E12

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
Erh, what's the chassis number for?

Btw, are you actually looking for one to buy or do you own one?

If you write to Mobile Tradition with the chassis number, you should be able to find out what the original delivery specification of the car is, for e.g. date of manufacture, colour, destination market, etc. Not sure if they now charge a fee for it though.

I think Tor owns a post-facelift E12 525i. Could be wrong...

mikeklh;734539 said:
If you write to Mobile Tradition with the chassis number, you should be able to find out what the original delivery specification of the car is, for e.g. date of manufacture, colour, destination market, etc. Not sure if they now charge a fee for it though.

I think Tor owns a post-facelift E12 525i. Could be wrong...

If you go to http://www.realoem.com and type in the last 7 digits of your chassis number, you will get info about your particular car. I can help if you want me to. E-mailing to Mobile Tradition is free. They are nice to deal with and very quick response.

Mikeklh:
Almost right. I have the big brother of the e-12. A 1985 E-24 635CSi. Engines are as you know M30 for both. :)

The last 7 digits are 4506892. Hmmm, what's the email? Do I provide the whole thing?

Nice car, I have not seen that at all. Btw, just curious on why youve started this thread heh.

Here is your car http://www.realoem.com/bmw/select.do?vin=4506892 delivered in may 1981. If you press "browse parts" and you can find all the parts for your particular car.

I have 3 classic BMW (Neue Klasse, E-21 and E-24), but none of them here in Malaysia. I miss having a garage to go, to an tinker with a classic. That´s why I´m thinking of getting one. I have not found one yet that i "must" have. I just don´t want to have a car that is common, I want something that you seldom see. Nothing fancy just a classic. E-3 and E-9 would be good candidates, but the E-9 is very expensive and the E-3 is hard to find. A -02 could also do. Then of course there is the E-12 which i think is a good looking car. I am not in a hurry, just lurking to find the right project. :)

Wow, I've been going to BMW-classic.com to look at parts. Now there is another place I can refer to.
Have you ordered anything or had any experience from them?

Anyway, those are nice cars you have. Not to sound biased, but I find the E12 the best looking of the lot.
Hope you'll find one soon, so we could share our experiences.

BMWclassic.com is a subsidiary of BMW. Serious enough, but think they can be slightly expensive to send to Malaysia.

As previously mentioned i am privileged to be traveling a lot to Germany so i buy most of my stuff there. When i had my E-32 here in Malaysia, I used Stuttgart for support. They had a good knowledge of tracking down new and used parts. I have also a neighbor that is happy with Auto Bavaria in Glenmarie, but i have never used them.

Yes E-12 is a beautiful car. Enjoy it.

Thanks man.

Btw, from your experience, have you had any gauges failing on you? Like the fuel gauge showing full when the fuel tank is empty. Or more importantly, the temperature gauge. If so, what should I do?

Hi wjie20...my firend also in a process to bring back the E12 from the dead...and he got a donor car for replacement part,I'll let him know about this thread...maybe you both can share something or two about the E12..

anakin;735184 said:
Hi wjie20...my firend also in a process to bring back the E12 from the dead...and he got a donor car for replacement part,I'll let him know about this thread...maybe you both can share something or two about the E12..

Hey anakin. I would really appreciate that, thanks :D

wjie20;735179 said:
Thanks man.

Btw, from your experience, have you had any gauges failing on you? Like the fuel gauge showing full when the fuel tank is empty. Or more importantly, the temperature gauge. If so, what should I do?

Funny you ask, I have just developed that problem on my E-24. The fuel quantity transmitter on the E-24 is the same as the E-12 528i (and almost same as 525) I have not had time to tinker with it yes, i have just filled up the tank and i run it for a few days before filling up again. I will let you know what i find when i start tinkering with it.

With the temperature gauge, check that there is good contact from wire to sensor. Sensor is to be found on engine block, if broke easy and inexpensive to change

Good thing that there is a fellow E-12 guy out there. Always good to have someone with the same car, to ask for advice. At once i have traced down a classic for myself i´ll come and join in. :)

Tor;735561 said:
Funny you ask, I have just developed that problem on my E-24. The fuel quantity transmitter on the E-24 is the same as the E-12 528i (and almost same as 525) I have not had time to tinker with it yes, i have just filled up the tank and i run it for a few days before filling up again. I will let you know what i find when i start tinkering with it.

With the temperature gauge, check that there is good contact from wire to sensor. Sensor is to be found on engine block, if broke easy and inexpensive to change

Good thing that there is a fellow E-12 guy out there. Always good to have someone with the same car, to ask for advice. At once i have traced down a classic for myself i´ll come and join in. :)

Ah, ok...Good luck with that. Haha, I shall check on the contact from wire to sensor of the temperature gauge.
I hope that you find a good one soon!

Btw, are you local?

wjie20;735855 said:
Btw, are you local?

No Lah, I´m a europeean, but has been living in KL since 2004. Was working in KL, but now working abroad and commuting home. Just now I have a stable enough life in KL to start loking for a classic. :)

The part you need is (part number) 62110788115 for you temperature gauge. See if you can borrow one for troubbleshooting from another car. It is the same sensor on E12, E21, E28 and E30. Borrow one, and install it. If it works now, it is the old sensor being broke. (those break every so often)

Ah, I see. Thanks for the part number.
Will one day do that. I only fear that it is inaccurate.

Saw a really rotten E9 the other day. Single digit registration number car but man, was it bad. Made the one in Kampung Kayu Ara look like a concours queen by comparison!

mikeklh;738345 said:
Saw a really rotten E9 the other day. Single digit registration number car but man, was it bad. Made the one in Kampung Kayu Ara look like a concours queen by comparison!

Haven't actually seen the one in Kampung Kayu Ara, but the way you describe it, poor E9. Have never actually seen one on the road.

Which brings me to asking this, since it is an E12 thread.
Are there no one else that owns an E12 here?

mikeklh;738345 said:

Sorry for being off topic, but where did you see this E9? The one in Kampung Kayu Ara is mix mash of a car. A 3.0CS with a 2,8 liter newer engine..

The E9 was in a mate's shop in USJ. As it was on a hoist, I managed to get a really good look underneath. It was a silver, Perak-registered car.

Didn't know the red E9 in Kampung Kayu Ara had a non-original engine. A shame...I wonder who did the transplant as I noted it has a windscreen sticker from Munich Legends in the UK.

wjie20, sorry dude. Not many E12s around, I guess. I do know of a couple running around in Kota Kinabalu. One of it's a 528i and the other's debadged. The owner of the 528i has a Volvo 262C too!

Milkeklh, I see. Wow, Volvos back then were the style. Nice find on the e12 for sale, but no pictures.

To tor, your potential E12?

Top Bottom