AFM Service

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
Wah, baiyee u r good maintenance guy la.
for me, i do preventive action every 2 weeks use clean tissue wetted with WD40 and wipe the inner front side of AFM (of course hv to remove mushroom filter first). u can see fine gray/black dust on tissue.
after that life go on ............ :D

It the mechanic dream thing to have... :yes!:

Yes, it a can of pressurise lubricant. The can is yellow and white in colour. You can get it in any hardware shop. WD-40 can be used as a penetrant oil. When you have a bolt that is hard to remove, you can spray wd-40 on it and leave it for a minute. it will help to loosen the bolt. It also can be used for moisture repelant. I used it to spray on HT cable in cold weather to help me start the car..

yes it a wonder liquid.. equivalent is crc-90 or something like that.. :yes!: [/b][/quote]

i think my mechanic use that to clean my AFM before leh.... but then he said that the the WD-40 should never be spray directly on the sensor...... he just spray the flap.....

i think my mechanic use that to clean my AFM before leh.... but then he said that the the WD-40 should never be spray directly on the sensor...... he just spray the flap..... [/b][/quote]

Willie, you have to push the flap all the way in and see whether the flap returned to its original postion. it not, spraying WD-40 would not help. :wink:

I follow jarance instructions took everything out and file it. Works perfect once for all will last a long time.

Originally posted by mctnesh@Feb 24 2005, 01:48 PM
The next time my AFM fails.....im gonna change to MAF!!!! :D
the next time your AFM fails, better to change car that have MAF.. :rofl:

The next time my AFM fails.....im gonna change to MAF!!!! :D

the next time your AFM fails, better to change car that have MAF.. :rofl:

Woit? Also got racun in this thread onelah... :eek:k:

(flash @ Feb 24 2005, 02:09 PM)
Woit? Also got racun in this thread onelah... :eek:k:

No lar, not racun... To convert to MAF is not so easy mah... You also have to installed piggy ride chip, dyno etc... So difficult lah... better get car with MAF already installed....:eek:

Originally posted by jarance@Feb 24 2005, 01:50 PM

No lar, not racun... To convert to MAF is not so easy mah... You also have to installed piggy ride chip, dyno etc... So difficult lah... better get car with MAF already installed....

Good racun....ehh advise there... :D....but have to live with my current ride lor

Originally posted by flash+Feb 24 2005, 04:32 PM-->

Hai ya, another route... get a 6-potty half-cut with MAF lor... :rolleyes:

Plssss......pllssss....i plead...let this thread to be virgin...NO racunning here!! :ph34r: :ph34r:

:D :D

Thanks for the DIY.

I'll try the technik this weekend. My AFM is already declared died by my mech........because they can't tune the CO level anymore.....

Originally posted by 5series@Mar 11 2005, 10:57 AM
Calling Jarance......

Are u able to assist in cleaning the AFM? Need your help-lah!
The procedure have been posted for those who want to DIY.
What type of assistance that you need? Please let me know. OK.

Managed to take out all 13 screws but fail to open the AFM. At last just clean it through the air intake opening

Originally posted by Strider@Mar 11 2005, 04:48 PM
Managed to take out all 13 screws but fail to open the AFM. At last just clean it through the air intake opening
Strider, I also have the same problem as you. I have figure a technique to open the cover. Try this way. it was posted earlier.. I reattached for your info. :eek:k:

Without opening the cover, you might not confirmed whether the AFM is stickly or not.

I have enclosed a picture of my afm with the cover already open. As you see from the picture, the vane was struck in the open position. I have circle the area where the part is actually struck. (note this picture is before cleaning and sanding down)

afmopen.jpg

Originally posted by anxious@Feb 4 2005, 11:00 PM
Aiyah changed mine for RM600 in Dec after the car stalled twice in 2 weeks...initially I thought it was fuel pump or something then mechanic checked and told me AFM needs to be changed.

I got 1 yr guarantee and my mech replaced the recon AFM in Jan when I complained of erratic idle.

