E34 Engine Oil - Older models

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

ehoe

Club Guest
Anyone out there with an old E34 still using fully synthetic oil. Any problem with oil consumption with the thinner fully syn oil?. My 90 E34 on fully syn oil consumes approximately 2L of oil in between every 10K service. So I am assuming perhaps the oil seals aren't so good anymore so perhaps using a thicker oil (semi syn) would be better. Also with the thinner oil the tappets are noisier too. With semi syn, what would be the ideal service internal? Can the semi syn go at least 8k km? Any comments or feedback appreciated ya.

So far my SLOTH has no problems using fully synthetic oil. Need not top up between service.

But then, might be changing to semi-synth for future oil changes in view of impending oil price increase. My mech already warned me.... :(

Originally posted by ehoe@Mar 19 2006, 09:44 PM
Anyone out there with an old E34 still using fully synthetic oil. Any problem with oil consumption with the thinner fully syn oil?.

My 90 E34 on fully syn oil consumes approximately 2L of oil in between every 10K service. So I am assuming perhaps the oil seals aren't so good anymore so perhaps using a thicker oil (semi syn) would be better.

Also with the thinner oil the tappets are noisier too. With semi syn, what would be the ideal service internal? Can the semi syn go at least 8k km? Any comments or feedback appreciated ya.
How long any kind of oil be it dino oil or semi synth or fully synth, depends on how you drive the engine and the surrounding environment factors.

A rule of thumb, sem-synth probably about 7000-10,000. Fully synth 7,000 and beyond.

Also how long the oil will last also depends on the TBN level of the oil to begin with and how long it can neutralize the acids before the TAN get higher which deems the oil as unusable any longer.

Some fully synth engine oils will burn off and some don't. Why? The oil doens't burn off, its the VII that burns off. Some oils are resistant to this as they contain some secret additives that stops it from burning off or possesses a high film strength. The issue of consuming engine oil boils down the additives in the oil package and mostly its coz of the viscosity index improvers. Example..same brand XYZ...a SAE 5W/20 will burn off less than a SAE 5W/30..why? coz to convert the 5 centistoke oil to a 20centistoke oil from cold temperature to 100 degrees centigrade(kinematic viscosity) requires less VII hence it will burn off less. An oil that posseses less VII will be much more stable hence the most stable are straight grade oils like SAE30, SAE40,etc. Multigrade oils offer protection at startup and at running temperature. A multigrade oil such as a 5W/30 meaning at cold startup, it is 5 centistoke hence its light enough to circulate around the engine FAST hence offereing good startup protection which is where the most wear and tear occurs. and once at the operating temperature, it is a 30 centistoke KV oil weight. An SAE 0W/40 will offer extremely good protection at startup but contains a lot of VII and the tendency to burn off the 'oil' is high unless that oil has got some sort of secret additive that prevent the phenomena to occur lesser. In your case, using a thicker oil is just to cover up the problem of consuming oil. The oil dictates the majority performance of the engine and why do you want to cover up the problem by using a thicker oil that effects the performance? find and fix the problem, don't cover it up.

I have never had any experience by using thinner oil that will render the hydraulic tappet to go noisy, it's not the kind of oil that give the protection, its OIL PRESSURE, make sure you have enough oil in the crankcase, protection is never about the type of oil, it's about PRESSURE as our lubrication system is forced fed.

Also semi-synth oil contains no more than 30% of synth compounds, you are lucky if you can find a semi-synth oil that can even have 20% synth compounds. One can claim this particular semi-synth can contain 30% synth compound but how you know? send to lab test for verification?? Synth compound oil give better protection in terms of ADDITIVES in the oil that is added in, you can never have a 100% synth oil as additives needs group III oils to mix. Advantage of using synth oil is longer drain interval due to higher TBN and some additives that will give the engine better protection.

I run my 1990 525i m20 b25 engine with about 50K Kms on it on semi-syn, 10-40 castrol. My oil consumption between 10 K changes is zero or about 1/10 litre. Drive is 75% town/25% highway.

semi should be good for 10K. fully about 15-18K, mineral 6-8K. My friend in lubrications business who supplies castrol tested mineral on using Castrols laboratories at 12K Km in his 1.6 proton and it was still WELL within specs!!. at 14K it was on the edge of specs (but still usable!!) he does mostly city driving which is EXTRA hard on oils. Therefore recc oil change intervals above have a 50-100% safety margin built in!!

don't fret too much about engine oil!! change yours at above rec intervals and use good branded oil and you BMW should run well for a long time!! (eg I ran my VW GOLF for 250K using mineral oil with oil changes at 8500kms and my MR2 for 350K kms using mineral at changed at also 8000kms). Both cars still had good compression and almost zero oil burning between changes!!. lately my GFriend has driven her volvo for 280,000 miles(440,000Kms!!) on original engine with mineral also changed at 8000kms!!

Just send my car to do oil service so ask the mechanic to check for oil leaks. Found a minor leak at one of the oil seals so have found the cause of my high oil consumption. So just replace the oil seal and its back to using fully syn oil. :D

Thanks to all for their inputs.....

Originally posted by ehoe@Mar 22 2006, 12:07 PM
Just send my car to do oil service so ask the mechanic to check for oil leaks. Found a minor leak at one of the oil seals so have found the cause of my high oil consumption. So just replace the oil seal and its back to using fully syn oil. :D

Thanks to all for their inputs.....
Alamak! No wonder 2 litre gone. Lucky got rectify the prob. :rolleyes:

Oil seals are always the main culprits especially at the crankcase on older engines. Mine also previously using mineral oil also the oil level drops to 3/4 level when reaching 8000km of driving. After replacing oil seal, now using shell helix plus(semi-synth) drops a bit upon reaching 10000km :eek:k: Check on the oil seals, valve cover gaskets etc for leakage before using semi synth or fully synthetic.

Top Bottom