bmw e46 with M43 engine really not that recommend?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

nivekqueen

Dear All,

It is my pleasure to write a msg to all of owner of BMW.
Recently I plan to sell my buatan malaysia car because the size was too small and not suitable for taking family going back hometown or going makan makan.

I used to be a general technician before that more on repairing Japanese vehicle, i have confident on maintenance BMW if it just need to change engine oil and transmission oil. Maybe It also a opportunity for learning BMW car when getting one.

Here the question,

All my fren (without BMW) recommend me get the facelift version with N42 engine which they said more powerful (CKD)
I have visit 2 used car dealer to look at e46 facelift, the condition not that good, and the pricing was around 48~50k OTR.
which quite a burden for me. Because It just can loan 3~4 years with high interest rate and monthly payment with rm 9xx.

I put my view on the non facelift version (CKD) with 1900cc M43 engine. when I mention to fren,
they reaction were : walau.....u will regret, it damn underpower and u cant even win a proton on acceleration.

but the pricing was marvelous and I maybe can buy it with cash (if with good deal).

Need advise from otai otai or ex owner maybe current owner,
m43 really that not recommend?
m43 auto transmission was GM transmission with 4 speed or 5 speed?

I awaiting good news with patient.

Thank you

Between the above 2 choices, I would go for M43 1.9 Although may not have as much oomph as the N42/N46 but maintenance wise is more affordable.
However if you have the budget, you may want to take a look at those M54 E46 which are 320i 2.2, 325i 2.5 or the marvellous 330i 3.0

Don't bother with the n42, go straight to the m54 if possible

subraputra said:
M43 is 4 speed gear box
thank you bro.
will the fuel consumption and pick up slow?

Vincent Hor said:
Between the above 2 choices, I would go for M43 1.9 Although may not have as much oomph as the N42/N46 but maintenance wise is more affordable.
However if you have the budget, you may want to take a look at those M54 E46 which are 320i 2.2, 325i 2.5 or the marvellous 330i 3.0
Thank you for your advise,
like my wife told me, you will boring and get change to another car after 6~ 7 year, just get a affordable version.

gendong said:
Don't bother with the n42, go straight to the m54 if possible
Good advise,
like other said, if you wan BMW, just go for 6 pot (cylinder).

hi

If it just a family car, there's no sense on getting the powerful one. safety feature of the car should be the priority.

Mel279 said:
hi

If it just a family car, there's no sense on getting the powerful one. safety feature of the car should be the priority.
Thank you for your advise.
Hopefully M43 wont give me lot of problem.

I don't think the M54 is going to cost a whole lot more in maintenance compared to the M43. Since you're a capable mechanic, you can pretty much DIY, there are plenty of material and step by step guide online in US forums.

With that being said, if you go with the 6cyl (2.5,2.8 or 3.0) the power difference is night and day with the M43. I've experienced both and I would never consider the M43. From personal experience, the engine is probably one of the more robust part on these cars. If worrying about maintenance I'd be more worried about other parts.

Good luck with your hunt!

2wenty6 said:
I don't think the M54 is going to cost a whole lot more in maintenance compared to the M43. Since you're a capable mechanic, you can pretty much DIY, there are plenty of material and step by step guide online in US forums.

With that being said, if you go with the 6cyl (2.5,2.8 or 3.0) the power difference is night and day with the M43. I've experienced both and I would never consider the M43. From personal experience, the engine is probably one of the more robust part on these cars. If worrying about maintenance I'd be more worried about other parts.

Good luck with your hunt!
unstopables_7 said:
go for 6potter bro!
thank you for ur advise.

wife controlling my finance.....
she just allow me to get a car around 30k.
i think the answer is quite cut clear from her side.
She know I will change another around 5~7 years.

I will consider the 1.9L 1st, seen it is the most affordable version

I will go have a look for this e46,
anyone know was this our ex Member??

http://www.mudah.my/Bmw+e46+2+0+a+facelift+05-26494385.htm

The e46 shown in the mudah is very recommended to buy. This engine is very less problem.

tweiboon said:
The e46 shown in the mudah is very recommended to buy. This engine is very less problem.
thank mate,

I will have a look on the vehicle this saturday.

Thank you

i have an E46 and a Wira
i think E46 is not that spacious

i would agree with ariff habshi.. go get E39 instead with M54 engine

just go ahead what u think, too many suggestion will never end, check carefully before buy, isit changed a lot of new parts? if not it will burn a hole in ur pocket.

ariff habshi said:
why not e39? with m54 engine.. bigger space for the family... and on mudah.my are selling so cheap...

metalbox said:
i have an E46 and a Wira
i think E46 is not that spacious

i would agree with ariff habshi.. go get E39 instead with M54 engine
Thank you for input,
my dear bro.

I got plan for e39 also, but dont know why plan to get a c segment 1st before upgrade to D....

Rick Wong said:
just go ahead what u think, too many suggestion will never end, check carefully before buy, isit changed a lot of new parts? if not it will burn a hole in ur pocket.
Indeed,
Mr Wong ( me also Mr wong, hehe :rock: )

now I restoring my Myvi to original,
and wait till September, grab My bonus and here I come :67:

my advise is go for e46 325i you wiil enjoy the whole lot more and is not much of diffrence in terms of price now, m43 is a robut engine, but the power really very bad, and you dont get the 6 potter feel at all. there is some m43 with 5 speed auto but it wont help much.

i have own m43/m50/m54, just go for m54 check properly and you will be safe. if e39 is in your consideration just go for it , i have 2 e39 m54b25 and m62 v8 both are good car . m54 is prone to engine oil hilang, but is not that expensive to fix. if possible get local car, jap spec is not recommended.

Go for the 325 if you can. I owned a 318CI though a great car with no engine issue it was very sluggish.

Top Bottom