Anyone mod the ICE in E60?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
The installation of ICE into my E60 starts today, will keep a logging of pictures and short write-up of the installation so other E60ers would be able to refer :)

Objectives:
- Remain stock looking
- No wire cutting and utilize all existing speaker wiring
- Able to reverse the installation neatly

Equipments:
OEM wiring harness, BMW connectors
Jehnert Flatline 3-Way speakers
Add a centre channel for Logic7
JBL MS-8 processor
6 channel amp + a monoblock
Reasonable soundproofing

Sent from my XT910 using Tapatalk 2

Hi Bro,

I have a Focal Access 100CA1 which you can use as the center channel. E6x owners with Logic 7 replace their stock center channel with this since it produces better vocal & midrange tones then the original L7 center channel.

http://www.bmwclubmalaysia.com/foru...100CA1-Center-Channel-Speaker-4-quot-for-Sale

It's brand new & unused.
Let me know if you're interested. ;)

creed;761969 said:
The installation of ICE into my E60 starts today, will keep a logging of pictures and short write-up of the installation so other E60ers would be able to refer :)

Objectives:
- Remain stock looking
- No wire cutting and utilize all existing speaker wiring
- Able to reverse the installation neatly

Equipments:
OEM wiring harness, BMW connectors
Jehnert Flatline 3-Way speakers
Add a centre channel for Logic7
JBL MS-8 processor
6 channel amp + a monoblock
Reasonable soundproofing

Hi princevick,
I have got the Morel as a centre speaker :D thanks for ur offer

Guys,
The installation of the upgraded audio done as of Friday (3rd August 2012), as of the state I'm very happy with the outcome with just a brief calibration through the JBL MS-8 processor; still getting used to the Logic7 sound as there is a new center speaker installed on top of my dash. I guess for the upcoming weekend I'll just be calibrating/tuning the car to get it sounds better :)

The Jehnert fits perfectly and it is an immediate upgrade of the existing stock speakers, the Technic's harness is great and make things a lot simpler, the soundproofing material did wonders especially the one that applied on the wheel arch. The road noise been cutting down by quite a number.

I'll starts posting pictures on the upcoming threads :)

Before the installation, a group photos of the equipment on my house :)

View attachment 25846View attachment 25847

A closer capture of the Jehnert Flatline for BMW 1/3/5 series
View attachment 25848

Prior to the installation, I too went through quite a number of forums that particularly discuss about audio system upgrade in BMW; I believed if given me myself a good week with some help of a good friend; I actually could pull this off myself; at the same times I'll prefer I can get a place with all the relevant tools and required accessories to make this install a more proper one, hence I went to one of the installer that I couldn't say any more of good things; a very nice guy; took enough trouble to go through your plan together and his workmanship is impeccable; very very happy with how they handled my car and those tiny weeny bit did reflect he is doing the right things to keep customer like me satisfy.

Day 1 (1st August 2012)
- Arrived the shop early and went for breakfast; tabulates all the items on the desks for a clearer view of what goes in and out :)
View attachment 25849

- Chong is checking and marking on all items prior of the installation
View attachment 25850

- Things are properly marked and laid on desk ready for the installation
View attachment 25851

- Installation about to start
View attachment 25852

- Rear seat detached :)
View attachment 25853

- I too helping around by dismantling something which is easier and I could assist, the original rear speaker of E60
View attachment 25854

- Front seat out and immediately covered and put at side, door panel out and hang on wall
View attachment 25855View attachment 25856

- I went ahead and dismantling the factory 8'' mid woofer underneath the seat
View attachment 25857View attachment 25858

- A test fit of the Jehnert 8'' woofer on the stock enclosure, fits perfects :p
View attachment 25859

- Attaching the Technic's harness to get the speaker-level output and input via original BMW speakers wiring
Note: I kinda like this as there isn't any wire cutting and it's totally reversible in future without leaving mark :p
View attachment 25862

- Center Speaker testing in the dash, fits nicely
View attachment 25863

- Preparing the Jehnert 8'' underseat with original BMW connector
View attachment 25864

- Installing the Jehnert 8'' with enclosure dampened
View attachment 25868View attachment 25869View attachment 25870View attachment 25871

- Door sound-dampening; using STP Bomb + 3M Thinsulate material in panel
View attachment 25865View attachment 25866View attachment 25867

- Cable preparation: High-Level output from BMW factory radio; speaker level output back via original BMW speaker wire
View attachment 25872

- Soldering the original radio output to JBL MS-8 input via the Technic's harness
View attachment 25873

- All cabling ready; times to rest for today and continue tomorrow
View attachment 25874View attachment 25875

During the 1st day there was a few hours I wasn't around with the installation due to some other urgent matters. I did request some of the photos to be taken so I do not miss some parts of it :)

Day 2 (2nd August 2012)
Since I wanted an almost stealth install; been discussing to get the amp rack done in a well thought out areas which wouldn't be obstructive for the boot; so hanging the rack on top might be a viable idea; and by referring to some other install done at oversea 5 series forum I decided to go ahead.

