e34 vibrates after putting new 17" rim + new tires

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

fandango

Club Guest
I am experiencing a low frequency vibration (around the knees and below) at 80-90kmh and a higher frequency vibration at 130-140kmh. This happened right after I installed new 17" replicas with metal centre hub rings and new tires.I have done onwheel balancing on the front thrice, with no improvement. I was advised that e34s tend to hv this problem and it is due to the thrust control arm bushes not being able to handle larger than stock rim sizes. Anyone else had this problem before? Any advise on how to solve it?

i also have replica m5 17"s.when first installed,the hubcentric cones they forgot to fit and it shook like hell.once installed...smooth sailing...even now....5 years down the line...with many tyre changes....no vibrations.maybe yr new rim offset differs by too much?shud be 20mm

fandango said:
+20 is stock right? my offset is +15.

It's not the offset - it's the hub centric.
A small round metal/hard plastic that fits into ur rims before installing it to the hubs.

535i said:
It's not the offset - it's the hub centric.
A small round metal/hard plastic that fits into ur rims before installing it to the hubs.

He does have the metal center hub rings installed too....

Fandango...535i is right...my friend had the same problem and now it's fixed.

checked the centre hub rings - no prob, tight fit.

checked the tires - flat spot and wobble. need to take it back to klang to replace. damn, what a hassle. went there last sat at 4pm, the place was crawling with customers...got the "we're too busy, please come back on mon" treatment.

fandango,

Can we know what brand and model of the bloody tires please..??

Hankok?Kanho?

Have you solved your problem now?

Thanks..

tires are goodyear revspec 2 made in japan...year 04...bought at hin leong klang, thot it was a bargain, looks like it may hv been defective...rats. havent got time to go there yet...tied up in the office...

Since these are 04 tyres they may have gone out of round slightly due to storage and stacking. I have had similar experience. After clocking some mileage the tyres are back to normal.

Vincent,

how much mileage is that, roughly? So far I think I've clocked around 200km or so in two weeks.

The more i search the net for "e34 shimmy" the more i think that it could be due to my upper thrust arm bush. the phrase "infamous 55-60mph shimmy" sounds just like my problem...90kmh.

It may be that the shimmy was not noticeable with ori rims, and that the new rims have exaggerated it....aihhhh...

looks like either PU bushes or E32 bushes could be a possible solution as well...

fandango,

It was like about 7,000kms. If the problem only started after you fitted the new tyres then it's quite unlikely due to bad, bushes or thrust arms. Nonetheless it's worth to get a good mechanic to check those items throughly.

I heard PU bushes are rather hard and not so comfortable. Maybe some members who have used PU bushes could shed some opinions.

i m riding on 18"
same problem
wobble at 80-90
could possibly b bcoz i using second hand tyres
yet to solve this headache
will follow this thread

Yesterday I took the car up to speed...basically the car wobbles beginning at 80 peaking at 90 then tapers off at 100 and dissappears at 110. the car is fine up to 180...(ran into traffic after that)...;) However, I also noticed that sometimes, there is no wobble at all at 90...weird.

The same wobble appears again, at a higher frequency, when I accelerate thru sweeping corners around 100-110. If I maintain a constant speed thru the corner (above 90), there is no wobble.

Think I'm gonna get the thrust control arm bush checked this Sat.

Asman, I like your avatar...:D...is that eddie murphy?

Guys & Girls

the problem with e28,e34,e23,e24 & e32's are that the maximum rims size is 16" without having that 'shimmy' cumming on at 80-100km/h..anything bigger will cause it.. tried that, using 17" rims..havoc, change back to 16" is the best.

but if you really need to have that looks, then my suggestion is to renew all the 14 ball joints and links (very expensive affair)..

Fandango, the symptoms you described was exactly what I went through with my e34.

I had 16 inch rims previously and it ran beautifully, until I swapped in a set of 17 inch rims. I put in the hub centric cones, changed the tires and finally the problem was solved when I replaced the upper arm mountings. The vibrations occured at speeds between 80-90 km/hr, sometimes pretty violent as though as the front wheels will drop off at anytime!

Hope this helps!

AL

AL Bundy, did u change to 7 series bushes, or the standard ones? and did the problem return after a while or was permanently solved?

I replaced it with the original Lemforder bushes. Heard the E32 750 bush could be better. Anyway, the problem went off as soon as I replaced it, its been more than a year now. :)

Top Bottom