buying parts off the net

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

hcl

Club Guest
Hi guys,I m not familiar with the rules and regulations of buying car parts off the internet and getting it shipped or expressed to Malaysia, would my purchase get detained at customs ? tax ? can someone please tell me what I need to know prior to buying anything and getting it here. thanks HCL

Most auto parts are taxable, so you'll have to pay import duty and maybe sales tax. But some types of parts may be tax-free. Ask your freight forwarding agent or courier express service to check the Customs Duties Order to see what duties will be levied on the particular type of parts you're interested in.

depending on the price of the items

be prepare to pay abt 30%

Try to under declare your stuff. Item not exceeding RM500 including shipping charges will be tax exempt. That is what i'm currently doing. All my stuff thru internet come straight to my house. If the item is too big, then it'll stuck in custom. But remember to add in invoice ( under declare value ), so that nothing much they can do to tax us. Just to share, i've always put value for the item not exceeding usd 59.99. Then you'll be save.
Hopefully custom officer doesn't read this... LOL.

yes, but the cons of doing that would be the insurance, if ur things go missing, its only going to pay back the accordingly to the under declared value

Bro, how do you do it? :confused: The shipper will include a commercial invoice with the shipping documents, and to tell them what value to put is usually not acceptable to them, especially westerners. The only way I can think of is that you do the clearance yourself, and fudge the documents.

What shipping mode do you use? Express, air freight or sea freight?

Recently bought a pair of Pneumatic Springs from US for RM1600 (inclusive of RM400 delivery). Items held at the LCCT post/custom for clearance. Was quoted close to RM700 for tax. Was then adviced to request for reduction, fill in some forms bla bla bla, tax reduced to RM400. The custom director was not available at the time, otherwise might be able to get more reduction. (Thats what the officer told me)
I can get the same item from Auto Bavaria for RM1500 each. But they'll need to order from Germany and take around 1 month to arrive. Mine arrived 10 days after payment.

I've always ask the seller to include invoice on the shipment. But the value for the item is what i've requested. I think after we've made payments, anyone will do it for us, even the westerners i think... I'm using air freight.

Or you can ask the seller to tick on the custom declaration form as a "gift" or "sample" and value at no more than usd 60 if the seller feels uncomfortable to do a dummy invoice for you.

Schwepps;497508 said:
Bro, how do you do it? :confused: The shipper will include a commercial invoice with the shipping documents, and to tell them what value to put is usually not acceptable to them, especially westerners. The only way I can think of is that you do the clearance yourself, and fudge the documents.

What shipping mode do you use? Express, air freight or sea freight?

I suppose it depends on the size/type of organisation you're buying from. ;)

Ya. If the size is bigger, then it will be easily stuck there. But from my experience, non of my item is being taxed before. I've bought all my carbon stuff thru net. They will inform you by mail that your item is with them. Then we need to go down there to clarify that's all.

Top Bottom