Active Steering woes!

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

supergripen

Club Guest
Hi all,I've been having some problems with my car's steering for quite some time.Mine is fitted with the infamous Active Steering option.My main worry is that the steering seems to have a mind of it's own sometimes,especially during medium to high speed highway driving.There would be irritating minute random left and right movements to the car's nose without any actual steering wheel commands.I've brought the car for checks,diagnostic and physical without any success and I'm really getting fed up with all the crap and heartache this problem is giving me..I've recently had a performance boost to the car and the car gathers speed quite quickly,but with the problem I'm having with the steering,its proving to be a real test to my patience..I'm at my wit's end on this..maybe a steering system swap to the normal conventional type would be best?? Its a question I've been asking myself quite a lot lately..and now I'd like to hear ur views as well.Pros and cons??Cost?Appreciate any inputs,views etc..thanx

Active steering is a technology of meddling with the amplification ratio of steering input mechanically. What you are experiencing sounds like your lower bushes or steering linkages ball joints are acting up.. :smokin:

I've had the front suspension looked at and had found no fault there..haven't had anyone look at the actual steering assembly yet,I'll do that the next time round.Thanx bro..good input there.

Bro, if you got a problem with the active steering, i'm sure the `boing' and a message through your i-drive will lite up. I had the experience of faulty AS after i bought the car, theres no such `twitching' or any kind of feeling that you are facing.
I'm assuming that you had this problem even before you install the ESS. As astroboy suggested, it may also caused by a mechanical parts.
Anyway, recently i ditched my run-flats and upsized to 19". The tyre shop did the balancing and alignment and after driving it, it seems to be ok, no pulling to either side. But then at medium to high speed, it felt a little bit like what you have described and it got worse in corners. Two weeks later, i sent the car to IA and asked them to do the alignment. The car now drives much2 better. Hope this helps.

contrail;447236 said:
Bro, if you got a problem with the active steering, i'm sure the `boing' and a message through your i-drive will lite up. I had the experience of faulty AS after i bought the car, theres no such `twitching' or any kind of feeling that you are facing.
I'm assuming that you had this problem even before you install the ESS. As astroboy suggested, it may also caused by a mechanical parts.
Anyway, recently i ditched my run-flats and upsized to 19". The tyre shop did the balancing and alignment and after driving it, it seems to be ok, no pulling to either side. But then at medium to high speed, it felt a little bit like what you have described and it got worse in corners. Two weeks later, i sent the car to IA and asked them to do the alignment. The car now drives much2 better. Hope this helps.

IA means Ingress Auto rite? Thanx bro for the input.Need to find a good place where they can really solve my handling woes..would u say that Ingress is a good place for this type of job? How are their charges? I also think I have an issue with the rear left as well..the DSC comes in way too quickly on that side compared to the rear right.

supergripen;447287 said:
IA means Ingress Auto rite? Thanx bro for the input.Need to find a good place where they can really solve my handling woes..would u say that Ingress is a good place for this type of job? How are their charges? I also think I have an issue with the rear left as well..the DSC comes in way too quickly on that side compared to the rear right.

Just out of curiousity bro,how are you to know when the DSC is kicking in or whether it's on the left or right?Please excuse my ignorance coz I'm new to these things.:stupid:

Guna;447419 said:
Just out of curiousity bro,how are you to know when the DSC is kicking in or whether it's on the left or right?Please excuse my ignorance coz I'm new to these things.:stupid:

Hi Guna..
DSC basically monitors ur car's chassis especially during cornering and sudden maneuvres,it's purpose in life is to avoid the car from skidding and losing control.It does this by braking individual wheels as required,keeping the car honest and in control by it's driver.
U'll know when DSC kicks in cuz there'll be a yellow DSC light that'll flicker in front of u.Drive ur car hard enough into a corner and u shud be able to see it..

supergripen;446464 said:
I've brought the car for checks,diagnostic and physical without any success and I'm really getting fed up with all the crap and heartache this problem is giving me..
Appreciate any inputs,views etc..thanx

I think what God is trying to tell you is this - Just buy the E46 M3 man!:top: I'll support you all the way.

supergripen;447737 said:
Hi Guna..
DSC basically monitors ur car's chassis especially during cornering and sudden maneuvres,it's purpose in life is to avoid the car from skidding and losing control.It does this by braking individual wheels as required,keeping the car honest and in control by it's driver.
U'll know when DSC kicks in cuz there'll be a yellow DSC light that'll flicker in front of u.Drive ur car hard enough into a corner and u shud be able to see it..

