficulty stopping the car, check the brake pads as well.

Another question, have you flushed your brake fluid before? It's part of regular brake maintenance.

bmwsideways

Ha ha ha!!! I am not angry with u guys. I am angry with my car.

Lee36328

I can't really remember where the service did. Because i am not the one who go and do it. Any recomanded workshop???

Originally posted by Prince@Mar 29 2006, 01:28 AM
bmwsideways

Lee36328

I can't really remember where the service did. Because i am not the one who go and do it. Any recomanded workshop???
Try M1. They seems to know what they are doing, though a tad more expensive ;)

Let's try to narrow this down a bit.

Warped discs can cause juddering/vibration during braking at highish speeds regardless of the weather. However, your brakes seem to vibrate only when it rains...

As far as I know, the omission to replace the brake fluid should not cause vibration during braking. I heard it may cause brake sponginess, though.

Rapid pulses/vibration during braking show that your ABS has kicked in. But I note that you said your ABS light comes on. Perhaps you should check your ABS system, then.

Originally posted by wglee@Mar 30 2006, 08:57 AM
Let's try to narrow this down a bit.

Warped discs can cause juddering/vibration during braking at highish speeds regardless of the weather. However, your brakes seem to vibrate only when it rains...

As far as I know, the omission to replace the brake fluid should not cause vibration during braking. I heard it may cause brake sponginess, though.

Rapid pulses/vibration during braking show that your ABS has kicked in. But I note that you said your ABS light comes on. Perhaps you should check your ABS system, then.
Since he linked his description to rain and emergency brake, it would appear his brake is indeed spongy, "sometime even worst that i can stop the car".

It may be that owing to spongy brakes, he panics when the car does not stop, and stomps on the brakes, triggering the ABS. This may be more prevalent during rainy weather owing to road conditions causing more reasons to stomp on emergency brake. It does not rule out that it happens during dry weather too, except probably less dramatic, and hence not as obvious to his recollection.

Which is why the discs should be checked. May not be warped. Could simply be worn thin. Also need to check the pads as well. And the fluids. And finally, after eliminating the less-expensive items, which sounds like they are due anyway, the ABS obviously.

However, if he goes to a less-than-capable or less-than-honest mechanic, the most expensive part which is the ABS is where they may start.

Originally posted by Prince@Mar 29 2006, 02:28 PM
bmwsideways

Lee36328

Prince,

I service mine at M1, Kayu Ara.

Might be useful to know a little bit about your car maintenance history, or at least which workshop it is maintained at... you were not the one to service it last time.... just wondering, did you just buy the car? Or you have a friend/relative/mechanic/maid? that sends your car in?

And not knowing where your own car is serviced, you are angry at it? If your car has feelings, she should be angry w you, doncha think?

Shower her wth tlc and she will reward in kind. Enjoy.

Lee36328

OK, the story is like this. Myself driving a E30 and the E36 is actually drive by my girlfriend. I bought the car by June 2005 as second hand. I am the third owner. The car is well maintain by previous owner. When i get the car,
my girlfriend's father is the one who took the car for the 1st service due to my busy workload. So i am not really know where he had sent it to. For me, my usual workshop is lacated in kayu ara - Optimum.

Ok, since u all recomand M1, then i may have a try. Actually i had been there once on my E30. But is a bit expensive.

Thank you!!

Your topic has been towed to the appropriate section, in the future please refer to the main forum page for guidance.
There will be a link from the original place of posting leading to the new place (This states the approriate place).
If this thread is a tech question and if you are not sure which catergory to post under, please post under general tech.
If this thread is a 'FS or WTB' then post in the classifieds.

Thank You

-The Moderator

Top Bottom