Some maintenance done last weekend

Hi guys, went to Bomin again last weekend to do some maintenance:

1) Engine oil, oil filter, air filter
2) Front brake pad and sensor
3) New battery
4) CCV replacement
5) DISA (adjuster unit) replacement

7998643486_192f2e88f1_c.jpg

Trying out the Ravenol 10W40 Semi Synthethic oil. As usual changed with a Bosch oil filter.

Didn't get a picture of the new brake pad as I left the workshop for a while, but I changed to an ATE front brakepad along with a new sensor.

7998639972_3b368fa532_c.jpg

The original battery in the car. This has lasted the entire life of the car up to this point (5 months shy of 10 years), but in serious need of replacement. It could not keep the charge sufficiently anymore, but the car still starts on itself but can be felt struggling.

7998639394_333a2fe757_c.jpg

Battery out.

7998641428_4ea2a28621_c.jpg

7998637499_2a938789c4_c.jpg

New uprated Bosch S4 100Ah (DIN100) battery. The original was 80Ah.

7998639702_d2f6674aa1_c.jpg

New and old battery size compared. Slightly longer. Installed the new battery in.

7998642908_04085e8320_c.jpg

Work starts on replacing CCV. I asked in the forum previously about changing them myself, I felt capable of doing it but time and space constraints, decided to let Bomin do it for me. I live in an apartment now, would do it if I have my own porch. Will have it soon though.

7998639797_1e37afe219_c.jpg

The CCV and hoses out. As these has been in the car for the past nearly 10 years, most of it became brittle and broke upon removal. I planned for all hoses to be changed anyway. Also in the photo is the exhausted front brake pads.

7998636157_69e1bc980d_c.jpg

This photo was not in proper focus, but what I'm trying to capture is the amount of oil trapped in the oil separator and hoses. Most mechanics call this unit 'jantung', and using that term, I can safely say that this heart has a lot of cholesterol stuck in it. Heart attack is imminent.

7998636407_af4b31a915_c.jpg

The oil separator from another angle. Before it was removed, when the engine is running you could hear a hissing wind sound coming from the engine when it was running. Turns out the source was a crack in the oil separator unit itself. You can see it in the neck connecting it to the upper part.

7998640049_5dc427d928_c.jpg

Didn't get the change to take the photo of all the part, but the oil separator and hoses are changed with genuine BMW parts.

7998643206_2f34ca8109_c.jpg

Also when removed, it appears that the DISA valve (adjuster unit) flap is worn out and loose. Reading on the internet afterwards reveals that this is quite common on the M54 engine. Different part number for the 530i compared to the 525i/520i. Was told over RM1k brand new to replace.

Luckily its the same unit used in X5s and other with M54B30 engine so its easily available from chop shop. So called our friendly MK Autoparts and got a second hand unit delivered to Bomin in good condition for a reasonable price:

7998641974_48dced3c21_c.jpg

All installed, error codes reset and finally the car runs fine after been having intermittent issues since just before Raya.

A big hole in the wallet...bila mau gaji...

I think its roughly idling if the flap is not closed properly during idling. It will open at high RPM.

ariff habshi;771114 said:
hey bro.. what symptoms did u face tht u decide to replace the DISA?

Rough idling and misfiring. I think its the combination of the faulty DISA unit and the air leak in the oil separator. Initially I thought its only the oil separator problem, only know about the DISA once opened.

The flap is totally loose and the motor no longer in control of the flap, so it opens all the time.

While I was there with the mechanic at Bomin, it was raining. Suddenly all of us heard a loud bang on the road in front of the workshop.

An old Toyota Crown (correct m if I'm wrong, not that familiar) was speeding on the road which was wet after the rain, hit the divider and flew to the other side hitting the metal dividers and a Viva.

The driver immediately opened his door and vanished. By the time I ran to the car he's already gone. Roadtax expired in 2011, so its safe to assume no insurance either. Pity the Viva guy.

