Anyone using Castrol Edge Sport 0w40

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Spaceman

Club Guest
Time to change the oil, anyone using this new oil from Castrol? Website says it is BMW LL-04 compliant. Can trust or not? But most of our BMW dealers are using 5w30/ 0w30 and not 40wt. So how?

Pakai la! If u ask SC, they sure ask u to return to SC.

xW-40 is actually thicker than xW-30.. :p (I scared also.. ) 0W-30 is the best! :top:

Coincidentally, I was all over Castrol Malaysia website and couldn't find an email contact for me to submit some technical questions about suitability of the various ATF grades for my other car.. I actually bought a bottle of their TQ-D ATF for my Volvo 940 (which specified Dexron IID/IIE) but now having second thoughts.. :(

How to use their product la like that? The website only guide u to their dealers.. so whatever the dealer say is correct la?!

Don't understand how these people do business.. :stupid:

in fact i called up the Castrol Hotline, i asked if 0w30 is available and they replied yes. then i carried on to ask which product range eg. Edge, Powerflow etc... she said is 'Edge' and told me to contact the nearest sparepart shop. ahh...i dont think sparepart shop knows anything about 0w30 oil since its not cheap oil and they wont have the relevant experience and technical knowledge to tell me...

t2ribena is running Castrol SLX 0W-30 bought from Tan Cheong SC. According to Castrol Malaysia, only Tan Cheong SC sells the 0W-30 Castrol SLX pack. But there's no BMW-LL rating on the label.. :(

Oh well! even the heavily advertised 0W-40 is rare among the spare part shops. Too expensive for them to stock... 4 packs is more than RM1k !! :eek: Siapa mau jual?!

Check with ALBundy. I believe he's using the Castrol Edge Sport 0W40.

The viscosity rating is only 1 of the ratings of a lub oil. There would be differences in other important ratings between BMW LL-01 (2001 spec) and LL-04 (2004 spec) Neither does a later spec automatically mean it's better for your car. The safest is to use the BMW LL-xx recommended for your car per the manual because its engine was designed for that oil spec.

i read somewhere in the BMW TIS that the LL-04 is not recommended for cars in country where the fuel has high sulfur contents...since we have no idea on own fuel sulfur contents i think we shud stick to LL01/01FE...but since castrol intro this oil into our market then they shud know more about this so in this case we can use lo...alamak confuse liau...

Is it so t2ribena? I thought LL-04 was introduced for engines with particulate filters or something like that. I remember that it's not recommended for some BMW models, can't remember which though.

Anyway, since when would an importer here care - if they can advertise and sell it, they'll bring it in. Makes one wonder why it's still LL-01 in Singapore doesn't it? ;)

forgot to mentioned is that the LL-04 is more of a diesel engine oil grade classification but newer petrol engine also can use...the M54 engine is not recommended to use the LL-04/LL-01FE...only up to LL-01...this info is in the TIS

Yes genius! I remember now...for post-2004 diesels with diesel particulate filters. So your sulfur content caveat would also match that, as our diesel is high sulfur. I'm sure we can use it in our E90s with N engines, but I'll stick to LL-01 thank you. :)

Just flipped through the E90 User Manual looking for engine oil...ahh i found the manual says LL-98, LL-01 & LL-04 can be used. but didnt specifically state which grade (eg 5w30...) is needed to run.

dont worry, i'll go castrol dealer to take a closer look if there's BMW LL-04 on the label tomorrow.

This is from Castrol MALAYSIA website: http://www.castrol.com/castrol/sectiongenericarticle.do?categoryId=82914627&contentId=7049418

Castrol Edge Sport 0W-40

pco_edge_sport_0W40_malaysia_375x253.jpg

FOR HIGHLY STRESSED AND COMPETITIVE ENGINE, AND FOR PRESTIGE AND HIGH PERFORMANCE VEHICLES
(Castrol’s best fully synthetic oil just got better)

This is Castrol’s best , fully synthetic, low viscosity technology. Our R&D on this product represents the best of both worlds with race track and in-test programmes combined with everyday driving applications. Castrol Edge Sport 0W-40 has been engineered to meet the toughest industry standards and specifications across all critical engine factors.

