BMW E60 520i 2004 .. Need advise

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Niwooe

Club Guest
Hi All!I've been a huge fan of BMW since I was a kid and I came across a wonderful looking E60 for sale last week (going for about 80k+). Lady Owner, accident free, 150k mileage for 9 year old car. Some advise I need as below:
  • Is the older M54 engine on the E60 2004 reliable as compared to the newer n52? (this car's engine was surprisingly very quiet for a 9 year old car)
  • I managed to briefly check through the receipts from the workshop (M1 Segambut) and most of the maintenance are quite minor, any possibilities that I'd have to prepare for the major ones in near future?
  • My father has experience in maintaining conti cars (he's currently driving a Citroen), will the maintenance cost for a BMW be way higher or comparable?
  • We love the look of the car but since it will be our first BMW is it a good choice?
some pics that I managed to take of the actual car is in the attachmentsThank you so much in advance for the help!!!

Hi, the car in the photo looks exactly like my E60 520i. The biggest advantage is that this engine does not suffer the oil consumption or sludge issue. Mine is OK after so long.

I even decided to keep the car even after I have gotten a new F10. Maintenance is very minimal with routine service and shouldn't be difficult to sort out.

There are a few variants of the E60 520i for 2004 - first batch are the best CBU Germany (with Active Steering), then there are those from Thailands (w/wo Active Steering) and then the CKDs.

The car in the photo looks well maintained - just do a routine check on Steering Racks, Absorbers and I think there was also a recall to check battery connections. Other than that - enjoy the excellent drive and economical engine.

@Cafee Noted, thank you for the tip! :D

@Bimmer78 thanks! absolutely in love with this car :)

I got a friend in Singapore driving a E60 520 2004. Up to now no major problem at all, btw he is the 3rd owner. IMO it is a good choice.

I bought a local 520i in 2005. No issues and was an excellent car. Had it for about 2 years. Honestly, the only thing I didnt like was its too underpowered for my liking. I prefer a crispier and a lighter acceleration like my 525i now. Along with it I also liked all the features bells and whistles in a higher spec model.

But overall its still an excellent car...especially if you find a very well maintained one.

Hi Niwooe, from the photos car looked decently maintained and still in good condition, both exterior and interior. The M54 is quite bullet-proof and was won many awards during its time. If previous owner serviced it on time, it should be quite a safe buy. Care to list the "minor" maintenance that have been done? Cars with such age and milleage should have normally replaced the shocks and prolly some parts in the cooling system. But yea like what cafee has said, do check one the critical parts, the active steering especially (if the car comes with it).

Niwooe;837283 said:
Hi All!

I've been a huge fan of BMW since I was a kid and I came across a wonderful looking E60 for sale last week (going for about 80k+). Lady Owner, accident free, 150k mileage for 9 year old car.

Niwooe,
Good choice for that price range. M54 is a proven engine and relatively cheaper to maintain than the N52. A few things to look out for that age and mileage would be gearbox, active steering and iDrive monitor.

Cheers

Hi Niwooe,

Noticed picture in 5/9 some rewiring (red cables) on the top left on the engine bay. Near to the ABS brake hoses.... Better check what wiring is that....

Overall the exterior looks good.

Thanks guys for all your opinions, looking forward to test driving it again before making my decision :top:

I'm having the similar one, Japan spec 525, but no PDC... So far so good after 2.5 years driving....

Top Bottom