DIY on e30?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
rm500 is very reasonable. But than you might as well do the timing chain and lifsters while you at it. All will come to well above 1.5K heheheh

Still, well worth doing i think.

RM500? Oo, I was expecting more like RM1k+ for a brand new camshaft haha. :D
I did a full overhaul on my M40 recently, so don't think I'll be bothered to change camshaft anymore, quite used to the noise already.

kgb;542083 said:
rm500 is very reasonable. But than you might as well do the timing chain and lifsters while you at it. All will come to well above 1.5K heheheh

Still, well worth doing i think.

M40 running on timing belt... Contitech belt are RM60 or thereabout. then the bearing tensioners another 100 or so..

Anyway, the point is the M40 parts aren't all that expensive...

good, than minor top overhaul it is!!!

i red somewhere, that if timing belt/chain on e30 breaks or snaps, you can say good bye to your engine. How true is this?

Some of the Jap engines i am familiar with, don't do that. if belt goes, not a worry, reset timing, new belt and off you go, most of the time. Worst comes to worst, may need to change tappets. How true is this on e30 M40?

fabianyee;541653 said:
E30 318i can't keep up with the E30 328i on straight but can catch up on B roads cos the E30 is lighter and more agile and also the manual gearbox vs the autobox in the E36 328i...

But we did gave the 328i a good run leh during the M40 days. ;).

All in all, the E30 M40 is not THAT slow. Even the E36 M40 also not that shy. ;)

To keep everyone updated. I will be doing a top overhaul for the lifters and cams. Will update everyone on the outcome. :) plus the cost as well.

elwine30;542099 said:
To keep everyone updated. I will be doing a top overhaul for the lifters and cams. Will update everyone on the outcome. :) plus the cost as well.

which car la bro? thot you sold the E36..

evilnickwong;541340 said:
Also:

Racing Dynamics
Kamei

And each brand also got few variations for pre and post facelift.

Fabs, where did you get IS skirts? Those are hard to find for post facelift. :D

found a photo of a nice E30 with IS lip and IS sideskirt.

DSC_0846.jpg

Just came from mechanics. based from what i've observed (from 12 to about 7pm) DIY on e30 is very much feasible. All you need to have is some basic tools and off you go! (basic mechanical knowledge would also help)

Good luck boys.

2wenty6;542588 said:
What work did you do on your e30 kgb?

Copy and paste from: http://www.bmwclubmalaysia.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36012&page=4

- engine mountings in need of replacement (will do tomorrow)
- clutch and break fluids had to be replaced (done)
- long shaft is due for replacement (not that bad, so will slowly hunt around for a cheap cheap one)
- steering rod coupling (done)
- steering link free play(done)
- both front wheel bearings (done)
- one rear wheel bearing (done)
- engine oil and filter change (done)
- timing belt (will do first thing in the morning tomorrow)
- both drive shafts are out, one of them is jamming up already (will do tomorrow)
- engine tune up needs to be done
- rear axle oil was like shit (changed)
- exhaust was cracked in 3 places (welded)

2wenty6;541654 said:
What about this car?
http://www.mudah.my/Bmw+E30+2+pintu+87-6554951.htm
Looks like plastic bumper to me, and claimed to be 1987 model 323.

When checking out/test driving an e30, what are the things that I should take note of and/or check to make sure its condition? Is it common to have more experienced fellow bmwcm members to tag along to help check the car out?

What kind of side skirt is it on the car in the link? Looks quite unique to me, that little bit of flare towards the wheel well.

And also, when checking out/test driving an e30, what are the things that I should take note of and/or check to make sure its condition? Is it common to have more experienced fellow bmwcm members to tag along to help check the car out? (haven't got this answered :p) Thanks guys :top:

Top Bottom