Planning to buy 520i but following this forum is not very encouraging

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
SinghisKing;773025 said:
Wow - floaty? Thats very un-BMW. Is that just on Comfort +?
What about Comfort/Normal or Sport/+ ?

Usually would leave it on Comfort (not +) which is default, EcoPro when stuck in jam and Sport (not +) when I do Karak drive. To be frank, Sport does not really render the suspension a lot firmer, just marginally. I only use it because the response on hill climb is better. If I keep the car long enough, I'd probably change the absorbers to tighten up the dampening and not the springs as those would incur jarring sensation if done wrong on 20"s.

Rayhwc;773118 said:
Ok I kinda agree with you on that. It is indeed floaty in Comfort, much less so in Normal, and fine in Sport. Hence, even though i am big on comfort vs handling, I seldom use the Comfort setting.

Is there a "Normal" mode? In my F10 only Eco Pro, Comfort +, Comfort, Sport and Sport +.

JBJB;773321 said:
Is there a "Normal" mode? In my F10 only Eco Pro, Comfort +, Comfort, Sport and Sport +.
From my reading, my understanding is Comfort = Normal. Apparently on earlier models it was termed Normal, but subseqiuently the term became Comfort becuase Normal sounded too ordinary for an ultimate driving machine :)

dark1234;773108 said:
you need hartge spring, i am thinking of buying 1 set.
Any stiffer springs without lowering the car available? Definitely too soft in Normal mode and in Sports mode, the steering feels funny-too stiff.

Kht;773433 said:
Any stiffer springs without lowering the car available? Definitely too soft in Normal mode and in Sports mode, the steering feels funny-too stiff.

no all will lower it by 3cm

the pulling to the left is default for right hand drive car. i was informed that this is also a safety feature. imaging when you are on the road and you doze off... would it be better for the car to swerve right towards oncoming cars to towards the left probably to some bushes...?

come to think about it, i can accept that explanation.

astroboy;771758 said:
The slight pulling left is most probably due to the standard alignment settings pre-configured with the KDS alignment machine where it's mated for European road surface gradient. All the Euro marque SC uses the same KDS machine. You will notice your left and right camber degree with obvious difference and same for the toe degree. Do the alignment outside and your pulling left problem should be settled once and for all.

During our last visit to Wearnes, our OM here are offered special price for alignment service but I told them the settings are not suitable for our local roads. They ask me to provide my own preference settings and they can set the alignment to my preference.

any recommended dealer/SA. what is the waiting period for 520i/d ? thank you

F30;774452 said:

I've hears that Quill is good and Ingress not bad, but the general guidance seems to be to stay away from auto Bavaria. Anyway they seem to have stock of 520 so minimal waiting period unless your desired color combination is not available

Waiting period will depend on what the dealer has preordered.. Ab will definitely has shorter delivery time as the has more outlet and usually order more stock that they can shift around different outlets.. Small dealers like quill, ingress and wearns would not be able to take as much.. But quill and ingress is getting bigger, so stock level has risen for them..

Mine is from quill and I have to wait 1 month for my 520d..

ericyeoh;774716 said:
Waiting period will depend on what the dealer has preordered.. Ab will definitely has shorter delivery time as the has more outlet and usually order more stock that they can shift around different outlets.. Small dealers like quill, ingress and wearns would not be able to take as much.. But quill and ingress is getting bigger, so stock level has risen for them..

Mine is from quill and I have to wait 1 month for my 520d..
Eric - how has your experience been with Quill? I hear they give quite good service.

F30;774452 said:
If you want the F10 520i/d as soon as possible, probaby you should visit all the dealers around to see which one has an existing one in stock for you to pick it up immediately.

F30;774452 said:

I got mine from Ingress, service was incredible. I just went to AB to test out the car and then started searching around for the car/color availability since the salesperson was lembik and my experience with AB was not great in the past.

SinghisKing;774735 said:
Eric - how has your experience been with Quill? I hear they give quite good service.

Singhisking .. I had very good service from quill.. No complains...

I started this thread as I was keen on a BMW 520i but was concerned with reliability and maintenance issues because I want a fuss free experience for the next 4-5 years. Since then I have tested the Lexus GS 250 and the Infiniti M25 both of which are offering some decent deals. They are both nice in their own way but I'm still drawn to the 520i and I think BMW gives you more for the money. The 3 things that I don't like so much about the BMW are 2 year warranty only, RFTs replacement cost, and the fact that they seem to be various small problems that need servicing (reading the F30 forum is disheartening). Nevertheless I'm deciding to go for my first BMW as I like the design, comfort and power combination + it feels quite special to drive. Hopefully as the F10 has been out for a while the manufacturing QC is now mature.
I'm not in a hurry so am looking for the best deal as the year is coming to an end. Best offer now is 5% off but they will pre-reg my car. Any advice on can I get a better deal? Can I nego for a longer warranty period?
Thanks in advance.

SinghisKing;775387 said:
I started this thread as I was keen on a BMW 520i but was concerned with reliability and maintenance issues because I want a fuss free experience for the next 4-5 years. Since then I have tested the Lexus GS 250 and the Infiniti M25 both of which are offering some decent deals. They are both nice in their own way but I'm still drawn to the 520i and I think BMW gives you more for the money. The 3 things that I don't like so much about the BMW are 2 year warranty only, RFTs replacement cost, and the fact that they seem to be various small problems that need servicing (reading the F30 forum is disheartening). Nevertheless I'm deciding to go for my first BMW as I like the design, comfort and power combination + it feels quite special to drive. Hopefully as the F10 has been out for a while the manufacturing QC is now mature.
I'm not in a hurry so am looking for the best deal as the year is coming to an end. Best offer now is 5% off but they will pre-reg my car. Any advice on can I get a better deal? Can I nego for a longer warranty period?
Thanks in advance.

dun like RFT , buy non RFT like lexus and other, but theres a reason for RFT high speed and tyre burst does not goes together.

Singhisking.. I had also tested the gs250, Infiniti m25, e200 ans e250 and the Audi a6.. I find that the 5 series is a better drive than the rest.. But that to me is the most important.. And power .. That is also very important.. For me.. The Lexus, Infiniti and merc is totally out as all them are slower ... That only leave me with Audi and bmw..after driving both the cars back to back, I find that the bmw is a much better drive.. And also the cheapest .. For my 520d the best value..

SinghisKing;775387 said:
Thanks in advance.

I would recommend you the 520d.

ericyeoh;775611 said:
Singhisking.. I had also tested the gs250, Infiniti m25, e200 ans e250 and the Audi a6.. I find that the 5 series is a better drive than the rest.. But that to me is the most important.. And power .. That is also very important.. For me.. The Lexus, Infiniti and merc is totally out as all them are slower ... That only leave me with Audi and bmw..after driving both the cars back to back, I find that the bmw is a much better drive.. And also the cheapest .. For my 520d the best value..

I went through almost similar route as you did but we concluded that the A6 2.0T was the best among the lot. Unfortunately the price and package offered was just crap coupled with multiple past Audi ownership was just enough temptation to try a different marque. That was we ended with 520d which was 2nd but offered the best bang for buck.

Top Bottom