BSRI & Warranty

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
Better get it checked while you can enJINer. I just changed all the pads and 2 disks on the Merc...RM7k+. Recently changed 1 cracked suspension arm and related bits...RM5k+. It ain't cheap once you're out of warranty maintenance!

So the moral of the story, drive hard and brake hard for the 1st 60,000 km. Then take it easy since it is out of own pocket to replace:21:.

p/s now waiting for SC to replace my whole engine since need to perform major operations to look for "noisy" cancer

Also changed the V-belt, tensioner and pulleys...just under RM3k! The Merc's maintenance costs are creeping up, RM15K in the last 6 months. The moral of the story is, after the 4th-5th year you're encouraged to change to new model - they don't make money if you keep driving the same old car. :4:

Schwepps;601256 said:
The moral of the story is, after the 4th-5th year you're encouraged to change to new model - they don't make money if you keep driving the same old car. :4:

for Merc or Bmw?

just changed my rear discs as well while getting my rear brake pad changed.... 59.4k km now, so this would mark the end of my BSRI with all 4 discs changed

dear guys, i'm a newbie here. i'm not sure whether this matter have been shared or not.

my friend just bought a german car with 5 years warranty with unlimited mileage.
why isn't BMWM have this sort of package?
I initially thought it was a marketing gimmick. but after i had a look at the 3 years warranty certificate,it cannot be a gimmick.
Moreover this insurance company is headquartered in Munich. same kampung lagi with our hq.

it got me thinking, BSRI is a damn good package, but it only last 60K km.
i'm willing to trade the cost of BSRI for another 2 years warranty with unlimited mileage.

that will help the residual, and if any of the parts fail, then claim warranty lo. of course, brake pads not included la.

it make more sense and fair for owners like us.
we pay the parts for what we use and can afford to change.
BMWM cover the parts that we cannot afford, like a mechanical item that gives way after 4 years.
it benefits the owners in the long run.
otherwise after the warranty ends everybody scurrying to sell off theirs.

i believe a BMW is as reliable as any german car.
so in this case, BMW can easily tie up with the Munich insurance company.

any comments to bring this up to BMWM?

BSRI includes services (oil change, brake pad change, disc brake change, battery change, even viper change) where as warranty is just... warranty....

u r probably comparing Volkswagen 5 years unlimited mileage warranty versus BMW BSRI, 2 different thing here... For the Volkswagen services, u still have to pay for every services item + labour where as BMW BSRI already includes the labour + services...

Dear Morganl,
i'm sure you know which angle i'm coming from, a swap for the cost of service with warranty.
yes, you are right it is that brand.(which i refuse to repeat its name nor mention.)
yes, it is two different things but with the same objective, offering a peace of mind during the ownership period.
perhaps i'm too naive for wanting a peace of mind?

i would prefer to take care of the costs when the car is new (which means; NEW car= less problem)
but as the time passed by (which means; OLD car= more problem), things get older, gremlins start cropping up in the system, etc
this is the time i wish to pass to 'someone'/BMWM to take care of it.

i had a look at the website, of what is covered...i can tell you after the 3rd or 4th year, (depending on how the moon align with your stars), i bet these things will give away; which is not my/your fault.

extracted from 'their' website 9. ELECTRICAL SYSTEM
Speedometer and sensors, odometer, tachometer, temperature gauges, horn, wiper motor and associated sensor,
windshield washer reservoir, fluid level sensor, headlight washer pump and associated components, head light
switch, brake light switch, turn signal switch, emergency flasher switch, door switches, back-up light switch, fog
light switch, alarm system components, wiring harnesses and connectors (non—modified by after market installation),
cruise control components, Starter motor unit including solenoid, Alternator unit, Voltage regulator, Coil unit, ignition
locks and electrical components, knock sensors, infrared entry receier (not for battery replacement), power door
actuators and associated switches, sun roof motor, sun roof switches and relay, convertible top hydraulic motor and
associated wiring, window regulator assemblies and motor, power window switches and associated wiring, side
view mirror motors and associated wiring, sunshade motor, air bag sensors and warning lights and associated
components, air bags, seat motors and heating elements and their relays, and multi media interface (MMI) components
not related to navigation and sound system, ignition switch, air bag sensors, airbags, seat motors, heating elements,
headlamp control units & horn.
Excluding: - Batteries, Light bulbs, Wiper bladesl rubbers, Distributor cap & Relays[/COLOR][/COLOR]

The 3 pointed star had this program few years back. i was told it cost RM15,000 per year.
that's RM45,000 for 3 years.

I would prefer the BMWM pay/cover that for me.

thanks for sharing, bro

anxious;604774 said:
Does BMW Msia have an extended warranty program..ie pay to extend warranty?

VW's program http://www.zerotohundred.com/2010/a...nounces-5-year-warranty-programme/#more-10282

Not that I know of. I believe that the car industry in Malaysia is just not competitive enough. Mercedes is already offering 3-year official warranties but their biggest competitor BMW is still happy with their 2-year official warranty.

