Alternative to E30 M40 in-tank fuel pump

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
This is for those with itchy backside, I have called one of the aftermarket parts suppliers and asked about aftermarket performance fuel pumps. Apparently the only brand sold here is Walbro... Cost about RM400.... This is just for the pump... As comparison, a stock wira fuel pump is less than RM200.

This is for those adventurous ones upgrading the engine power.... or those with an itch somewhere hard to reach needing an aftermarket fuel pump to scratch... :)

wow Fabian, the last post before this was in 2005. Thanks anyway for the latest info

Time flies doesn't it.... Anyway, just for everyone's info on the performance fuel pump..

Wads the pump/flow rate for the wira 1.8 fuel pump as compared to the original E30 one ?

jumpman;475647 said:
Wads the pump/flow rate for the wira 1.8 fuel pump as compared to the original E30 one ?

Didn't research on that... but both 1.8 so I reckoned the flow rate is more than sufficient... It works well...

alright..cos i was told by a mech that the e30 fuel pump has a higher flow rate..anyways, will probably go for the wira fuel pump as it's a better alternative and mine needs replacing.

my engine went lean (bone dry spark plug)when i had a jap pump from a toyota last time.....eventually changed to a BMW pump!

jumpman;475662 said:
alright..cos i was told by a mech that the e30 fuel pump has a higher flow rate..anyways, will probably go for the wira fuel pump as it's a better alternative and mine needs replacing.

You want higher flow...go for VR4 fuel pump...m40 engine enough with wira 1.6 fuel pump..

I see...I just want to know if the flow rate vary a lot or not...if like Fabian says works on his M42 well then i guess it shud work well on my M40 as im also using a jap fuel pump, which is now beginning to fail me.

my m40 using wira 1.8 fuel pump so many years already. no prob so far.

well..i've been using jap fuel pump(not sure if it belonged to wad car and all)..and i noticed that the car will fuel cut at like 5K in certain gears..so i reckon that the fuel pump's flow rate is not able to comply with the rev?that's why i wanna compare it with the original e30 f.pump.

Bros, just wondering wether the petrol will erode the cable ties? My pump just kaputz this morning.. huhu

Also.. this thread has survived 5 years! hehe

renzs;482463 said:
Bros, just wondering wether the petrol will erode the cable ties? My pump just kaputz this morning.. huhu

No, it will not erode the cable ties. Mine installed on 20/10/2005 (YES, almost 5 years) and still kicking good

renzs;482463 said:

So far no issues with the petrol eating the cable ties. Then again, there are now tonnes of cheap china made cable ties with questionable quality... The good branded cable ties should do the job..

sorry for reviving this thread back, this morning my car cannot start after few cranking, suspect fuel pump. Im using the m40 internal fuel pump and was wondering if the wira fuel pump is enough for my m50b25? Or should i find jap fuel pump? I just cant justify the price of a brand new M40 fuel pump...

thank you

Chris

if the M40 fuel pump works for the M50, then the wira 1.8 fuel pump shud work as well...
Alternatively, u can get the Walbro performance fuel pump which cost about RM400, maybe more now...

i heard from others that the m40 fuel pump can be use for m50 but its insufficient ? so if insufficient, i'll be starving the engine and wont get full power?

Chris

chriseunos;506473 said:
i heard from others that the m40 fuel pump can be use for m50 but its insufficient ? so if insufficient, i'll be starving the engine and wont get full power?

Chris

Use VR4 fuel pump then...

chriseunos;506449 said:
sorry for reviving this thread back, this morning my car cannot start after few cranking, suspect fuel pump. Im using the m40 internal fuel pump and was wondering if the wira fuel pump is enough for my m50b25? Or should i find jap fuel pump? I just cant justify the price of a brand new M40 fuel pump...

thank you

Chris

bro, check also your fuel pump relay and ignition sensor. the same thing happened to me recently......... and the culprit was ignition sensor.the damage was rm 450...part n labour.

p/s: my ride E30 M40 1.8L ( M )

How to check if the fuel pump is faulty?not others like relay or something?

Top Bottom