Alternative to E30 M40 in-tank fuel pump

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

fabianyee

Founding Member
my fuel pump died on me this morning... engine can crank but cannot start...Called up Bav Auto and was quoted RM750 for a new fuel pump....Fortunately, a forummer called me up and i told him about the fuel pump and he immediately told me that the mechanic who did my M42 conversion have changed the M40 fuel pump with the one from a Wira 1.8.... So disassembled the fuel pump myself and brought it over for him to do his thang.... brought it back and then put it back and vroooom vroooom.... hehehehhehe... Total cost RM220.... for a new fuel pump.... Malaysia Boleh....Will post photo later... got to shower... ;)

Yes, I was told the same thing by a mechanic. Jap pumps can be customised to use in BMW. In fact, they may be made by the same company with the same specifcations except for the brackets!

Originally posted by fabianyee@May 3 2005, 03:20 PM
my fuel pump died on me this morning... engine can crank but cannot start...

Called up Bav Auto and was quoted RM750 for a new fuel pump....

Fortunately, a forummer called me up and i told him about the fuel pump and he immediately told me that the mechanic who did my M42 conversion have changed the M40 fuel pump with the one from a Wira 1.8....

So disassembled the fuel pump myself and brought it over for him to do his thang....

brought it back and then put it back and vroooom vroooom.... hehehehhehe... Total cost RM220.... for a new fuel pump....
Malaysia Boleh....

Will post photo later... got to shower... ;)
:yahoo: yes fabian I did change mind about two yrs back its about that price for m40 that time so smart got back to ori did'nt know can use others, I myself don't know how you install it If I am not wrong its mounted in the tank is it? please advise so as next time easy. at TT if I meet you.
Thanks

Originally posted by Daredevil@May 3 2005, 05:22 PM
Wonder if E36 can also do a 'malaysia boleh'.....hmmm.....
How I wish... sudah pokai liao. :(

Damn ! Wish I knew this 3 weeks ago when mine kaput. Got a new ori one which cost a bomb. Anyway now that Fab has shown the way, it's a good lesson for rest of the e30 M40 owners in future.

DD,
I think the e36 318i fuel pump is half the price of the e30 one - almost same as the "Malaysia Boleh" version, so might as well go ori.

The part shop did say the E30 M40 fuel pump is the most expensive among the BMW fuel pumps......

BTW, the car more powderful now with the fuel pump... torqueier and pulls better.... :D

how to open??? easy.... need to unscrewed the panel underneath the rear seat... 4 screws only... then remove the fuel gauge sensor... 4 nuts only.... remove the 2 hoses
Then twist the top bracket... voila... but have to manuveur the brackets to squeeze thru the opening....

the wira fuel pump after being retrofitted onto the ori bracket....

in the haste to get it done, I didn't take the 'before' photo....

PICT4964.jpg

Originally posted by fabianyee@May 4 2005, 12:53 AM
BTW, the car more powderful now with the fuel pump... torqueier and pulls better.... :D

Since u said that now its better, obviously there were symptoms before the pump went kaput. What was it like?

Originally posted by rezzy3181@May 4 2005, 04:11 AM
Fabian dose it cover the hole gumm gumm with wira 1.8 pump?
I only change the motor.... the bracket is still the original one... understand ah????

:cry: how is it now? since you say its going slow since no body ask please let me know the progress on......

no problem watsoever....
a pump is a pump... it PUMPS... so am not expecting any problem with it... It shouldn't...

What about m20 b20 engine...is the wira thingy works as well??
theres some werd sounds of lately comming from the rear seat...buzz..
buzzz...especially when about to crank... whats that?

M20 uses external fuel pump... external, i think, even easier to fit aftermarket fuel pump...

ah now i get the pictures...
got zip ties there?

Yeah that's the same intank pump on my M3...NOT cheap...but funny thing, the external pump cost MORE!!!

Intank = US$100
External = US$160

I just checked my parts guide, and it does list an intank pump for the E30 325. On a couple of newer e30s, the intank pump was real expensive = US$180

So maybe all E30s have the intank pump...and the E36 up only had the external pump.

If its not going bad...then u dont need to worry about it.
If you have fuel issues, then put a screwdriver on the pump and try to feel/listen when u turn on the car.

Franklin

Anyone tried using other external pumps for m20. Fabian, can proton wira pump be retrofitted to fit e30 external type. Also read somewhere that merc pump an also be used, Kinaka any comments

Top Bottom