water leak

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
my mechanic suspect a blown gasket too, price he told is about 1200, is it reasonable????

Originally posted by willie@Dec 27 2004, 06:15 PM my mechanic suspect a blown gasket too, price he told is about 1200, is it reasonable????
check with c-square. I think he mention he have done it to his car.He might be able to give you an indication on how much it cost him.

opened up my engine today..... a lot of places got leak, changing all those small small hose...... going to have my timing chain replacement too......

Originally posted by willie@Dec 28 2004, 09:04 PM
opened up my engine today..... a lot of places got leak, changing all those small small hose...... going to have my timing chain replacement too......
what the cost of damage?

how often do u guys refill ur radiator???? last time i saw someone saying that refill every 3~4 days could be normal (but then 3~4 days of city drive??? long distance???)......

mine reservior tank's water level decreses a bit when i travel for long distance(after changed the gasket), normal ah??? because last time i never check the water tank so frequent leh....

Originally posted by willie@Jan 3 2005, 11:58 PM
how often do u guys refill ur radiator???? last time i saw someone saying that refill every 3~4 days could be normal (but then 3~4 days of city drive??? long distance???)......

mine reservior tank's water level decreses a bit when i travel for long distance(after changed the gasket), normal ah??? because last time i never check the water tank so frequent leh....
After sorting out my water problems, I hardly need to refill... but once a week I always check the water level physically just in case.

Originally posted by flash@Jan 4 2005, 08:41 AM
After sorting out my water problems, I hardly need to refill... but once a week I always check the water level physically just in case.
same here. previously had to top up once a week. the only visible leak was crack at reservoir. in hindsight, most likely leak elsewhere in radiator coz after changing the radiator, only need to top up (a little) once in 2 months! farking incredible!!

i did a top overhaul one week back..... so don't know any problem related with it or not..... but the water level decrease a bit bit as compared to the amount of water decrease everyday before i did the top overhaul.....

the mechanic said that maybe still got some amount of air inside, so ask me to wait for a week and see.....

Originally posted by willie@Jan 6 2005, 02:06 PM
the mechanic said that maybe still got some amount of air inside, so ask me to wait for a week and see.....
Hmmm, I did not have to wait for a few days to have my water level stabilise... did your mech release air from the system by opening the air bleeder screw and let the air out... while the engine is running / revved?

don't know leh, i was there when he remove the parts, but not there while he putting back all those parts.......

Hi there, I have once encounter quite the similar problem with coolant low and hissing sound on my E36,It took me quite a while to find out. In my case the thermostat housing was having the fine crack at the mounting position. The mech. must have over tightened or the the material (Plastic) give in.
I changed the thermostat housing,water pump and metal propeller as a precaution measure. after 2 weeks found the coolant low warning sign and keep topping up water to find the leak. At the end the Thermostat Housing was the culprit. Cost me RM98. for the housing.

You might want to check it out. Good Luck.

Originally posted by e21jbk@Jan 7 2005, 04:21 PM
Hi there, I have once encounter quite the similar problem with coolant low and hissing sound on my E36,It took me quite a while to find out. In my case the thermostat housing was having the fine crack at the mounting position. The mech. must have over tightened or the the material (Plastic) give in.
I changed the thermostat housing,water pump and metal propeller as a precaution measure. after 2 weeks found the coolant low warning sign and keep topping up water to find the leak. At the end the Thermostat Housing was the culprit. Cost me RM98. for the housing.

You might want to check it out. Good Luck.
bingo, that the leak i got, that's why the water level is decreasing bit by bit.... it cost me RM95

Glad that the ordeal is over isnt't it?.. You might wonder why the Mech. barking at the wrong place..

Top Bottom