Can E46 Steering Rack be overhauled?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

bm8118

Club Guest
If i'm not mistaken e36 steering rack can be overhauled. and the kit cost about RM 180. How about e46? Do we have the kit here in malaysia? How much will it cost? Any ideas that can bring some light into me? Thanks in advance bros......... :)

this topic is almost a year and left unanswer? i also need to know, anyone have the answer or did the overall kind enough to share?

me too, looking for some answers, there's some knocking noise whenever going over rough roads or sharp bumps... :(

Wat are the symptom? else than knocking sound.....how does your handling fare on trunk road...does the wheel control the steer....does the car feel the drag to left and right where else the steering on firm straight hold. How does cornering at different speed through left and right...letz start a list of possible symptom of steering rack fault. Genuine feed back from those who have changed the steeering rack....pull down your experience here.

Originally posted by ylkhor@Jul 4 2006, 01:32 AM
me too, looking for some answers, there's some knocking noise whenever going over rough roads or sharp bumps... :(
my steering vibrate when going through uneven road and u can hear the sound of the steering "klok klok klok......." check the tie rod joint is OK and no leaking

bro ylkhor your case of sound n on uneven road may due to the front under arm, get it chk first, steering rack cont be that fragile & the arm is the common problem for e46 so get it chk first...

Done my alignment, replaced shock mounts, replaced bushes to PU, new lower arm, new tie rods, tightened steering coupling. And my cock steering is still klok-klok-ing. So next step is steering repair kit. For E46-ers, we're looking at about RM500-800 range.

Symptoms: klok-klok sound over uneven roads (low potholed-KL-city speeds), road speed humps, more pronounced tramlining over uneven roads (highway speeds). Always a handful to maintain a proper line on the street. Almost makes me look like a drunk at noon.

Originally posted by 3er@Jul 4 2006, 10:33 AM
And my cock steering is still klok-klok-ing.
:lol: :lol: my cock same sound la...

anyways, except changing the tie rods, done what 3er has done,
still the sound & free play is there...

ah meng mspeed adjusted it once for me, little bit better but still it's just ain't that fun to drive...

so, 3er, tell us more about the steering repair kit...

buy from where oh?

Originally posted by bmchai@Jul 4 2006, 02:11 PM
so, 3er, tell us more about the steering repair kit...

buy from where oh?
Heritage has it but they dont claim that it will solve the problem so thats why i left it to the last resort, which in my case, might seem the only choice if i want to get it sorted out. I cant remember the exact price so i just gave a general indication only - i.e. expensive! for seemingly something which should not happen to a low-mileage 4-year-old car. (Wanna talk about disgruntled E46 ownership experience? Here's one example! Grr!)

I don't think the repair kit will get rid of the klok klok klok sound. The other possibility is the internal gears of the rack has worn out, so there is free play. And when the road surface is uneven, the free play will cause the klok klok klok sound. Just a possibility...

tkew, lower arm changed liao but knocking noise still there. Same symptom like Mousy and KennyG bros, noise is in the cabin.

No issues with steering left or right...

Ah meng usj checked and said can fix by changing the steering rack i think that cost appx 800

just wanna get rid of the noise ...sigh

Originally posted by ylkhor@Jul 4 2006, 03:34 PM
tkew, lower arm changed liao but knocking noise still there. Same symptom like Mousy and KennyG bros, noise is in the cabin.

No issues with steering left or right...

Ah meng usj checked and said can fix by changing the steering rack i think that cost appx 800

just wanna get rid of the noise ...sigh
exactly same like u bro, i also change new set of lower arm with new bush and no issue on left right steering. ah meng told me a new set cost 2000+k (i wanna pengsan and decided to let the klok klok sound entertain me) when u cant beat it, just love it :D

Originally posted by ALBundy@Jul 4 2006, 03:31 PM
I don't think the repair kit will get rid of the klok klok klok sound. The other possibility is the internal gears of the rack has worn out, so there is free play. And when the road surface is uneven, the free play will cause the klok klok klok sound. Just a possibility...
maybe u r right coz mspeed told me the same thing, the internal rod or u call it gear might worn out (bengkok) and no way to solve it with repair kit unless u change it.

Originally posted by ylkhor@Jul 4 2006, 03:34 PM

800 bucks or 2000bucks wor...

a lot of difference leh?!?!!

Might have to change both the U-joint couplings in the steering column. 8-900 bucks

Mine wasn't making noises, but other symptoms were similar (was probably a matter of time before the noise started) but couldn't tahan the sloppy steering, so got those u joints changed and happy now.

Originally posted by scin@Jul 5 2006, 12:52 AM
Might have to change both the U-joint couplings in the steering column. 8-900 bucks

Mine wasn't making noises, but other symptoms were similar (was probably a matter of time before the noise started) but couldn't tahan the sloppy steering, so got those u joints changed and happy now.
bro,

where did you change yours?

now no steering free play or klik klok sound?

Top Bottom