BMW X3 - Air Con gas leak, how to detect??

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

shanbala

Club Guest
Hello ALL,My 2006 E83 X3 appear to be losing air con gas over time. 2 months ago, took it to Naidu for gas refill, with another unscheduled visit yesterday for the same problem. Naidu has advised me that the cooling coil needs to be replaced. This involves removing the front dash which I am uncomfortable with. Before I go down the line of replacing the cooling coil, what other checks can I perform to Eliminate the possibility of leak in other parts of the cooling system.A review of the many BMW forums indicate that there is the possibility that leaks can happen through out the system. They talk about filling a coloured dye into the system, then using a torch light to seek out any leaks. The fluorescent nature of the dye will show up any leaks. Naidu did not carry out any specific test. Thus, has any other forum members carried out further checks before "blaming" the poor cooling coil.rgds

i've seen some aircond sifu's out there who do carry some sort of device that could detect gas leak ... it's some sort of handheld device with a beeper with a long probe ..he will be touching most of the bolted areas and some suspected points .. hope this help.

and old theory is to lite up a lighter while the blower is in full blowing mode ...forgot on how it's done ...

it varies actually, it can be your condenser, compressor, piping..etc. im with you on the removing of dashboard, for me that will be the last thing i want to do

why dont you leave the car and let him do a thorough check..who knows its something else. happened to me last time, thought it was the cooling coil, in the end, compressor leaked

Top Bottom