e36 328i gearbox problem

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

kbb25sss

Club Guest
hi all, just registered as member today. kinda new to all this actually.i owe a '96 e36 328i which i bought second hand in late 2002. the mileage is now 315k and the car now having gearbox problem, well...reverse gear problem, second and third also problem. well...it is stranded at home. just wanna get the info whether is it normal for the gearbox to give away within the mileage range?...and what are other options rather than replacing with 2nd hand gearbox. btw...what's the price range of replacing 2nd hand gear box?could anyone please advise...

kbb25sss;501559 said:
hi all, just registered as member today. kinda new to all this actually.

i owe a '96 e36 328i which i bought second hand in late 2002. the mileage is now 315k and the car now having gearbox problem, well...reverse gear problem, second and third also problem. well...it is stranded at home. just wanna get the info whether is it normal for the gearbox to give away within the mileage range?

...and what are other options rather than replacing with 2nd hand gearbox. btw...what's the price range of replacing 2nd hand gear box?

could anyone please advise...

well gear box giving way highly depends on ya periodic maintainance method and driving style ...as for 315K that's pretty high assuming you may be travelling quite a lot ...

other option
1) rebuilt it ...cost would be somewhere 4K ~ 7K
2) change to manual box whereby the cost would be same as item no 1 ...
3) replacing one from chop shop ...depends as for GM4 speed would fetch about 2~3K and Zf higher than the GM

2 cento

yup, iceman 13...i travel quite a lot but as for the gearbox oil, i always change it once a year. it only started a few months back when the gear can hardly change. after going to my mechanics in jln ipoh (i asked them to change the gear oil) they said it only worsen the problem as new oil tends to make the gear slips...which i don't know if that's really true...thus ended up not doing anything. then slowly the gearbox started to giving away.

questions...
1. what does u mean by rebuilt it?
2. what does GM4 speed and Zf means?
3. any recommended chop shop which i check for 2nd hand 'box?

iceman13...thanks for info

kbb25sss;501575 said:
yup, iceman 13...i travel quite a lot but as for the gearbox oil, i always change it once a year. it only started a few months back when the gear can hardly change. after going to my mechanics in jln ipoh (i asked them to change the gear oil) they said it only worsen the problem as new oil tends to make the gear slips...which i don't know if that's really true...thus ended up not doing anything. then slowly the gearbox started to giving away.

questions...
1. what does u mean by rebuilt it?
2. what does GM4 speed and Zf means?
3. any recommended chop shop which i check for 2nd hand 'box?

iceman13...thanks for info

wel bro ..just try changing the atf first ..that;s the cheapest solution ...

rebuilt : every single bits and pieces is torn apart and replaced
1) there are 2 type of GB available ... GM usually comes with 4 speed and the ZF comes with 5 speed
3) recommended chop shop ... this one is like walking into a market with diferrent price tags around ... you may try those around kampung melayu subang or kota kemuning side

there is a pro in GB located in batu caves ..need to search somewhere around in this forum as there are some that had done there and seems to be happy with their work ...

why not opt for manual :)

Mscope I think the place in batu caves. Heard a lot of good things about that place.

iceman 13, loafer...thanks bro. googled mscope and found some good reviews regarding their work. should ask for quotes. are there any more workshops good in this?

if i opt for ZF, will i need to modify/change other parts/settings knowing now that my 'box is GM?

iceman 13...think i'm gonna stick with auto 'box just for now considering traffic jams getting worse and worse in kl. btw, went to my usual workshop this morning and they still insisted that changing atf won't give any effect. they said better for me to buy 325i half cut and change 'box together with the engine as well. emmm...don't think that's a good idea though. any thoughts anyone?

kbb25sss;501885 said:
iceman 13, loafer...thanks bro. googled mscope and found some good reviews regarding their work. should ask for quotes. are there any more workshops good in this?

if i opt for ZF, will i need to modify/change other parts/settings knowing now that my 'box is GM?

iceman 13...think i'm gonna stick with auto 'box just for now considering traffic jams getting worse and worse in kl. btw, went to my usual workshop this morning and they still insisted that changing atf won't give any effect. they said better for me to buy 325i half cut and change 'box together with the engine as well. emmm...don't think that's a good idea though. any thoughts anyone?

yep for the ZF you need to change the box ECU unit ...and also the socket wiring harness ..all depends on how many pins are there in the ZF ... the wiring harness don't come in easy ...

wow workshop insist to change the ATF .... well i've got no comments on this as it's highly depends on ya side ...
if possible take a 2nd opinion ....

care to share the workshop here .. :)

ICEMAN 13;502196 said:
yep for the ZF you need to change the box ECU unit ...and also the socket wiring harness ..all depends on how many pins are there in the ZF ... the wiring harness don't come in easy ...

wow workshop insist to change the ATF .... well i've got no comments on this as it's highly depends on ya side ...
if possible take a 2nd opinion ....

care to share the workshop here .. :)

sorry bro mencelah sikit..

my car e36 the same problem Gear Box..so i want to change my GB..so i comfuse is want to change GB JACKO 5 speed or ZF 5 speed..pls advise to i choose with want..?:top:

tycoon_M3;505783 said:
sorry bro mencelah sikit..

my car e36 the same problem Gear Box..so i want to change my GB..so i comfuse is want to change GB JACKO 5 speed or ZF 5 speed..pls advise to i choose with want..?:top:

jetco box usually comes in handy and aplenty available in chop shops ...jetco's are also being used in the cefiro's if not mistaken ...and jetco do come by from halfcuts from japan/hongkong ...e36 320i and so ..unlike ZF5 speed they are mainly used in Euro/US nation ...

price wise jetco's are way cheaper as when kaput, there is no repair kit available ...all you do is just change the box which cost somewhere around rm500 ( during the early days ) and now it would fetch somewhere around RM 800 ~ RM 1500 ...

for ZF you can re-built this box if kaput and inorder to get this working you need to get the complete wiring loom and the ecu...therefore when you go out there to search for ZF box , they usually fetch around rm3000~rm4000 ..but you need to ensure that it comes complete with the wiring looms and the ecu ..or else it won't work ...

so in comparision which is most reliable and stays longer ... i would say the ZF's

kbb25sss;501559 said:
hi all, just registered as member today. kinda new to all this actually.

i owe a '96 e36 328i which i bought second hand in late 2002. the mileage is now 315k and the car now having gearbox problem, well...reverse gear problem, second and third also problem. well...it is stranded at home. just wanna get the info whether is it normal for the gearbox to give away within the mileage range?

...and what are other options rather than replacing with 2nd hand gearbox. btw...what's the price range of replacing 2nd hand gear box?

could anyone please advise...

so have you cleared your problem ??

Where would be a decent place to rebuild the GB?? I'm using a ZF 5 speed and i think its gonna kong soon. Maybe its the clutch or something. Anyways, was just wondering so i can prepare myself. Reading thru this thread, i'm getting mixed feedback abt the cost of rebuilding the GB. Can anyone pls help clarify?? Thank you.

Top Bottom