So far OK but I guess nothing like new.....but expensivelah RM1800 for E30 AFM?
After reading through DIY by Jarance I had this problem and it drags me years driving frustration but I see my problem slight diffrence power lost (1) and during overtaking at highways most iritating the car refuse to go so much so even a cuntcil I have to let go (2) because of that by trial and error by 4 different mech I have gone through a big waste of money they say my centre exhaust box carput so I change 1, coil 2, plugs wires change 3, electrical unit at the excelerator top of the fuel injector 4, fuel control valve near the windscreen 5, plugs don't mention lah had the most xpencive one set trail pun goes the same 6, had the AFM service pun same 7, add petrol additive suppost to clean the injector also same 8, had my distributor set change 9, last sekali last June so sick see High-Tech Sam ask him to change a brand new AFM solve the whole nightmare 10, if I am not wrong the AFM cost me RM1350/- he bought it as I am just sick of it, after got it change another problem crop up and many people might not realise this I had my car jergs at low speed as though driving a high compression car (if I am not wrong) check macam2 pakai computer lah cannot detact until I change my power steering filter bottle I found out while taking out the rubber bellow from the manifol to the AFM saw a tinny crack hole then I realise it must be while opening the AFM to change they must have done it roughlly that was harden anyway and that is the problem I use 2 ton glue to it solve my problem and my car goes smooth like a bom. Its a lesson I told HIGH-TECH SAM be careful to your boys when doing anything. I have gone through 10 items done cost so much baru problem solve I learn a hard way to my car spent so much that I told myself I will keep this car sayang most change even gearbox and main engine, only body saja not yet. I am planning to get the lattest UDM soon not decided what modal to get, will do up the best I can to my car soon after I have a replacement. I have alot of story on my car from the day I had it. Sorry I am not good in car technical terms even I have own cars for the pass 31years any mistake my apology. :getyourfactsright: :cry:

Originally posted by rezzy3181@Mar 13 2005, 03:28 AM

After reading through DIY by Jarance I had this problem and it drags me years driving frustration but I see my problem slight diffrence power lost
(1) and during overtaking at highways most iritating the car refuse to go so much so even a cuntcil I have to let go
(2) because of that by trial and error by 4 different mech I have gone through a big waste of money they say my centre exhaust box carput so I change
1, coil
2, plugs wires change
3, electrical unit at the excelerator top of the fuel injector
4, fuel control valve near the windscreen
5, plugs don't mention lah had the most xpencive one set trail pun goes the same
6, had the AFM service pun same
7, add petrol additive suppost to clean the injector also same
8, had my distributor set change
9, last sekali last June so sick see High-Tech Sam ask him to change a brand new AFM solve the whole nightmare
10, if I am not wrong the AFM cost me RM1350/- he bought it as I am just sick of it, after got it change another problem crop up and many people might not realise this I had my car jergs at low speed as though driving a high compression car (if I am not wrong)
check macam2 pakai computer lah cannot detact until I change my power steering filter bottle I found out while taking out the rubber bellow from the manifol to the AFM saw a tinny crack hole then I realise it must be while opening the AFM to change they must have done it roughlly that was harden anyway and that is the problem I use 2 ton glue to it solve my problem and my car goes smooth like a bom.
Its a lesson I told HIGH-TECH SAM be careful to your boys when doing anything. I have gone through 10 items done cost so much baru problem solve I learn a hard way to my car spent so much that I told myself I will keep this car sayang most change even gearbox and main engine, only body saja not yet.
I am planning to get the lattest UDM soon not decided what modal to get, will do up the best I can to my car soon after I have a replacement. I have alot of story on my car from the day I had it.
Sorry I am not good in car technical terms even I have own cars for the pass 31years any mistake my apology. :getyourfactsright: :cry:
Rezzy, sad to hear that you have to go thru 4 mechanic and 10 items of trial and error to solve a simple problem like a leaking air bellow.
Yes, it is quite frustating to have such a simple problem being undetected for so long.
IMHO, always stay with the mechanic when they are repairing the car. Even though you might not understand what they are doing, you can still pick up a few point here and there. My regular mechanic in Segambut allow me to stay with them when they are doing up my car. They also don't mind me asking them what they are doing.

Anyway glad to hear that your problem is finally solved and good luck in your search in your new car. :eek:k:

Top Bottom