If this were the US or Europe each luxury marque would be tripping over themselves to outdo the other. For example all the luxury marques (BMW, Merc, Lexus, Audi) in the US have 4-year warranties with similar T&C. Funny enough, the luxury marques in the US have longer warranties than the normal Nissan, Toyota or Honda which only come with 3-year warranties.

In the end, without competition we the consumers are the losers. :-(

The BMW owners here in general are the less calculative bunch and they bought the car still despite shorter warranty period, yet BMW out sold Merc in this country. It only show one thing, either they are insane or they know exactly what they want and it has nothing to do with warranty.. :4: Only when a buyer unsure of what they want, they start to compare which is offering longer warranty period, they should get VW because 5 years unlimited mileage warranty.. :10:

Thank you for defining who we are. In one way or another, experiencing the dynamics of BMW makes it worthwhile.
I hope this reply would not offend you as you are the treasurer, the calculative type.
eerr, the last time i read the news, and i rechecked again just now, in Malaysia for 2010, Mercedes registered 5003units cars and BMW registered 4006 units.
both news can be found in autoworld and bttimes. if their facts are wrong and we are right, get BMWM to take action.

BMW Total - 4509 units which comprises (from bttimes)
BMW Cars - 4006 u
MINI cars - 222 u
Motorrad - 281 u

Apologize again if this fact offended anyone.
i'm always willing to agree on everthing BMW but at the same time would like to get the real facts right, everytime and/or before i agree.
i just like to keep it real, that's all.

astroboy;604843 said:
The BMW owners here in general are the less calculative bunch and they bought the car still despite shorter warranty period, yet BMW out sold Merc in this country. It only show one thing, either they are insane or they know exactly what they want and it has nothing to do with warranty.. :4: Only when a buyer unsure of what they want, they start to compare which is offering longer warranty period, they should get VW because 5 years unlimited mileage warranty.. :10:

Dude you're proving my point. We know what we want so we're the losers in this one because BMWM is taking advantage of us knowing that we don't have much choice, it's either them or the equally expensive recond cars.

Thanks bmw172 for posting the statistics. For as long as I can recall BMW in Malaysia has never outsold Mercedes. It's a different story globally. Is BMWM happy enough with this status quo?

hehe... sorry for the wrongly quoted facts.. :4: Actually majority of luxury market customer places cabin space and comfort ahead of performance, that explained the good sales. Warranty is secondary.

VW chooses the extended warranty strategy to penetrate the luxury car market, complimented with high horsepower small engine and low markups for CBU, they did well last year.

Auto Performance now offers a 4 year warranty for Porsches and extended warranty up to 8 years subject to inspections. They even offer it to grey imports subject to inspections. And it's also a Sime Darby company.

Warranty is important when you have to fork out thousands for each repair and 5-figure repair bills aren't uncommon. I would say BMW is definitely falling behind now. Their aftersales service has never been great anyway, and constant repairs was the reason I stayed away for 10 years after off-loading my out-of-warranty E36.

Schwepps;604943 said:
Auto Performance now offers a 4 year warranty for Porsches and extended warranty up to 8 years subject to inspections. They even offer it to grey imports subject to inspections. And it's also a Sime Darby company.

Warranty is important when you have to fork out thousands for each repair and 5-figure repair bills aren't uncommon. I would say BMW is definitely falling behind now. Their aftersales service has never been great anyway, and constant repairs was the reason I stayed away for 10 years after off-loading my out-of-warranty E36.

Yea.... Sime was aiming to take back a chunk of market share from the grey importer of Porsche with this program, where as BMW is just taking their own sweet time to milk more from the diehard supporter fans group like our treasurer...

also, FYI on a comparison of sales volume between Msia & India:

BMW Malaysia 2010: 4006 (passenger car only, excluding Mini & Bikes)
BMW India 2010: 4200 ( as quoted by BMW’s India President, which proved to be an exceptional year and difficult to repeat in coming years)

Merc Malaysia 2010: 5003 (passenger car only, 1956 units of C class, 2152 units of new E Class, 343 units of S-Class, 510 units of certified pre-owned)
Merc India 2010: 5819 (E-class model with 2490 units, C-class securing 2070 units and its SUV dragging 523 units.)

Msian really definately boleh based on the figure above considering the population & geographical gap between the 2 countries....

If VW continue to able assault the BMW/MB sales nos, you may (just might) see some hope. If the outgoing MY MB MD/CEO?? can warn that VW is changing the local luxury car scene... I think they are taking notice.

If MB offer 5 yrs...and BMW not responding fast, expect the sales volume gap to continue and if the consumer willing to buy despite such "short change" ie pay more than your counterpart in other country and yet poor sales services as mentioned plus super short warranty.... 2 yrs. The BSRI is peanuts compare to component failure cost...then I guess you deserve to get slaughter like gameover said..

While I'm at very itching now for that premium selection 320D I tested, I'm now more leaning toward the VW GTI or Scirocco GT simply being these 2 can provide similar driving experience (no offence) but I have less worry of the warranty coverage. If BMW come with similar length, the premium selection range will still provide easily 3yrs coverage.

Top Bottom