E34 Install

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
Eric,

Bundy's probably busy taking pics of the boss' daughter since you did not. It's okay la ... let him impress her with stories about his massive 15 inch thingy! We wants more tales and some pics from you, bro!

Cheers,

Originally posted by erica34@Jun 1 2006, 12:07 PM
taukeh, u say want to help me take pictures but never take any... how lah continue setup tales and pictures when i got no more pictures... just tales only people read also feel boring... put la some pictures of your king size 15 inch thing here...
Niah, latest pictures...now please provide the tales!!! :D

22001.jpg

A little prelude before Eric chimes in! I was THERE yesterday to pick up my new toy ..... met up with Bundy and KennyG in the evening. Tumbleweed dropped by as well ... thanks fellas for the company.

And on to the car then ... watch out for this monster. Uncle Siemen will start work on this baby again pretty soon and from what I've seen so far, it's gonna be a heck of a set-up! Briefly, an ol school Naka HU hooked up to an external Alpine processor, 3-way Danish Butter Cookies up front with a bad-assed Yank subbie in the boot. Power is courtesy of 5 .... yeah that's FIVE Genesis Profile series amps sitting in the boot - Gordon Taylor would be proud to have a client like Eric. And .. tonnes of Dynamat all around the car ... YUMMY !!!!

Enough spoilers for now .... let the Master of The Ride tell you more! Coming to a TT near you ...

Cheers,

ok lah... some info to go with the pic taken by Al and also to add on to what Van has mentioned...

The amplifiers on the pics and the respective speakers they're powering are:
Genesis Profile 2 (Dynaudio MD100 tweeter)
Genesis Profile 2 Ultra (Dynaudio MD140 midrange)
Genesis Profile 2 Ultra (Dynaudio MW160 midbass)
Genesis Profile 2 Ultra (CDT Audio HD-52 components)
Genesis Profile Sub - 12" Image Dynamics IDMax

And the wires crawling all over basically consists of:
Audison BT (HU to processor) and Audison FT (all the rest) interconnects
Monster 12awg XLN silver coated speaker cables
Rockford Fosgate 2awg power cables

What I wanted...
Genesis Profile Sub Ultra BUT size does not fit design plan...
Audison 12awg silver coated speaker cables BUT price almost double that of equivalent offering from Monster...
0awg power cables BUT can't fit...

Despite the above, quite pleased with the eventual lot that's going in the car...

More progress pics on the install. Here's a shot of the entire floor lined with a single layer of Dynamat.

CableRun_full.jpg

That probably does it for now in terms of sound dampening. Will not be doing anything for the roof at this point in time as it probably yields the least benefit. Noticed the absence of lose cables and crawling wires around the floor as all have been cleanly routed. No system wires visible as RCA cables and speaker cables have been routed in their respective cable ducts.

Closer picture of the separate cable ducts used for RCA and speaker cables in different coloured tubes.

CableRun_close.jpg

Here's a shot on the routing for the power cable, again sheathed in its own grey tube. It's almost as thick as a bunch of wires.

PowerCable_tubing.jpg

Can't see the wires and power cable now. Not only are the wires routed neatly in cable ducts but they are also concealed.

PowerCable_consealed.jpg

Although none of these will be visible, it's nice and comforting to know the thought and attention to detail that goes into the install even on the non-obvious aspects.

These guys are good. PGA tour... ahkakaka

Hahahahaha ...

Three cheers for Uncle and his boys. Super neat job .... keep us posted, dude. Can't wait to hear your system out when it's finally done.

Cheers,

yoke,

would also like to check out your car one of these days...

install still in progress... all done for personal enjoyment and no intention of competing... just after hifi quality audio when driving, particularly when stuck in traffic or on 3-hour journey to hometown.... if it were a competition install, more likely to see Genesis Series III instead of their Profile range and I would most likely have gone with a different set of speakers, amplifiers and headunit...

doubt the sound quality when done would be anywhere near competition level although I'd say the installation quality is most definitely competition grade.... my guess is first listening impressions of the system would not get anyone too excited... not meant to sound impressive else I would not have gone with dynaudios... chose the speakers because they're not sonically tiring too listen to for long hours and something I can live with long term... the Genesis Profiles mainly for their cosmetic and physical dimension appeal (and from what I've read they don't sound too bad either) and the Nakamichi because it looks stock (and for budget reasons) although it'll most likely be replaced with a better sounding Nakamichi... would be nice to have a CD700II and MF-51 changer...

the quality of the install, that's all Mr Liew and KF... most local enthusiast would already be familiar with their work...

wan520i,

my car has definitely put on weight... besides me trying to lose a few kilos to compensate, have also had some work done in the engine bay to minimise the impact... then again, my E34 was always meant as a comfortable ride instead of a speed machine... doubt any stock E34 520i auto ever impressed with their acceleration... hope fuel pump on my car is one of those that last very very long...

