best tyre size or brand?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

sgbuloh_e90

Club Guest
can anyone give me some advice on which tyre is optimal for e30s?thinking of going 205/55/15 from my 195/55/15 Hankook ones.(the hankook still has a lot of treads but very much on the noisy/non comfort, not much grip even when there's still 'bunga'"my budget is bout rm250 per piece, the cheaper the better. XDwhat do you guys think of Eagle F1's ? is there any prob running 205 size tyres ? or is 195 better for e30s?any other brands can be recommended.cheers.

thanks guys.
running 15" hankook v8 tyres ...
they're 'ok' . not the best of grip even though the treads are still bout80% .

how bout tyre profile ? 60?50? or 55?

i dont mind the tyres being bit on the fat side (tubby look) if it helps on the ride quality.
thanks.

55 - 60 series should be ok that way if u wan comfy ride.

u can also try to use Barum tires!!! hehe

If you were using 195/55-15 , and you increase width to 205, you might have to drop your sidewall ratio to 50.
Yes, the second number is a RATIO. Not height, not size.

Is not up to you to choose "60 or 55".
You need to keep the same diameter(or rotation), or as close as you can.

Read up. http://www.ama-cycle.org/roadride/tires.asp

Choosing wrong tires will messep up your speedometer since the rotation per minute at certain KM/H is no longer the same.
Different diameter will also affect your gear ratio, which could affect your power, and fuel mileage.

Smaller sidewall ratio always result in stiffer ride, since the room for "boucing" is less.
But stiffer sidewall will give you better respone when you change rotational direction (switching lane at high speed for example)

Another thing, changing tires from 195 to 205 DO NOT increase your contact patch.
Which mean, the surface area between tires and road remain the same! Which theorically, do not increase your "grip"

Why does an increase in width not translate to an increase in contact patch? I always thought the reason people like to run wider rear tires on their RWD bimmers is so they have more rear end grip exiting corners.

Good point from turbology.

Bro, u should talk to SEARCH Button. Here's the link posted years ago =)
Quoted from the post;

15" - optimum tyre size is 205/55/15 or the more common size of 195/60/15
16" - optimum tyre size would be 205/50/16

"Be aware that as you increase the contact patch, your consumtion will increase"

More results from the SEARCH results. Do share what tyres u picked ya.

thansk guys for ur tips ..all of you .

decided to go for 205/55/15 tyres for my next change of tyre .
i dont necessarily drive hard. even if some ppl here says that u have to drive the car hard (e30) to enjoy it.

maybe im just being too careful with the car.

evilnickwong;297960 said:
Why does an increase in width not translate to an increase in contact patch? I always thought the reason people like to run wider rear tires on their RWD bimmers is so they have more rear end grip exiting corners.

You are kinda right, and wrong.
Increase of width do not equal to increase in contact patch.

When load remain the same (weight of the car), and there is no change in the compound or rubber, it is inaccurate to assume that as the section width or tread width increases that the contact patch area also increases.
But what will change is the shape of the contact patch, becoming shorter in the longitudinal direction as the tire is made wider.

And when you change the shape of the contact patch, it effect the slip angle when cornering. With wider rear tires, slip angle is less so you get better "grips".
But not always wider is better. Since slip angle is less, is harder to steer.
Wider tires are more prone to hydroplane too since it need to dissipate more water at forward direction.

Ooh ok, didn't know that, I always assume getting wider tires = instant boost to grip! :D

I'm decided too because I'm thinking of either 205/45/16 or 225/40/16 tires for myself next. 205 much cheaper, but I THOUGHT that 225 will be grippier in the corners.

no no, i did NOT say wider tires do not help longititude traction.
Due to smaller slip angle, you are not able to slide as easy as thinner tires.
So wider tires help traction, but doesn't mean better grips (grips and tractions are kinda 2 different thing)

does anybody know the exact tyre size for an e30 coupe, 1987 model..im talking about when the car first roll out of the prodution line ...

turbology;299019 said:
(grips and tractions are kinda 2 different thing)

I'm interested to know the difference between these 2. Care to explain further? :love:

i think traction and grip same lah if you search in google "grip and traction same?"

Top Bottom