Defect or Normal condition of exhaust muffler for 328i, 2012?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

zubaidah2007

Hi all, I am new member in this forum.

Recently just bought 328i, luxury 2012 that still under warranty by Wheelcorp Premium Setia Alam. I am second owner where the mileage is about 32k. But I just noticed that the exhaust muffler is a brownish at one spot.

Is it normal for a 32000km car.? Or any defect of the exhaust muffler? Hope to get feedback from all members here...

Thanks' in advance....

Bro which part are you referring to? brownish? Do you mean rust mark? Maybe you should post a photo so that we know what you meant.

Yeah bro pls attach a pic. A F10 owner had a dark greenish muffler and last I heard it was being investigated. My own muffler is turning black at the tip due to normal wear and tear and I took the liberty to give it a shine once in every few months to stop the build up.

Hi splee and seancorr, thx fr yr respond.. I have tried to attached the photo, but the attach button is not active.. Sorry, I a bit out of date.. Will try to upload the photo again..

I am referring at the muffler..Yes ..like rusty stain...

At the tip, yes.. A bit.. But not really my concern, but the muffler, is a bit obvious....

I have referred this problem to wheelcorp, the technician said its normal..even the 10000 mileage car also the same condition...just wonder whether ist technical defect... Coz I believe that bownish/rusty portion will get thinner and thinner. &matter of time will leak/damage..

If I am thinking the same thing as you, I have the same problem and my mileage is less than 3k!

Mine looks like the chrome part chipped off though.

Hi Zubaidah. Sorry I thought you were a guy. Welcome to the club. Do introduce yourself at the newbie section. As you are new, you are unable to post photo. I think once you are verified you will be able to post photos.

It's ok splee...no problem..
Thx for the advice...I will register in the newbie section later...and hope to post the photo soon...

Try signing up to photo bucket. upload the picture there and link it back here.

Hi zubaidah sorry also tot ur a lad!

Anyhow you can direct upload here provided the pic is a small size pic.

As for your issue you can try to go to another dealer for a second opinion. I've seen a lot of other F30 mufflers which are still in good condition.

At last, i managed to attach the photo here...he he he

Yes...it's true seancorr. We must get second opinion. I have called Wearness Autohaus. The Technian asked me to come this weekend. I hope he can verify and provide good advice later.i will update on the outcome of the visit later.

Btw, thx a lot guys, for yr advice and feedback....20140624_084438-1.jpg20140624_084438-1.jpg20140624_084438-1.jpg

Do update us on the outcome of your visit to the other dealer. I usually see this kind of condition on much older cars but not on a 2012 car.

It does appear either material defect or the there is high temperature effect on the muffler thus rendering it quick to rust. Muffler around series of chambers to dampen noise from engine exhaust.
Might worth checking rest of the exhaust piping. Wonder is excessive temperature from engine or simply car had been drinking en hard.
Anyway will be interested what the mechanic diagnosed.

I have the same browning at the same spot of my exhaust muffler albeit it's not as bad as yours. I don't think this is rust. It's just the normal browning of the exhaust part due to heat.
juzureze.jpg

Hi splee..yes...yours, not as bad as mine..it's almost normal.but mine, is very bad.
need to reschedule my inspection at Wearness due to emergency matter to settle. will go there on next Monday.

Hi kengkok...that's what worrying me...if the condition is like splee above, i don't mind. But if something wrong with the exhaust system etc, then how??? But, whatever it is...let see what the experience Technian from Wearness will say later...

Hi Guys..went to Wearness on last Monday..The technician inspected the mufflers and took some photos. He said for 30km milieage, its quite surprise to see the muffler in that such condition. its not normal. He will mail the photos to BMW malaysia and will update me for any reply later.

I am not sure whether that is the best thing to do. I am afraid that BMW Malaysia will take their own sweet time, responding to this issue. I believe this is factory/manufacturer defect. BMW suppose to design the exhaust system including the muffler/material to resist and robust to any heat/combustion of high temperaturer etc, Mild brownish color is like Splee above is acceptable.

What do you thick guys? Thank you.

zubaidah2007 said:
Hi Guys..went to Wearness on last Monday..The technician inspected the mufflers and took some photos. He said for 30km milieage, its quite surprise to see the muffler in that such condition. its not normal. He will mail the photos to BMW malaysia and will update me for any reply later.

I am not sure whether that is the best thing to do. I am afraid that BMW Malaysia will take their own sweet time, responding to this issue. I believe this is factory/manufacturer defect. BMW suppose to design the exhaust system including the muffler/material to resist and robust to any heat/combustion of high temperaturer etc, Mild brownish color is like Splee above is acceptable.

What do you thick guys? Thank you.
Since you are claiming this under warranty, you don't have much choice here but to wait for the reply from BMW Malaysia. That's the SOP. Anyway, your problem is not something that would endanger life, so you could wait no harm. Wish you solve the problem soon.

Hi guys...

I have good news to share with all of you... :smile:

BMW Malaysia will replace the exhaust for me, after getting approval from BMW German. I am so happy! :)

Currently, waiting the spare part coming from Germany ..within next two weeks. Once arrived, they will call me for replacement.

I would like to thanks' to all the forumers here for all your feedback and input. :shakehands: ...At least, I managed to convince them on the manufacture defect..will all your technical input and advise given...

Thx again!I will update the latest photos, once it been replaced.

Top Bottom