Van,

Likewise...

Originally posted by erica34@Jun 28 2006, 04:37 PM
if it were a competition install, more likely to see Genesis Series III instead of their Profile range and I would most likely have gone with a different set of speakers, amplifiers and headunit...

not meant to sound impressive else I would not have gone with dynaudios... chose the speakers because they're not sonically tiring too listen to for long hours and something I can live with long term... the Genesis Profiles mainly for their cosmetic and physical dimension appeal (and from what I've read they don't sound too bad either)

Eric,

If you'd forgive my ramblings ... I've toyed with Genesis stuff for as long as I can remember and each and every one of their amps are special. From the ol Series I (tie-up with DLS) to their more recent Series II and their current range topper Series III, each version while having evolved over the years remain true to the core of what Genesis have stood for all these years. Needless to say ... after playing with almost everything else that I cud afford, I went ahead and got myself, Elizabeth - my Series III Four Channel. Nothing in the same class, IMHO comes close to matching the understated elegance, effortless power, transparency and neutrality that Gordon Taylor puts into each one of his hand crafted babies. I'm yet to meet a man who is more passionate about his products, of what they are capable of and being totally customer focussed. In an age when more and more ol school brands disappear, sold off or eaten up by fat cash rich corporation who knows nuts about car audio, Genesis has stood independently / proudly by putting their faith, trust and effort into their products and services. Essex would be a much less interesting place to be in if it was not for the boys and gals at Genesis ICE.

The Profile range ... entry level they may be are no less of a Genesis as I can vouch for them. From the basic Profile Two to the newer Profile Four Ultra, they are true works of art and function pretty damn effectively too. Very compact design and footprint, effective chassis and fan assisted cooling, quality components and a stout power supply ( beefed up further with Class G technology in the Ultra range ) make them an obvious choice for cost effective hi-end install. I've heard a few of the Profile/Ultra amps and they are almost as accomplished and fine sounding as their bigger brothers of the Series III range. You've definitely made the rite choice by going with the Profiles, Eric.

The Dyns are probably one of the most neutral comps. out there and handle a wide genre of music exceptionally with the right amount of power. Granted, some people may feel that the MD100 tweets are a touch too mellow for their liking but all in all, the MW/MD series drivers from Dynaudio are as special as anything else. And since you're running each of the 6 drivers fully active, I'm definitely eager to sample the end results. A large number of US ICERs and even the North American distributor for Genesis (The Autophile), I believe also use Dyns extensively with their Series III and Profile amps with very consistent results. In fact, I exchanged some notes with Peter Lufrano of Autophile while helping a friend to decide on Profile Ultra amps to go with his Dyn 240 MKII comps and learnt much more about these under-rated amps. Peter shares the same passion for these products as Gordon does and is totally focussed on customer service and satisfaction. A stand up guy who is the perfect brand ambassador for Genesis in the North American market.

P.S - In the meantime, I'm just gonna go and continue saving up for my Dual Mono Extreme for the subbie .... B)

Cheers,

VaN.

thanks VaN... nice info on genesis and their amps... hardcore man u... looks like i've picked some good stuff for my car (by chance?!)... hope the guys at genesis continue to do well and not go the way/fate of many of my favourite UK hifi manufacturers...

very extensive work there erica.

i like the idea of laying the whole damn body with dynamat. it looks really cool. did you remove all the gunk and stuff below the cloth floor lining?

anyway, how did you buy your Dynamat? what's the rough price indication??

Thanks
Tom

thanks Tom... feel honoured compliment coming from you...

i'm still using the original carpet and everything that came with it... luckily layer below not quite 'gunk' yet although the colour does look shiity, haha... see pic below... and that's despite the car soaking in waist deep flood water for a couple of hours at carpark near old citibank building 5 years ago... bummer...

WIP_IMG_5505.jpg

was going to have carpet cleaned and dyed black during install but changed my mind coz wecolor wanted too much for the job... will just replace the entire carpet... here's a shot of the floor, i'd say pretty good shape for a 92 car...