I'm quite aware of that coz The Mercs I had in the past have a similar system called ESC if I'm not mistaken and it does kick in when any of my wheels spin ie.wet road,sandy and so on but does the E60 actually indicate which wheel?If it does,I'm impressed man

funfer_fahrer;447740 said:
I think what God is trying to tell you is this - Just buy the E46 M3 man!:top: I'll support you all the way.

I think God is telling us one should go for the M5 even.....errr...God is now working on how to make us afford one

speedrats;447759 said:
How r your tires? R they RFTs and how % left on the tires. Also what tire pressure u using.

Tyres are B'stone Potenza RE050A and they are quite new with plenty of thread left,pressure about 38psi.I don't think the tyres are to blame.DSC goes hyper and comes in at much lower speed than I think it should when I take a righthander..when I take left medium to fast sweepers the DSC only comes in when I really overcook it.There is a distinct difference in speed for left n right.

On the straights,the car weaves left n right randomly,as if the steering rack is 'loose' and I'm kinda like having to catch it constantly..its not a huge mount,the weaving..but still,I'm in hypermode all the time and its getting friggin' tiresome.Even my Honda is more stable.. wtf!!!!!!

funfer_fahrer;447740 said:

If they make 4door versions of the e46 M3 I'd buy it and I'll willingly let go of my e60..can't afford to have too many cars rite now.Not enuff porch space as it is with the 4 cars I have now.

DSC is activated by detected difference in spinning ratio among the wheels which signify skid. First, it will selectively apply brake to each wheel to rectify the skid, failing which, ignition will cut.

Maybe one of the wheel sensor is retarded but for sure, at least one of the wheel is spinning at a different ratio than the others to trigger the DSC. Can be one side suspension kaput too.

supergripen;447859 said:
Tyres are B'stone Potenza RE050A and they are quite new with plenty of thread left,pressure about 38psi.I don't think the tyres are to blame.DSC goes hyper and comes in at much lower speed than I think it should when I take a righthander..when I take left medium to fast sweepers the DSC only comes in when I really overcook it.There is a distinct difference in speed for left n right.

On the straights,the car weaves left n right randomly,as if the steering rack is 'loose' and I'm kinda like having to catch it constantly..its not a huge mount,the weaving..but still,I'm in hypermode all the time and its getting friggin' tiresome.Even my Honda is more stable.. wtf!!!!!!

Hi there,

I feel you. That kind of vibration is totally annoying ! I experienced this before and it drove me nuts....I went through all the on-wheel balancing, alignment, brake discs warping etc .. all of them but it aint the reason.

Try this :
What you can do is to jack up the car and look at the ball joint. Shine a torchlight on it and you will be able to see if the rubber joint is broken. For rear arm, if there is an oil leak on the arms then that is an indication as well.

Replace them and the car is all good again.

hi guys.. its been awhile.

some report.. i've taken the car to Ingress as i've been told that they have all the tools to do a proper adjustment to my car's suspension and steering angles.pretty much fed up of places that claims they know things but in actual fact they know diddly squat!

took a chance and went to Ingress.. sent the car in at about 0900 and job was only completed at 1800.well,it was indeed worth the wait as the job done was excellent.the car felt like a different beast altogether.the random steering movements are gone,car corners much better and body control was fantastic.even bump absorption felt more solid and together,felt like a newer car in a way.

very very happy camper now.. all in all the job cost me rm570,includes a full alignment,full undercarraige and general inspection,active steering re-calibration and a complimentary car wash.they even changed 2 bulbs from my rear left tail-lightwhich was blown a few weeks before.

now i know where to do my alignments..

Supergripen,I'm really happy for you.somewhere down the road if anything like this happens to any of us,we know where to go too.so,what mods have you got on yours man?I assume it's an e60 rite?

hi Guna.. yup,mine's an e60 525i with the M54 engine.suspension-wise,i've installed a set of Bilstein B12 tuning kit and a set of H&R swaybars.the brakes are from a 545i and tyres are Bridgestone Potenza RE050A.

Reeza, glad that you have done it.. Juz like your plane, it needs proper tools, equipment and people to get it right..

Top Bottom