BMW 520i Engine Failure

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
Hi Peterthomas,
Any update on your BMW engine? After reading about oil change at 30k KM, I could hardly believe this is happening to a prestigous car service centre but sounds like some incompetent services has been provided by those in Ingress. Do share some news for forum member to learn.

Why am I not surprised to read about this engine failure? When I bought my car the SA actually told me to follow everything the onboard computer tell me to change.... except the engine oil. According to the BMW engineers, under BSRI, the engine oil change interval is set to a longer than required interval for Malaysian conditions. However, if the car was run in Europe, due to the cold weather, it would be alright to change the engine oil at 25000km to even 30000 km intervals. The weather and driving conditions here with the traffic jams and start stop driving require more frequent engine oil change due to the faster degradation of engine oil quality. During the first oil change, the oil viscosity that come out of the engine was like water. Imagine the type of engine damage that can happen under hard driving conditions.

After following the BSRI interval for the first oil change(20,000km), an AUDI technician who used to work in BMW told me to change it more often. I was looking for an AUDI Q7 and asked if Audi Malaysia was providing free service just like BMW. His reply was that Audi does not provide free service but under the current BMW service interval most engines will not last 100k kms and will most likely need an overhaul in his personal opinion. Audi just cannot afford to take the risk of having so many engines dying on them while under the warranty period. The clever thing that BMW did was to sell cars in 2012 with only 60,000 km limited warranty knowing very well that the engine will be able to take it.

I was personally still doubtful of the Audi technician's warning because I having faith in all things German, I didn't think BMW will make an engine that was so unreliable and prone to engine damage. I did however, take his advice to change engine oil at 10000kms because its still the cheapest preventive maintenance you can do for your car regardless of engine tech. I am running at 80,000 kms now and still going strong. Hopefully, I don't have to do an overhaul when it reaches 100,000 kms like our brother here.

Peace out bros and thanks for sharing.

Shotgun said:
Why am I not surprised to read about this engine failure? When I bought my car the SA actually told me to follow everything the onboard computer tell me to change.... except the engine oil. According to the BMW engineers, under BSRI, the engine oil change interval is set to a longer than required interval for Malaysian conditions. However, if the car was run in Europe, due to the cold weather, it would be alright to change the engine oil at 25000km to even 30000 km intervals. The weather and driving conditions here with the traffic jams and start stop driving require more frequent engine oil change due to the faster degradation of engine oil quality. During the first oil change, the oil viscosity that come out of the engine was like water. Imagine the type of engine damage that can happen under hard driving conditions.

After following the BSRI interval for the first oil change(20,000km), an AUDI technician who used to work in BMW told me to change it more often. I was looking for an AUDI Q7 and asked if Audi Malaysia was providing free service just like BMW. His reply was that Audi does not provide free service but under the current BMW service interval most engines will not last 100k kms and will most likely need an overhaul in his personal opinion. Audi just cannot afford to take the risk of having so many engines dying on them while under the warranty period. The clever thing that BMW did was to sell cars in 2012 with only 60,000 km limited warranty knowing very well that the engine will be able to take it.
I was personally still doubtful of the Audi technician's warning because I having faith in all things German, I didn't think BMW will make an engine that was so unreliable and prone to engine damage. I did however, take his advice to change engine oil at 10000kms because its still the cheapest preventive maintenance you can do for your car regardless of engine tech. I am running at 80,000 kms now and still going strong. Hopefully, I don't have to do an overhaul when it reaches 100,000 kms like our brother here.

Peace out bros and thanks for sharing.
Highly doubt you will have to overhaul @ 100k if you're changing @ every 10k intervals and yes you're right, these engines were designed very properly and have won many awards in the past years.

peterthomas57 said:
Hi there, I was wondering if I could get some advice on what to do. I own a 2012 BMW 520i .

My car is currently at Ingress Auto Damansara after sustaining a catastrophic engine failure and has been quoted a price of RM65K to repair it. The car has only 115000 KM in mileage and has been regularly serviced by ingress auto. They only change the synthetic engine oil every 30000 KM which causes sludge collection which subsequently causes wear and tear damage to the engine.

When I approached them, they claim verbally that the engine is only meant to last that long. However I believe that it is due to poor quality of the engine and poor servicing done by Ingress Auto.

I hope to get some expert opinion from the fellow forum members.

Thanks!

Other wear and tear parts are not affected, thus the car was not driven in a reckless manner.
Your 's was even better Mileage ... mine was just 80,000 KM and its 2011 535i which from the First day i got the Car i never fail to Service every 5,000 KM with Auto Bavaria. My Engine Failed on my Way back from Ipoh to KL and they quoted me same 65k MYR to repair it with no meaningful explanation as to why my engine failed! I was so Mad! Then i was like how much is a brand New Engine...they quoted me 75k MYR ... then i opted for a Brand New Engine with another 2years Warranty! But overall, am disappointed and like seriouly...this will be my LAST BMW*

After reading the posting on the BMW engine failure, I was a bit worry to buy a BMW car. Wearnes is offering me a preregistered 2016, 520i M with 4 years warranty left at RM280,888. You guys think is a good buy? Please comment.

Wong Tan Kim said:
After reading the posting on the BMW engine failure, I was a bit worry to buy a BMW car. Wearnes is offering me a preregistered 2016, 520i M with 4 years warranty left at RM280,888. You guys think is a good buy? Please comment.
Ingress is selling pre-reg 528i 2015 October for 270K. If you don't mind the new model coming out soon, it's a good buy. Every car would have its own problem but since you have warranty, you're well covered.

Bro Wong,

Case that u read was on a car;
1. with 115,000km on the odometer
2. Service interval was at 30,000km

Pretty much a workhorse for the owner, and service interval that is too long for most owners here. At that mileage, wear n tear replacements is a must. Service interval at 10,000km tops.

But since u r buying a car with warranty, and as bro aoch88 commented earlier, not to worry since ur covered. I'd go for the 528i ;)

Top Bottom