- Preparing the amp rack by soldering the iron bar
View attachment 25876

- Bracing on the body and test fitting
View attachment 25877View attachment 25878View attachment 25879View attachment 25880View attachment 25881

- Since the idea must support ease of access for future adjustment; a hinge would be installed so the hanging-rack can be dropped down for servicing and provide adjustment of the audio equipment with ease
View attachment 25882View attachment 25883View attachment 25884

- Amp rack done and fitting of equipment commences :), all fits nicely and matched to the drilled hole precisely
View attachment 25885View attachment 25886View attachment 25887View attachment 25888

- After power connected and rack all done; practically called it a day for works and tuning started; I thoroughly enjoy the processes throughout and I enjoy sweat myself and joining in for the installation, exchanging ideas and learning from the sifus :)
View attachment 25889

Apart from the last picture shown on the boot with a subwoofer; all my interior stays as original as it gets; no one actually noticed its been tampered with; guys handled my car like their own and I sincerely very happy with the installation; the tuning might takes quite some times as I've been experiencing with difference setting and setup.

The brief calibration already brings tonnes and tonnes of improvement compare to the stock; am not aiming for the star but at least I felt all things are well installed and I particularly like it stays the stock look.

Wife noticed the differences immediately she stepped in the car and commented it sounded a lot nicer...that's some compliment from my home minister.

Wow very nice and tempting!

Mod I've requested this thread to be sticky! good reference for E60 ICE.....

"the soundproofing material did wonders especially the one that applied on the wheel arch. The road noise been cutting down by quite a number" - creed

bro do you have any photos on the soundproofing applied onto the wheel arches? tks

just got these fitted under my seat...it's from my previous e60...it's a pair of Earthquake SWS-8...deeper bass compared to the stocks which is flat...

must say that nowadays the passion to DIY not very strong liau... :( actually wanted to drive these from the Alpine Amplifier which is the same setup I had in the previous e60 but so lazy to do the battery, grounding, signal connections and fittings...

on my previous e60, I had the M-ASK system without Amp in stock, I just change the speakers to Kenwood component driving it from the M-ASK itself and for the SWS-8 woofer, it is driven by the Alpine Amp. Also added tweeter to the rear...all this is at least 100% nicer to the ori setup with minimal modification and DIYed...

IMG_1428.jpg

Yeap, the SWS is nice enough actually, but the SWS doesn't come cheap; one of my friend paid close to RM1800 shipped from US; of course the items kena stuck at custom and need to pay for 25% tax as usual. The RM1.8k are incl. of all; shipping, price of the SWS in pair; and also the 25% custom fees.

I've heard it pushing by a small JL Audio amp; nice

got mine shipped from US for USD700 new and the customs officer was nice enough to release it with rm100 tax...ur fren got a better price...

the stock individual audio amplifier has got no juice on low volume but at high volume the sound is just nice...i should find sometime to fit in the amp as im not a fan of loud music...like it soft but rich...this despite the fact that the individual audio option is a more expensive option than the logic7 but the logic7 sounds much much better in low volume sound quality than the individual...but at high volume logic7 not nice...

creed;763022 said:
Yeap, the SWS is nice enough actually, but the SWS doesn't come cheap; one of my friend paid close to RM1800 shipped from US; of course the items kena stuck at custom and need to pay for 25% tax as usual. The RM1.8k are incl. of all; shipping, price of the SWS in pair; and also the 25% custom fees.

I've heard it pushing by a small JL Audio amp; nice

Am not sure where my friend bought it from though, after that the fitting there was some issue and he have to get a spacer made for BMW that costs USD70 shipped, coz the SWS required a spacer to fit into the weird shape of the enclosure :rolleyes:

Bro creed.. nice job . Simple and neat without disturbing the system . Mind sharing where u did this . Maybe wana tiru ur style too. :) tq

Top Bottom