7998641184_d9ba4d28de_c.jpg

7998638235_d1fd98f97c_c.jpg

7998637869_b10c08a212_c.jpg

FYI there are guys selling the DISA repair kit on the net which replaces the flap and the holding arm. But quite expensive also.

Nice update bro :top: ... How much did you get for the DISA from MK Autoparts if you don't mind me asking?

So the cel is gone for good now? Also if u dont mind can u pm me the cost of the ccv, labor plus parts? How's the ravenol? I tried before but personally I could feel nothing special. Now on liqui moly semi feeling engine is lighter. Maybe just my feeling lol.

huskar3399;771250 said:
So the cel is gone for good now? Also if u dont mind can u pm me the cost of the ccv, labor plus parts? How's the ravenol? I tried before but personally I could feel nothing special. Now on liqui moly semi feeling engine is lighter. Maybe just my feeling lol.

So far so good, no more CEL light.

Actually my butt dyno is not that good, I never felt any difference of any oil or petrol I used. Pedal to metal all the wayy..

Just changed the last 2 of my original ignition coils. Proven true what people said, once 1 of the coils start to fail, all of them will fail. I had replaced all 6 of the ignition coils during the last 3-4 months. All of them failed one by one. Today was the last two (cylinder 2 and 6).

Anyway while changing the coils in my office car park, noticed a new leak in the hose next to the expansion tank. The middle section of the hose is like other hoses (black rubber?) but both ends are aluminium/metal hose. The metal hose connecting just at the side of the expansion tank is crooked like a 'S'. I always thought this was an aircond hose, but it was leaking oil! Anybody knows what hose is this? Picture below:

8032281540_7f1bb786bb_c.jpg

haywire;774351 said:
Just changed the last 2 of my original ignition coils. Proven true what people said, once 1 of the coils start to fail, all of them will fail. I had replaced all 6 of the ignition coils during the last 3-4 months. All of them failed one by one. Today was the last two (cylinder 2 and 6).

Anyway while changing the coils in my office car park, noticed a new leak in the hose next to the expansion tank. The middle section of the hose is like other hoses (black rubber?) but both ends are aluminium/metal hose. The metal hose connecting just at the side of the expansion tank is crooked like a 'S'. I always thought this was an aircond hose, but it was leaking oil! Anybody knows what hose is this? Picture below:

8032281540_7f1bb786bb_c.jpg
Its aircond hose connected to compressor..recently replace at Naidu..

gunmetal;774357 said:
Its aircond hose connected to compressor..recently replace at Naidu..

So it is an aircond hose then...maybe the oil is dripping from somewhere else.

haywire;774351 said:

how did u confirm on the faulty ignition coils? is it shown by the scanner? i changed mine couple of months back, all 6 at a time.

i have no idea what kind of hose that is but it looks like a power steering pressure hose at my civic. same rubber and two metal connectors at both edges.

Bro after changing 4 of them last time I kinda know already la. Confirmed air cond hose with fariz last night, as the hose goes into the compressor. But what baffles me is why aircond hose got oil?

Power steering hose is on the other side.

Bro need to return your tools, went near your house early this week but too late to call you. When la?

haywire;774489 said:
Bro after changing 4 of them last time I kinda know already la. Confirmed air cond hose with fariz last night, as the hose goes into the compressor. But what baffles me is why aircond hose got oil?

Bro need to return your tools, went near your house early this week but too late to call you. When la?

I was told aircon compressor need oil to work. Many aircon shop will confirmed that

haywire;774489 said:

bro i'll be at kayu ara attending training until friday. perhaps it's closer to your place rather than my home. let me know earlier if u plan to meet.

it is aircond hose to compressor.. mine's leaking too.. according to optimum if u want to change might as well service the aircond itself as the gas will be emptied.. mine's only trickling a little oil so i tutup seblah mata...

haywire;774489 said:

Bro Haywire, air cond system got oil as lubrication. Compressor got pistons just like engine, hence compressor oil. Compressor no oil is just like engine no oil. Compressor making any noise, if yes, oil is low.

Nice thread, nice color, nice specs, nice wheels, nice DIYs! Lots of TLC! Good job bro!

Top Bottom