Benefits
Fully synthetic engine oil formulation that is specifically formulated to:
• deliver maximum horsepower up to 45% longer against other full synthetics*
• pass the demanding MIII FE European fuel economy test**
• protect under extreme temperatures
• exceed high performance standards set by premium car manufacturers
• deliver superior thermal stability in turbo diesel engines, ensuring minimal internal deposits for cleaner internals
• flow freely to critical areas requiring protection, especially when cold

Applications
New Castrol EDGE Sport 0W-40 is suitable for a wide range of modern passenger cars and passenger, light duty diesel engine’s vehicles. New Castrol EDGE Sport 0W-40 is suitable for Euro 4 or green engines fitted with or without diesel particulate filters.

Performance Levels
• EXCEEDS API SM/CF
• SAE 0W-40
• ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4, C2, C3;
• Approved for VW 502 00/ 503 01/ 505 00; MB-APPROVAL 229.31/ 229.51;
PORSCHE approved, all PORSCHE vehicles except Cayenne (V6); BMW Longlife-04 (refer to vehicle manual);
• PASSES MIII FE FUEL ECONOMY TEST**.

* THIS DATA SHEET DOES NOT CONSTITUTE A CONTRACT IN TERMS OF PROPERTIES

Spaceman;412810 said:
Just flipped through the E90 User Manual looking for engine oil...ahh i found the manual says LL-98, LL-01 & LL-04 can be used. but didnt specifically state which grade (eg 5w30...) is needed to run. ...

No car user manual tells u what single oil grade to use because it depends on climate on the country where the car is being used.

This oil chart is standard:
oil-chart.gif

... and check this out!
BMWTISOilQuality.jpg

BMWTISOilViscosityGrades.jpg

BMWTISLonglife-01.jpg

BMWTISLonglife-98_1.jpg

BMWTISLonglife-98_2.jpg

BMWTISLonglife-98_3.jpg

BMWTISSpecialOils_1.jpg

BMWTISSpecialOils_2.jpg

BMWTISSpecialOils_3.jpg

BMWTISACEAOilSpecs.jpg

Whoa! Oil guru astroboy! :eek: Thanks for all that. Very interesting info, especially the Specified Oils for BMW Group Engines table. :top:

Hahaha.... actually there's a conclusion to all these.. by the original poster to the above data and it goes like this:

Conclusions

Some people make it out or think that you need some special unobtainum oil for these "super sports car engines". When in fact there is nothing particularly special at all, as long as you stick with the factory recommendations you'll be fine (under normal operating conditions).

Your first stop for oil selection should be your manual, it specifically lists oil type and weights... even has the oil grade chart as well. If you would like to stray away from those numbers, look at the info presented and make a educated selection.

Basically any quality brand oil, with grades ranging from 0-15W-30-40 will work and not ruin our engine. Out of those, local conditions and driving style will dictate specifics of those oils.

Most important I would say, no matter what oil you choose is change it often. My personal recommendation is: for mineral oils - every ~3K miles and synthetic every ~6K minimum (with an oil filter change @ 3K). These recommendations are conservative, but oil is "cheap" compared to the cost of an engine. If you want to be more "scientific" you can send your used oil to be tested, like Blackstone Labs, and they'll let you know if running the oil for longer service intervals is fine.

Source: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1003372

Thanks again for pointing us to that thread astro. :top: Just want to clarify part of his conclusion for the benefit of all. This poster is an American (Shelton CT), and in the US, a semi-synthetic is called a synthetic. So the ~6k change he recommends is for semi-synths, not fully-synths. Changing a fully-syth at 6k is a total waste of the earth's precious resources.

It was Castrol USA that fought Mobil USA for the right to call a semi-synth a synthetic in a landmark arbitration case BTW.

6k alright ma ... x1.6 = 9,600km.. sounds about right wor.. :p only the 3k (4.5km) oil filter change interval sounds a bit too soon..

latest update:
i just got to know a 'new' friend who works in Castrol Malaysia (Premier Lubricant). I asked him to bring 2 bottles of 0w30 to let me have a look if there's anything like BMW LL-01/04 on the label.

Top Bottom