Planning to buy 520i but following this forum is not very encouraging

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
bmw owner i met all are super steve job little imperfection cannot accept one .

1) Poor dealer service - unable to pinpoint issues, takeing long time to resolve issues and sometimes not even acknowledgin its an issue

- no problem on mine went service to quil , very very goood. NO AB please even thou i brought my car there.

2) Recurring annoying issues like "pulling to the left" that dont seem to be resolved

- send to MPS and sunway problem solved. just pay RM 17x.00

3) RFTs uncomfortable and cost ( although in the test drive it didnt feel uncomfortable)

- good for you, i cannot take the noise of RFT.

4) BSRI every 25,000km but the car actually needs to be serviced every 10,000km ( i find this very wierd - i initally though BSRI was great value)

- i am on diesel, every 8k i go service No issue at all . maybe i drove my car HARD.

dark1234;772454 said:

1) Poor dealer service - unable to pinpoint issues, takeing long time to resolve issues and sometimes not even acknowledgin its an issue

- no problem on mine went service to quil , very very goood. NO AB please even thou i brought my car there.

2) Recurring annoying issues like "pulling to the left" that dont seem to be resolved

3) RFTs uncomfortable and cost ( although in the test drive it didnt feel uncomfortable)

4) BSRI every 25,000km but the car actually needs to be serviced every 10,000km ( i find this very wierd - i initally though BSRI was great value)

- i am on diesel, every 8k i go service No issue at all . maybe i drove my car HARD.

Cool.
I didnt realize that RFTs were noisy as Ive only done 5 min test drives. When I said uncomfortable I thought the complaints were they were "hard". So did you switch from RFTs to normal? What do you do in case of puncture - keep a repair kit in boot or what?
Just trying to learn from you :)

SinghisKing;772853 said:
Cool.
I didnt realize that RFTs were noisy as Ive only done 5 min test drives. When I said uncomfortable I thought the complaints were they were "hard". So did you switch from RFTs to normal? What do you do in case of puncture - keep a repair kit in boot or what?
Just trying to learn from you :)

Yes on nonrft toyo tire and I have mobility kit at boot also order space saver spare tire to be use when go unkown places

Chee Yong;772286 said:
Hi guys,

I'm new here. Tried looking for the right place to post but....

Anyways, I went for a test drive today at AB in Glenmarie. Instantly fell in love with the 520d and immediately placed an order. Their best deal was 5K off or a 1.88% financing. The sales person also gave me a free Vkool tinting. My question:
- I heard they can give more goodies....true?
- also, can we request for a change of rims/tires to the low profile ones used in the 528?

Thanks in advance!

Delivery is 2 weeks. Cant wait!!

Congrats. Enjoy your ride bro

astroboy;771758 said:
The slight pulling left is most probably due to the standard alignment settings pre-configured with the KDS alignment machine where it's mated for European road surface gradient. All the Euro marque SC uses the same KDS machine. You will notice your left and right camber degree with obvious difference and same for the toe degree. Do the alignment outside and your pulling left problem should be settled once and for all.

During our last visit to Wearnes, our OM here are offered special price for alignment service but I told them the settings are not suitable for our local roads. They ask me to provide my own preference settings and they can set the alignment to my preference.

Bro, can you pm me where is the best place to do the alignment? Ingress did mine, and i think it was done in their workshop in kepong, they swapped the the front tyre to rear and vice versa, still could feel a bit pulling to left especially on the highways.

Thanks in advance bro.

dark1234;772454 said:

where is this MPS AUTO? will it void the warranty if do outside?

I had an e90 for 4 years and I do not had any major problem.. I just got my f10, so far.. So good.. I do not have the problems mentioned.. I do However have some problems with my Audi Tt that I bought last year.. But Audi has got it sorted under warranty..hopefully .. It will be problem freee..

As for merc.. I had the worst experience from c&c .. My 2004 merc has countless problems and cost me rm50k to repair last year before I got enought and sold it off.. The merc cost me at least rm15 to 20k of repair every year after the warranty is over..

But either way, any car manufacturers will have their own problems.. So far, my bmw has been relatively problem free. And I hope it stay that way..

I guess some of the issues highlighted may have been caused by my post on another thread re the pull to the left issue. Unfortunately for me and some others, it is a real problem that remains unresolved. However others have reported no such issues so maybe its down to our bad luck. While the level of professionalism in acknowledging and then solving issues should be better (as this problem is not new and been resolved in other countries) the service manager at AB did finally try (somewhat) to do something albeit unsuccessfully. And if others have managed to solve it at MPS, then we would expect the main dealer to be able to do the same.

Regarding rfts, I think they are really not as bad a tyre as some have made it out to be. As i have changed mine to non rft PSS, I feel that the non rfts are slightly more comfy, just as noisy/quiet, but much cheaper. Performance wise, I have never ventured close to the limits of either tyre to find out how they compare so for me its moot. I changed mine on reading all the rave reviews of non-rft vs rft, but ended slightly underwhelmed in the end. Nevertheless, the rfts were also not available when I had a flat in Penang that could not be repaired so took the chance to change all 4 to PSS non rft. Pros for rft is the ability to continue driving if not too serious, and i had that happen to me at 12 midnight once and was ever so grateful for the rft. Driving on non rft makes the ride much more polished while rfts gives you some degree of peace of mind (at a price). Which appeals better is up to individual preferences. For me there is no clear winner, but personally I like the more comfortable ride as I have to deal with it daily.

