Auto Gearbox Overhaul for E34

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
Got back my car this evening.

Overall, the car is more responsive.
But with this Jatco gearbox I can feel the Gear change compared to my previous GM gearbox which was very smooth.

This Jatco gear change feel a lot similar to Japanese car gear change ....not sure is it because of the gear ratio as it has 5 speed.

But overall I love it because pickup is a lot more faster compared to last time. :p

I will be listing down my items and costing later ...........

According to the Boss, there is one more Jatco gearbox , ecu, wiring, long shaft in his shop from the half-cut body waiting for e34 owner........ :wink:

Not sure if I am suppose to put the pricing here .....

Jatco automatic gearbox RM3000
6 litres of automatic transmission oil RM 144.00
Fly wheel oil seal RM 87.00
4 pcs automatic hose clip RM 40.00
3 pcs meter bulb RM 15.00
2 pcs air cond control panel bulb RM 30.00
rear exhaust silencer RM 250.00
gear knob bush RM 20.00

After seeking a sifu to test drive my car, finally comfirm my 1st to 2nd gear is jerky.

So informed the mechanic, and the boss of the workshop insisted to change the automatic transmission oil first.

If it is no more jerky, then I will have to pay the cost of the trans oil. If still jerky, then I don't have to pay and the boss will change the gearbox for me. One to one replacement.

Really hope the problem will be solved immediately.

Albert,

Thats all u did to change yr GB from ZF (i presume) to Jatco??

Did u not get the harness, wiring, ECU, long shaft??? Also, was the box re-built, or just a second hand potong unit??

I am doing up my GB too, had my GB taken apart to be re-built but the 2nd gear housing was cracked, and cant find the replacement. Thus, had to buy a re-built ZF gearbox to replace it.

So, i am wondering on yr change from german to Jatco boxes, and how did u do it if u did do other mods to yr GB wiring and other stuff??

Thnx for telling.

Long shaft, ECU, wirings and everything are inclusive in his package.

Used JATCO trannys are available cheaply in many chop shops, no point rebuilding one when it only cost RM1k at most!

Originally posted by ALBundy@Mar 29 2006, 02:05 PM
Long shaft, ECU, wirings and everything are inclusive in his package.

Used JATCO trannys are available cheaply in many chop shops, no point rebuilding one when it only cost RM1k at most!
OIC.... thnx for pointing it out...

I was wondering how he did it without the LS, wiring and ECU....

Yah.... i agree that Jatco potong boxes are cheap and plenty.....

But how does a Jatco box measure up to the ZF?? Jatco is 5speed whereas ZF is 4 speed..... so 5speed allows for better pick up due to the shorter ratios??

And have always wondered, how come Jatco boxes are that much cheaper??

Thnx in advance for any input.

Theoretically you should get better acceleration and better fuel economy, not forgetting a 5 speed tranny is more hardy.

The reason why its cheap is simply boils down to supply and demand. Basically not many folks here are using Jatco trannys and hence not many are looking for replacements, so the valuable items from all those half cuts sourced from Japan is mainly the engine+ECU+wirings. Trannys are usually chucked one side and sometimes sell as besi buruk :D

Originally posted by ALBundy@Mar 29 2006, 03:02 PM
Theoretically you should get better acceleration and better fuel economy, not forgetting a 5 speed tranny is more hardy.

The reason why its cheap is simply boils down to supply and demand. Basically not many folks here are using Jatco trannys and hence not many are looking for replacements, so the valuable items from all those half cuts sourced from Japan is mainly the engine+ECU+wirings. Trannys are usually chucked one side and sometimes sell as besi buruk :D
Hmm..... but how come a 5 speed is more hardy???

Now for a silly question. If most Jatco boxes are potong leftovers, how reliable are the boxes?? And since they are not so in demand, does it not mean that re-building a Jatco box is cheaper, since parts are not so in demand??

My point of view, while getting a rebuilt box is in the region of RM4Kish is more expensive than a Jatco box (4times), dont the risk factor of getting a potong Jatco box breaking down more often be more a hassle??

I hv no experience with Jatco, thus the many questions.

Al, is yrs a Jatco too?? Hows the Redline oils doing, as good??

Ya.... its the age old question.... to each his own idea, i suppose, to what he chooses.....

I took the rebuild route..... and when that failed.... i had to buy a rebuild GB.... my existing box is an E36 328 box....

errr.... is the Redline high temp oil meant for the GB?? where can i land some, and how much they cost for my GB, thats 6 liters right??

My mech is putting up the box tomolo..... may want him to use the Redline....

Thnx.

Originally posted by 5201@Mar 29 2006, 06:00 PM

errr.... is the Redline high temp oil meant for the GB?? where can i land some, and how much they cost for my GB, thats 6 liters right??
If I'm not mistaken, C.Tan has some... drop him a line.

Got mine from Calvin Tan. You could also try the D4 synthetic, but since our climate is unkind to auto transmission, decided to go with the High Temp.

When my tranny was rebuilt, 10.5 liters were used.

OK... coolz.....

But mine will be a rebuilt E34 ZF 4 speed.... can use arr???

Maybe you should try the D4 synthetic ATF. Its the more popular oil, I was told. Anyway it still offers better thermal protection that other oils in the market, as claimed by Redline. :)

Originally posted by ALBundy@Mar 29 2006, 05:10 AM
Maybe you should try the D4 synthetic ATF. Its the more popular oil, I was told. Anyway it still offers better thermal protection that other oils in the market, as claimed by Redline. :)
Al,
The D4 synthetic is also Redline, right? Just wondering...with its better thermal protection, perhaps it makes good sense to replace the existing ATF oil in a working ZF 4-speed for better performance. Or "don't fix it if it ain't broken"? Thanks.

Originally posted by 5201@Mar 29 2006, 05:07 AM
OK... coolz.....

But mine will be a rebuilt E34 ZF 4 speed.... can use arr???
Good luck on your rebuild. Do let us know how it turns out. Cheers. Faiz

Originally posted by ALBundy@Mar 29 2006, 06:10 PM
Ya... thnx for the advice....

This is what i'll do.... use normal BMW oil for now.... as the box will be under warranty for 3 months..... if its ok within this, will change to the D4, or High Temp during the next oil change....

This way, if the box "kongs" out within the warranty period.... no need to buy more of the expensive stuff ma.....

Top Bottom