WIP_FrontLeft.jpg

I used 3 boxes of Dynamat Extreme bulk pack... that's a little more than 100 sq.ft in all... got them from one of the car audio guys... price for first 2 boxes darn good RM550 each but then it went up to RM600 per box... price excludes installation... but still good value compared to what these used to go for... going to try RAAMmat BXT in next install... got a roll of that then changed my mind... check out this link... good comparo on sound dampening materials...

http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/

Originally posted by erica34@Jun 29 2006, 06:47 PM
thanks VaN... nice info on genesis and their amps... hardcore man u... looks like i've picked some good stuff for my car (by chance?!)... hope the guys at genesis continue to do well and not go the way/fate of many of my favourite UK hifi manufacturers...

Softcore already la, bro. Anyway ... practicality above all else, rite ? Yeah, Genesis has been doing pretty fine especially these recent years. Gordon runs the show personally with his wife Sue and they've kept the company the way it should be thru all these years. As an eye candy just before the release of the much anticipated Series IV amplifiers - they've decided to tempt the Devil in us with the highly acclaimed Limited Edition (250 units only) Dual Mono Class A .... a true Class A amplifier (with intelligent switching feature to Class G) backed up with the tried and tested dual power supply + dual mono architecture .... :nyehehe:

Genesis Dual Mono Class A

Yeah, hoping that they won't go down the path that most of the ol US and even some UK brands have gone too. The most recent one that bit the dust was Phoenix Gold! Damn man !!!

Tom ... there's someone who's selling RAAMmat BXT on ZTH if I recall correctly. Have heard some pretty good stuff about the BXT from current users ... with cost being the other factor.

Cheers.

hi erica

thanks for the details.
so you're going all out icing the E34? I'm sure the car is a good platform for where you're heading to.

for me, i'm going back to E34s for daily driving. Bringing the car back to shape and will be putting in some regular ICE and stuff.

anyone got any regular front and rear components for sale?

Thanks
Tom

oh yea, vanquish, thanks for the lead!

Will check them out.

Thanks
Tom

No worries, Tom. Going with an E34, eh ? Nice choice, dude! Let us know your budget for the speakers when it's time .... I'm sure a few of us here can help find some you good bargains.

Cheers,

cool thanks

you know, i'm not going to spend much on ice for now.
just wanna put in my JVC kameleon and powered subwoofer to work

i haven't decided on the components yet.

say if i'm going for a regular setup. should i go for components in the rear or 6X9s?? i may not put in amps. i'm definately putting components in front.

anyone's got any cheap stuff for sale?

Tom

The E34 does appear to be quite a good platform for car stereo at least in terms of not having to cut holes on the steel piece below the rear deck... only the rear parcel shelf will need to be cut so no worries that car chassis will be affected... there are ready holes on the metal piece below the rear deck to allow low notes from the sub into the cabin... see pic below...

WIP_Reardeckvents.jpg

no idea why the vents are there but what a relief that... really need to do something about that ugly 3rd brake light...

Here's another addition to the install... got one of those car audio battery... not as popular as the sexy Optima but cheaper and comes with local warranty... also SVR lists some credible competitors and manufacturer show cars/trucks references on its website...

Battery_SVR.jpg

absolutely no idea on the rationale and theory behind these batteries in the context of car audio performance but no harm trying even if it doesn't do any more than a regular battery... Didn't particularly set out to get one but since existing battery seemed defective and needed to be replaced, I figured what the heck...

Tom, I think regular 6x9 coax more than suffices for rear speakers... most folks actually recommend doing away with them but personally, I'd prefer having rear-fill speakers than none... they can be driven by power from HU... I have CDT HD comps at the back simply bcos I already have them... and also just in case I decide to experiment with 5.1 setup in the future... won't need to fuss with installing a decent set of rear speakers...

haven't had time to update on progress of install coz swamped with work since return... a foretaste of the end result... clean design and no fancy neon coloured lights... notice the design of the plexi covers reflects the respective pieces of equipment underneath...

WIP_IMG_5696.jpg

more pics and tales to follow...

Hey there Eric,

One word for now, man ..... YUMMY !!! More pics and a final evaluation please.

Cheers,

system is done and very pleased with the results... work is neat and I got the sound stage I'm after... nice height and width and can't localise speakers from the driver's seat... initial impression on sound quality, strong and punchy midbass with good bass definition, higher up definitely room for improvement with further tuning... meanwhile here's a pix of the completed boot...

CPL_IMG_boot.jpg

Top Bottom