E-39 Absorber

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

zank

Club Guest
Hi there, My front absorbers probably time to replace as it is leaking, as my is 528 M-Sport so it must be with sport/shorter spring, what is your advise of the absorber? - Which brand should I go?- If I change the absorber, what other parts i need to change as well? Mouting?- Where is the best shop to get this? - I heard some peple try to fix it, maybe you can share your experience as well.. ?- I know you guy have lot of experince in this, please speak out.. .heheh.. Rgds, Zank

zank;269526 said:
Yes, I am .. any suggestion?

What brand are you using now ?

I just bought a set of Bilstein B6 from Singapore and the prices are as follows:

Front : SGD500 per set and according to the guy there B8 is the same price; and
Back : SGD300 per set.

Please note that you need to buy the plate for the front if you are not already using B6. I was caught as I am currently using normal Bilstien (black) and the guy who sold me the B6 told me that I could use the original plate and it turn out negative; now, I got to get the plate from Singapore to install the B6.

Cheers.

sinocom, any suggestion for our suspension?? Juz write up here lar, i want to know too..

bmw7833;269548 said:
Then why dont u choose the B8??

The front is the same price but the rear is at different price as I dunt want to spend too much to get B8 for the rear, my mechanic advised me to use B6 all round. B8 is ticker ans harder.

wc9922;269559 said:
What's the 'plate' you are talking about?

the 'plate' is the metal plate between the shock absorber and the spring. it only cost sgd25 per piece.

zank, jes get yrslf either the bilstein & eibach combi or like me using sachs performance kits sporty yet comfy dude cheers

yep, actually I have checked with Singapore Eng Soon also, but found that the price is not much different from KL, as I still need to get the mechanic to install it, and beside I also need to buy the mounting, Damper, Spounge. I decided for B8 as mine is M-Sport with shorter spring and B6 is for normal spring (learned a lot from Yazid, heheh). The total is RM3000 inclusive installation and other parts that need to change. By the way you can get the B8 set for RM2600 here (4x).

I also read somewhere you could actually use back your old plate, it need some knocking to remove the old plates out from your current absorber, yes, it can be done, you do not need to buy a new one. .Just knock it harder it will come out. Check out this Forum, it is here somewhere, use the search.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=202

If anyone wants a B6, Optimum PJ have a set for sell Rm2300 include installation (I think). Jason, if you need the contact, pls pm me. Hope this help..

Rgds, zank

I have a silly question here..Does the suspension use on 528i same with the suspension use on 523i??

latest information, if anyone looking for Bilstein absorber, there is a local agent in Damansara Utama, they offer B8 at RM2400 only, RM200 installation. that is probably the best you can get in KL, wish I know them earlier (shit.. I paid much more than this... ) They are the authorised Bilstein Agent in KL. The B8 come with the plate, so there is no need to buy the plate, some call it mounting, anyone need the contact pls PM me. Hope this help. B6 will be slightly cheaper. No need to go to Singapore, Singapore is only Rm50 cheaper, not worth it. ...

Bailey:

Is the sachs performance damper made from Aluminium body and silver in color? I think the springs that come with it are H&R' made. Or is the shockers red in color with red springs? I can't recall.

hamilton;269584 said:
The front is the same price but the rear is at different price as I dunt want to spend too much to get B8 for the rear, my mechanic advised me to use B6 all round. B8 is ticker ans harder.

Hi, I think I was wrong about the B6 and B8 thing. I later found out that the Yellow B6 has got a sport version, called B6 Sport. So, when the fellow in Singapore show the bigger B6 to me, I think it should be the B6 Sport, not B8. My apologise.

Cheers.

wc9922;269971 said:
Bailey:

Is the sachs performance damper made from Aluminium body and silver in color? I think the springs that come with it are H&R' made. Or is the shockers red in color with red springs? I can't recall.

yep the damper is silver in color but i cant recall the springs lah dude but the result damn chun

zank;269904 said:
latest information, if anyone looking for Bilstein absorber, there is a local agent in Damansara Utama, they offer B8 at RM2400 only, RM200 installation. that is probably the best you can get in KL, wish I know them earlier (shit.. I paid much more than this... ) They are the authorised Bilstein Agent in KL. The B8 come with the plate, so there is no need to buy the plate, some call it mounting, anyone need the contact pls PM me. Hope this help. B6 will be slightly cheaper. No need to go to Singapore, Singapore is only Rm50 cheaper, not worth it. ...

Hi Zank, can u advise the name of the shop and some directions?
Thanks

Just changed mine yesterday B8, as I mentioned, you can get Bilstein at very good price now with the local agent in Damansara Utama, if you need the contact please PM me. Though I have paid slightly more with other shop.

You should only consider B8 if you have have shorted spring/Sport spring, or else you should use B6, yes B6 is called B6 Sport though it is meant for the standard spring, while B8 is shorted (1") and bigger stroker rod, and for sport/shorter spring. Both are yellow color. B8 will really lower your car by at least 1", you might think 1" is nothing, but that will make a big different to the car when istalled.

When you buy the B6, it doesn't come with Plate (some call mouting, but is is confusing as there are other part which is called mounting, read on) which hold the spring on the absorber, B8 comes with the plate, not B6, so you need to buy a new plate or knock harder to your old absorber the plate will come out. But beside the absorber you might want to replace the Mouting (this is the plate that hold the absorver to the car chasis, with three screws onto the car, if you open the car front engine bonnet you will see both side have a hole that tighten by the screw that hold your absorber), this plate is arond RM90 each, so if you will replace the RM2400 absorver, you might as well change this mouting, which sold separately from absorber, it does not need to be bilstein. If you don't order it, and let's said when you replacing the absorber time, they found the mounting is worn, then you have to go and get it somewhere which will take more time and could keep your car there for another few days, unless you want to keep the old one, (hopefully it is still in good condition).

For the rear absorber replacement is a bit tricky, as they need to open the rear seat and speakers area in order to access the screw that hold the absorber, it takes quite some time to change the rear one. For the real absober, you need to buy the two additional items: mouting and spounge (it is a light brown rubber).

Of course you can save another Rm300 if you just keep the old mounting and spounge, which is ok if you don't mind. I find B8 is ok though most said it is stiff and harder, maybe I have a hard ass... after too long on Harley. hehehe.

Correction: you can also consider B8 even you don't have sport/shorter spring, as there is nothing to stop you from using the B8, especially if you want to lower your car, but if you really want a lower sporting profile car, then you should change the spring to short and use B8, or else stay with standard or B6.

By the way, B8 comes with Sport spring is RM3400, you can get it from the same shop. B6 and B8 is almost same price.

Hope my experience is helping those search to replace the absorber.

Rgds, Zank

good info thou zank especially abt the local agent at DU selling at RM2400 only cheers

Top Bottom