BMW 520i Engine Failure

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

peterthomas57

Hi there, I was wondering if I could get some advice on what to do. I own a 2012 BMW 520i .

My car is currently at Ingress Auto Damansara after sustaining a catastrophic engine failure and has been quoted a price of RM65K to repair it. The car has only 115000 KM in mileage and has been regularly serviced by ingress auto. They only change the synthetic engine oil every 30000 KM which causes sludge collection which subsequently causes wear and tear damage to the engine.

When I approached them, they claim verbally that the engine is only meant to last that long. However I believe that it is due to poor quality of the engine and poor servicing done by Ingress Auto.

I hope to get some expert opinion from the fellow forum members.

Thanks!

Other wear and tear parts are not affected, thus the car was not driven in a reckless manner.

this i think is due to the BSRI programme.synthetics requires change at every 10k kms.don't matter what the service centre or the car's service meter says.

to claim a bmw engine to be able to only last until 72k miles shows their mental state of irresponsibility.typical malaysian attitude.
the manufacturer would surely want to know why their engine failed at such low mileage.

i suggest you get a written report from ingress,putting in ink what they have verbally claimed and mail it to BMW Germany.

No matter what Ingress, Auto Bavaria or even Quill says... Engine oil MUST be changed at the interval of 10000km... plus minus 1000km la.. When I bought my E60 in 2008, I joined this forum and learned about this valuable piece of advise. Even the workshop that I sent my E60 regularly for servicing, M1 Motor Works in Kg Kayu Sg Ara PJ.. The advisor told me to change every 10000km as well. I'd seen a few BMW 7-Series E65/66 and E60 doing engine overhaul just because they changed oil every 25000km which caused sludge like dodol inside the engine area...
My advise? Exercise your right and option... Buat bising with Ingress auto and threaten to file formal complain to BMW Malaysia regarding this matter. Of course... If your car is still under warranty or else you might fail to open the case.
Good luck

Bro - Pls keep us posted the progress and outcome.
It's unacceptable to have an engine that can only last 115000KM and serviced the car as per onboard computer.

Sorry to hear your predicament. But I think write in formally to Germany should give you a fair explanation. I does not think BMW build an engine that can only last for 115k kms. Unbelievable.

Yeah, don't give up

Someone on the f30 Facebook group reported a drivetrain failure on his 2012 328i. Wearnes had wanted a 3k deposit for a full diagnosis with a potential bill of 60k for engine replacement since warranty had expired.

I think he and/or some members helped him to take the case with BMW and last week it was reported that BMW Malaysia had agreed to a full engine replacement FOC

So, I think BMW Malaysia is pretty reasonable and will consider all claims even after the warranty period on merit. An engine failure on one that has done only 115k km is definitely unacceptable

Hi PeterThomas,

My current unit shows 10,000 km as next service after my first service. I think they have changed it to a 10K interval. Read the oil sludge problem in one of the threads.... looked like the car had cholesterol in the engine.

Do keep us updated on your situation. I wish you all the best!

YF, diesels are serviced every 10-12k km intervals and that's official BMW. Only the petrols are given 20k intervals

Hi all,
I'm shocked when read this incident. Oil change every 30KM? I hope you keep your own record. What my dealer Regas Premium Auto always remind me, don't go beyond 10k as all the service data will be uploaded to BMW Global server. Really like to follow on your case for learning.

Mac.

Good day,

Thank you everyone for your kind words of support and advice. I heeded the tips given here and directly emailed BMW Germany with the details. A few days later I received an email that they will look into the matter. Yesterday I received a call from Ingress with some good news.
Will update this thread once It is confirmed.

Thanks!

Hi Peter,

Better keep that email address in case other owners also need to write directly.

peterthomas57 said:
Good day,

Thank you everyone for your kind words of support and advice. I heeded the tips given here and directly emailed BMW Germany with the details. A few days later I received an email that they will look into the matter. Yesterday I received a call from Ingress with some good news.

Thanks!
So should we follow the onboard computer for servicing or regularly servicing the car at 10,000KM interval?

Lucas271 said:
So should we follow the onboard computer for servicing or regularly servicing the car at 10,000KM interval?
For petrol engines, always good practice to have an oil change every 10k km, from your own pocket though.

i came across another 520i at my mechanics place, engine gone case, also due to sludge problem. had to do full overhaul. 30k interval for oil change is madness!!!

How come it is 30k? BMW Malaysia cost cutting? I have e90, 2012, it's about every 12k. This will really make me think 100x before buying another BMW.

i think you can ask them to service every 10k, but you will have to pay yourself (if your car is under BSRI). the funniest thing i heard from AB is when i asked about changing ATF.......they made me think that i was mad to want to change the ATF :p

peterthomas57 said:
Good day,

Thanks!
Hi bro - Any update abt the engine repair progress?
Do they change a new one for you at F.O.C?

seriously peterthomas57....you actually drove your car for 30k kms without changing the oil? shld have log into our forum much earlier. we would tell you not to wait 30k

I am too amaze that some change oil at 30k. Perhaps an oversight. If I can advise members change at every 10k at reliable centers/workshops and discipline yourself to do it.. On top of that insist on good oil flush cleaners every time you change oil. My E60 has clock 260k km milage goes thru this routine diligently and the engine is still running strong today. I am making my F10 535i goint thru the same routine hoping it will last as long.

i have just had my engine oil change n did a reset of the next scedule oil chg due on d i drive.....crazee or what.....

Sent from my GT-I9070 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1427267741942.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1427267741942.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 52
  • uploadfromtaptalk1427267763572.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1427267763572.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 50
Top Bottom