Raywhc,

Did you have the pulling to the left from day one or is it after changing to the PSS? The higher end Michelins does have possibility of pulling unevenly as I've had 2 encounters with the old PS2 doing exactly that for my Audi.

The only way to manage it would to be to go to a really, really good tyre alignment and balancing shop that can do "touch and feel" kind of alignment if following the original setting fails. I usually go to Kee Hin in OKR if I have such problems and it'd take them a couple of tries but they will get it right in the end.

primus2211;772957 said:
Raywhc,

Did you have the pulling to the left from day one or is it after changing to the PSS? The higher end Michelins does have possibility of pulling unevenly as I've had 2 encounters with the old PS2 doing exactly that for my Audi.

The only way to manage it would to be to go to a really, really good tyre alignment and balancing shop that can do "touch and feel" kind of alignment if following the original setting fails. I usually go to Kee Hin in OKR if I have such problems and it'd take them a couple of tries but they will get it right in the end.

I had the pulling to the left from day 1 on the Conti rft. It is obvious on the highway which I drive every weekend on to Seremban. Hence it bugged me no end. Changing to PSS lessened the problem by about 60-70% actually. It still drifts but takes longer before you are on the other lane. The car tracks nowhere as straight as the other cars I have been driving, ie Camry, E39 or the Audi Q5 (FWD, RWD, AWD), but because it is so much better than before, I am much less bothered by it. When AB did the alignment (on the Conti), they referred to a printout which they said shows that everything is within specifications eventhough the drift was still apparent.

Back to the topic of the thread, I think the F10/11 is a good balance of comfort and performance, somewhat like the old E39. To me that is a better balance than Audis (generally too stiffly sprung so not so comfortable) or Mercs whose engine is not as "keen" as BMWs (although ride-wise similar to BMW). All this makes the BMW a good choice, while issues like those mentioned are not enough to make we want to choose something else...yet! :)

Rayhwc;772971 said:
I had the pulling to the left from day 1 on the Conti rft. It is obvious on the highway which I drive every weekend on to Seremban. Hence it bugged me no end. Changing to PSS lessened the problem by about 60-70% actually. It still drifts but takes longer before you are on the other lane. The car tracks nowhere as straight as the other cars I have been driving, ie Camry, E39 or the Audi Q5 (FWD, RWD, AWD), but because it is so much better than before, I am much less bothered by it. When AB did the alignment (on the Conti), they referred to a printout which they said shows that everything is within specifications eventhough the drift was still apparent.

If that is the case then I'd definately recommend sending it to a good alignment shop. Just tell them the car drifts to one side and get the to adjust it. They'd try with specs, failing that they're go with feel which normally solves the problem. This however would need the person doing the work to be fairly experienced. Dealerships will do everything by the book.

Rayhwc;772971 said:
Back to the topic of the thread, I think the F10/11 is a good balance of comfort and performance, somewhat like the old E39. To me that is a better balance than Audis (generally too stiffly sprung so not so comfortable) or Mercs whose engine is not as "keen" as BMWs (although ride-wise similar to BMW). All this makes the BMW a good choice, while issues like those mentioned are not enough to make we want to choose something else...yet! :)

This is very subjective to driver. I personally find that after 10,000 km on the F10, it feels quite floaty once the suspension systems settles in and even on 20" it's still soft. The newer A4's and A6's are definately too soft on the comfort setting and a little too hard for the car at dynamic setting. Need something in between.

Rayhwc;772934 said:
I guess some of the issues highlighted may have been caused by my post on another thread re the pull to the left issue. Unfortunately for me and some others, it is a real problem that remains unresolved.
Ray - I posted that "pulling to left" as among the issues as it was a fairly recent one that several others had challenges with too. I guess I would find it very annoying going to get it rectified at various places and the authorized dealer doesnt acknowledge that its an issue and cant rectify. I feel your pain and do let us know if you managed to solve it with "expert" alignment. On the RFTs I didnt realize that non-availability is an issue. Is it difficult to get RFTs from tyre shops in Penang?
Also I hear that RFTs are not easily repaired like non RFTs. In your situation was it just a normal puncture that couldnt be repaired or was it a tear?

regards

Wow - floaty? Thats very un-BMW. Is that just on Comfort +?
What about Comfort/Normal or Sport/+ ?
primus2211;772997 said:
This is very subjective to driver. I personally find that after 10,000 km on the F10, it feels quite floaty once the suspension systems settles in and even on 20" it's still soft. The newer A4's and A6's are definately too soft on the comfort setting and a little too hard for the car at dynamic setting. Need something in between.

SinghisKing,

Thanks!

When I was at AB Glanmarie, there was a 520i pre-reg with 0 mileage going cheap...6% to be exact.

Tested both the 520i n the 520d....chose the 520d

Mine is white with black seats

primus2211;772997 said:

you need hartge spring, i am thinking of buying 1 set.

primus2211;772997 said:

Ok I kinda agree with you on that. It is indeed floaty in Comfort, much less so in Normal, and fine in Sport. Hence, even though i am big on comfort vs handling, I seldom use the Comfort setting.

It's not true you can't patch or repair RFTs. BMW dealers (and some tyre shops) tell you that coz they make a tonne of dosh making you replace the tyre. You can patch it as easily as a normal tyre. No issue.

Top Bottom