Best place for tyre and wheels balancing for our E90

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

FIRZ67

Club Guest
I have just change to new set of wheels and non RFT tires which is 18" type 193 m sport rim.Previously my ride runs on 17" wheels with RFT 225/45 tire.After changing to this new set,the car has a slight vibration when slow at 70-80 kmh and also at higher speed above 140 kmh.was it a normal effect when changing from RFT to non RFT due to the tires now are lighter than before or due to improper balancing.Need advise from all sifu here that has this experience changing from RFT to Non RFT.ThanksView attachment 8250View attachment 8251

check out Consistent Distinction at Taman Sri Manja off Old Klang Road (behind Heritage which is facing NPE)

PM me for more details

definitely wheel balancing/alignment issue. whether rft or non rft doesnt matter. there shouldnt be any vibration at all.

I also changed to a non-RFT a week ago. But the size (225/45/17) remain unchanged. 'Slight' vibration can feel on the steering around 80-90KM/H and speed above 160KM/H. It was just a normal off-wheel balancing. Since the vibration is only very 'slight', I will wait for a while for the tyres to 'settle down' before redo the balancing. Pls note that it was about zero vibration up to the speed of 215KM/H on my previous RFT. Never need to do any tyre balancing since day 1 i got the car until the end of life of the RFT, quite surprise me!
Do update us on your vibration issue after you have redo the balancing. Thanks.

I would really consider on-wheel balancing for the front tires. Been doing it for more than a year now on non rft and no vibrations.
danc

danc;401886 said:
I would really consider on-wheel balancing for the front tires. Been doing it for more than a year now on non rft and no vibrations.
danc

Bro, where do you do your on-wheel balancing?

It could be a tyre mounting issue. Get them to spin the wheel + tyre on their balancing machine and observe the highest point of the contact patch to see if the tyre "hops" while it spins.

If it does, its likely a tyre mounting issue likely caused by poor tyre mounting skills or bad outdated machinery to mount the tyres causing the vibrations and not a balancing or alignment issue.

for balancing and alignment stuff, I go to Manji Lai in Sunway. Pricey but good stuff.

Do you all suffer from bad inner wear on the rear tyres? My tyre shop told me that all the M-sport no such problem.. can it be the stiffer suspension?!

My E90 4-potter suffer serious rear tyre inner wear.. :(

Hi E46F,

I have experienced this tyre hop during my Perdana V6 times long time ago.But nowadays I quite confidence that the tyre mount machineries are getting better which could avoid this problems.Anyway do you have any recommended tire shop that expert to rectify whether the tire has this problem or not?

My rears are ok, it has always been my front tires, they always wear out faster on the outside. I heard it is normal but not sure.

danc;401947 said:
My rears are ok, it has always been my front tires, they always wear out faster on the outside. I heard it is normal but not sure.

don't think that is normal

Tyre wear should be even if your camber is correct. Just wondering whether you guys ever climb kerbs to park on the pavement. That's guaranteed to whack your alignment and camber. When I was driving 4x4s, I thought I could be a hero and climb anything. Well, this hero had to change his expensive chunky 4x4 tyres within 10k usage and learned his lesson fast! :p

FIRZ67;401944 said:
Hi E46F,

I have experienced this tyre hop during my Perdana V6 times long time ago.But nowadays I quite confidence that the tyre mount machineries are getting better which could avoid this problems.Anyway do you have any recommended tire shop that expert to rectify whether the tire has this problem or not?

Actually the most advanced tyre mounting machine for our cars can be found at Ingress, Sapura and Auto Bavaria as they are designed to mount stiffer RFT sidewall tyres gently on the wheel. But they also charge and arm and leg for balancing, tyre mounting and alignment. I still believe the best alignment guru + equipment for our E90 is in AB Segambut (skinny young tall chinese dude). Both me and JPB sent our cars there for alignment and it was amazing, first taking readings from the active steering angle sensors using the GT1, then ride heights, tyre pressures, etc before going into the standard, toe, camber, caster figures. At the end the guy removed the 2 front shocks and unlock the BMW camber pins so that he can properly adjust the camber on our cars. The total time taken for the alignment job was ~4hours and a few hundred ringgit. The car felt fantastic after that.

Lim Tayar in TDDI has pretty decent equipment and these were the guys who fixed my tyre hop issue on my E90. Previously the other tyreshop which mounted my PS2s really struggled to get them on with their machinery + long iron rod + brute force. resulting in the tyre hop. The tyre mounting machine in Lim Tayar TDDI was so much simpler and gentler.

affan66;401897 said:
for balancing and alignment stuff, I go to Manji Lai in Sunway. Pricey but good stuff.

yeap...he is one of the best around...

and for your information manji has invested on the RFT mounting machine which u can find in BMW service centre...

True as what you said E46F.The guy that fix my tyre really struggle to mount the tyre assisted by another 2 guy.I may need to visit Lim Tayar TTDI.Is the location just beside the petronas?

My RFT loose pressure indicator light up this morning and thru enuf, there is a small screw stucked. I sent the car to LIM Tyre TTDI and specifically told the tech over there that i don;t want a single scratch on the rim...

they took out the tyre and patch it from inside (they told me its stronger and last longer if patch from inside)

half an hour later the car was ready and they really took car of my rim...not a single scratch. They even put a rubber pad on the rim to protect it just incase.

i'm happy n satisfied with the service.

rm25 patch + rm10 balancing+rm5 tip to the meticulous technician

astroboy,
yes my rear tyres inner side wear out faster than the outside, because of the negative camber setting. Also, rear tyres wear out faster than front tyres for our rear wheel drive car. But I have swap my rears with the fronts when they tyres worn out about 50%.

Top Bottom