Castrol TWS vs Castrol RS

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Calvin Tan

Just got the confirmation from the Castrol Malaysia that the Castrol TWS and Castrol RS is the different type of engine oil. The one BMW reconmanded is Castrol TWS. You will find some label on an air box located in the M engine bay stated Castrol TWS or Castrol RS to be use. It is because the Castrol TWS is only for selected market only (eg. USA, Europe, etc..) So no choice, the Castrol is an alternative.And most importantly Castrol RS is locally made and it is much cheaper.I believe Necessary have been tried to prove his point, and now he is right.

Originally posted by tongsatriani@Feb 14 2006, 04:53 PM
Well, the specs the same as RS...10w-60...
Well go ahead and use it. No body cares, it is your car anyway... I mean if you have M engine of course.. :D

Hahaha.

Thanks for the acknowledgement, Calvin!

True, specs are the same, but if that's the case, why don't you go use a Petronas oil that has the same spec?

If you do have a S54 engined vehicle, you want to protect it as much as you can, it does rev to 8000rpm, you know. For non M engines, it will be a waste of money.

Okie, okie...TWS is not available here. The closest would be RS.

Dun worry ler...same brand, diff name & manufacturing place only.

Btw, 10w-60 on RS is the highest you can get in this typical country.

Just share share la...where can fight u M guys... :p

Originally posted by The Necessary@Feb 14 2006, 05:07 PM
True, specs are the same, but if that's the case, why don't you go use a Petronas oil that has the same spec?

Woohh..woohh...lets not heated up la...

Me sharing only..engine oil usage is always individual preferences.

Eh! I'd never come across same brand, diff name with same specs.

Petronas dun have it. Mind sharing which brand was it? :unsure:

Don't get offended! I was just trying to make the point that the specs don't tell the full story! Else we'd all be using Petronas, right? I mean, I think it's cheaper than Castrol?

Originally posted by fabianyee@Feb 14 2006, 08:01 PM
Same viscocity doesn't mean it'll be as good.
Totally agree with fabian... just compare CKD and CBU you will know what I mean...

i got total on my car.. gud oso.. :D i wanna try the tws next time.. reserve me some key? (after i pay ur outstanding hutang.. ;) )

Originally posted by adliz@Feb 14 2006, 08:33 PM
i got total on my car.. gud oso.. :D i wanna try the tws next time.. reserve me some key? (after i pay ur outstanding hutang.. ;) )
left one set enough for one car oni... you want I keep lo..
The Bilstein PSS9 special tools I pass to you this Friday night okee?

i will go for personal test than Castrol claim.

I dont own a M nor used one before.

something more scientific than oil co claim.

oil temperature for 2 types of oil?

BP, Shell, Esso can say they can get Petrol from Competitor Distribution centre. But they market it Shell Better Mileage? BP ***, Esso ***. Do you ever see a mixing system in the Petrol Truck?

Originally posted by ace99@Feb 14 2006, 09:21 PM
i will go for personal test than Castrol claim.

I dont own a M nor used one before.

something more scientific than oil co claim.

oil temperature for 2 types of oil?

BP, Shell, Esso can say they can get Petrol from Competitor Distribution centre. But they market it Shell Better Mileage? BP ***, Esso ***. Do you ever see a mixing system in the Petrol Truck?
For sure I will not use M engine to try an error for choice of oil... I rather use what is told in the book.

Beside this, I have tried Castrol, Shell, Caltex, Total, Redline and Mobil on my :p high performance M20 B30 :D :D . I found that the best oil is Redline and Mobil. How? Cause I have VDO oil temp. and VDO oil press. gauge to monitor :D

good day guys.
somewhere along the line i got lost reading this thread.
pls enlighten me again. tks.

1. which of the 2 castrol models are available locally and which is to be used for an m3 engine?

2. i read in a mag about the e36 m3 and they recommended 10W 30...if i'm not mistaken mobil 1 has this viscosity. now what would the effects be like if i go with mobil 1?

cheers!

Originally posted by hitman@Feb 14 2006, 10:24 PM
good day guys.
somewhere along the line i got lost reading this thread.
pls enlighten me again. tks.

1. which of the 2 castrol models are available locally and which is to be used for an m3 engine?

2. i read in a mag about the e36 m3 and they recommended 10W 30...if i'm not mistaken mobil 1 has this viscosity. now what would the effects be like if i go with mobil 1?

cheers!
Hi Hitman, welcome to the thread! The engine oil above is for E46 M3, E39 M5, E60 M5 and Z8.
For your E36 M3, the best way to find out is check your owner's manual.

OK... here goes...

used to use Castrol RS before I sent my car for inspection 1... i realised the oild temp reading in my console shows a value approximately 90+ degrees ... just got the car back from AB glenmarie on wednesday and they used TWS... significantly the oil temp level hovers on the 100 mark... is this a characteristic of the TWS oil?
hmmmm?

azzy,

i have the same scenario like you most of the time..oil temp is always near 100 mark no metter what time in a day i drive it around....
thought it would be the oil level shortage but checked ok.. tht's why i thought of installing an oil cooler like those they do for supercharged'...

calvin,
you know where to get the cooler?:)

i think 100 degrees C is the designed operating temperature. notice that the oil temp gauge is gradated such that 100 is smack at the middle with the needle at 12 o'clock. also the numerals 100 is displayed whereas 90 and 110 isn't if i recall correctly.

so i think for TWS's viscosity (10W-60?) i think BMW intended it to run at 100 degrees. there is an optimum temperature for oil and lower is not alwas better though for sure too high is bad.

if you look at race cars they always rotate their meters such that the optimum operating point always makes the needle show 12 o'clock. notice how the rev counters for some old rally cars are rotated just to do this because when you're in the thick of action and you can only catch a glimpse of the needle and not the number it is pointing to, all you care is t he needle is roughly 12 o'clock.

this to me is one of the biggest advantage of analogue dials compared to digital readouts. in addition to being able to see the rate at which it is rising to indicate trend.

Top Bottom