Auto Start function - jerky ride

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Simon_T72

Club Guest
Dear Sifus,Took the 1st drive yesterday wih family and unfortunately gone into a bad traffic near Festival Mall setapak area last night. Due to tortoise bumber to bumper movement, and somemore with the autostart function on, i find the car a bit jerky every time i release the brakes. Am not sure whether its advisable just to off the function or just leave it there. You know how KL traffic are sometime, not sure whats the effect in the long run, if this autostart [on n off] is used too regularly. Appreciate some pointers. TksST:burnout:

Long term effect? Besides the B&^%-ing you get from the missus every time the car jerks?

I would think just turn it off if it's annoying, no? Good thing they have an "Off" button as well. Imagine if it didn't!! :wink:

I for one hated the auto Stop-Start function (which is so unrefined compared to some cheaper Japanese marques) that I decided to turn it off permanently

You have to adapt your driving style to suit the ASS. For many this is really annoying and it is best to just switch it off if you are in traffic jam.

KL traffic can't use the auto start function ... one of my colleague had a problem with this function, when he reaches a traffic light, engine goes off ... than he tried to resume the car, the engine doesn't start ... no matter what method he tried, it fails.

Ends off ... he need to call towing service and there goes ........ stupid function

A friend told me to ask the SA about the AAS, what happen in the long run. At first the SA was hesitant to explain. Then after i insisted to know, she said depends on usage, it will affect the starter once your warranty end. And not cheap to get it fixed. Her last word "pandai pandai guna lorr"..

Simon_T72;839161 said:
A friend told me to ask the SA about the AAS, what happen in the long run. At first the SA was hesitant to explain. Then after i insisted to know, she said depends on usage, it will affect the starter once your warranty end. And not cheap to get it fixed. Her last word "pandai pandai guna lorr"..

Waa..like that, permanently disable the AAS is better in the long run. Isn't it called ASS (Auto Start/Stop)?? Nice acronym... hahaha

jz request the SA to recode it to 'last user setting' for free..
if u like the feature, jz leave it like that
if u dont like, press once to switch off and it will stay off forever until u press the button to turn on or change to 'eco pro' mode
|peace of mind|

I find the ASS annoying too. Have developed a habit of immediately switching it off the moment I start the car ie tekan dua kali, one to start and immediately another to kill the ASS...

AT-Sixx;839212 said:
I find the ASS annoying too. Have developed a habit of immediately switching it off the moment I start the car ie tekan dua kali, one to start and immediately another to kill the ASS...

Soon your ASS button may develop premature ageing.

this ASS is not just annoying.. but also.. cannot be good for the battery and the starter....

i would have prefer if the stopping is after .. lets say 4-5 sec of stationary onbrakes instead of within 1 second.

I had the 328. My wife hated the ASS function. It just shook the car too much. I got used to it.
Strangely enough, when I changed my car to a 6 cylinder model, the ASS was a lot more refined.
Must just be the way the 4 cylinder is that makes it very noticeable

Ebby ... Not because 4 cylinder, my CRZ system is smooth. I was most surprised to see how the engine shakes when the ASS restarts the car. The car starts fine when you begin your journey but the ASS is an ass la.

Merc's ECO Start Stop tech data :
"How the ECO start/stop system works in detail: as a general principle, the engine is switched off every time the vehicle comes to a standstill (auto-stop function. Restarting the engine (auto-starting function) takes place almost imperceptibly; and moving off without any noticeable time lag compared to a stationary vehicle with its engine running. This rapid action is attributable to two special features: a crankshaft Hall sensor which is able to identify the rotational direction of the crankshaft enables the engine control unit to identify the cylinder in which the piston is ideally positioned for starting. The fuel is injected into this cylinder first, thereby speeding up the starting process. An additional electric transmission oil pump supplies the clutches of the automatic transmission with oil pressure prior to starting, so as to enable a swift resumption of the journey after direct starting of the combustion engine via the ECO start/stop function"

..key word "imperceptibly", not the "jolt thru the rear" experience i guess most of us F30 owners have with the ASS..
What an ASS...

Vin75 ... So it looks like BMW software or sensors for ASS is really an ass la. Sad la.

tIANcI;839431 said:
Vin75 ... So it looks like BMW software or sensors for ASS is really an ass la. Sad la.

Exactly...and i wonder how this ASS managed to get through Munich's QC..

vin75;839432 said:
Exactly...and i wonder how this ASS managed to get through Munich's QC..

Funny is before the F30 arrived, the reviewers only said the ASS was not nice. They never saying in detailed why. The bias ... Munich does not care la. Only take the money.

I found the ASS function is really troublesome and annoying - how much fuel can be saved anyway in 3mins? - i turned it off almost all the time.

BTW, how to turn it of permanently?

splee;839290 said:
Soon your ASS button may develop premature ageing.

either the ass button fails or the battery / starter fails - if/when the ass button koyak, i'll get SA to fix the stupid thing ie override *sigh*

Top Bottom