ABS light always on

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

uncle z

Club Guest
My ABS and ASC lights intermittently goes on. I have had the sensors checked and cleaned, but after a while the lights came on again. I’ve been told the problem could be the “controller” for the system. Anybody have any advice on this?If the controller is the problem, can anyone help me source one at reasonable price?

same thing happened to my ride....went to Ultimate Batu Caves, dignosed and discovered 3 out 4 sensors have gone haywire...replaced them...set me back about RM1.3k...has been a couple of weeks now and no problem since

Yeah, would cost a bomb! I'm trying to source it myself, with help from forummers here. Anybody can give me the parts list please? Here is the culprit

uncle z, did u do diagnostics?

i did mine and it pointed to the sensor on front left wheel

my foreman tried cleaning but abs/asc light still come on

i'm renewing sensor soon

touch wood, leave the controller alone

you need to change the ABS control unit there is no other way. cost about RM 3k ori not sure about OEM. if you do not change it your gear will lock into 3rd gear and it will stay that way until you get it change.

it happen to my e39 last month while i was driving back from Kuantan. It is diffcult to find a use part. But you can try Rays Auto Parts along MRR2 near Bukit Madonna or GM Auto Parts in Taman Whayu before Makro along jalan Ipoh in batu caves.

actually for all these sensors/controller

get a new one give u better piece of mind

used/potong units..problem might come back in 1-2 months..

no one will know ..

and these used/potong units

PRICE NOT CHEAP

GOOD LUCK ! :)

And when that happens the diagnostics report will say that you rear left speed sensor does not function. Your speedo meter does not function, ABS, ASC lights will remain on, fuel gauge will fluctuate the only thing that work is the RPM meter.

There is no two ways about you need to change the ABS controll unit to rectify the problem. 9/10 E39s have that problem.

hope this is helpful to you dude.

bimmer73,

how long after your lights first come on does the gear lock at 3?

uncle z,

you have gear lock problem yet?

Checked all sensors, changed one in front. Now, ABS and ASC lights always on (previously, only intermittently)

So far, no gear lock yet. but twice already the engine indicator light came on. Stopped, off engine, on again and no lights.

RM3k? i was given estimate of 4 - 5k !! Bimmer73, where did you get at that price, maybe i buy and get workshop to install.

happened to me sometime last year. You can still drive the without the ABS but it is not advisable to do so.
Shopped around at various spare part shops and was quoted someting like RM3500~3800. Used part is around 3k. But I reckon it is better to get new for peace of mind.
Finally got mine done at a workshop in USJ for RM3600 including resetting of the controller.

Are you absolutely sure it is the controller?

Maybe water got into the ABS sensor wires, some may have cracked?

Does this only happen during rainy days?

Checks confirmed that sensors are OK. One more thing, when i was having the problem, i could not activate my auto-cruise. Workshop said definitely control unit problem.

So, no choice, finally had the control unit changed.

Price is lower than my5 quoted, but it's still a bomb to me!

Top Bottom