6-cycl VS 4-cycl

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
Status
Not open for further replies.

kevster30

Club Guest
"BMWs are reknowned for their inline six engines..........""A 4 cyclinder BMW is not a BMW.........""6 cyclinder engines are more refined and produce more BHP per CC.....""4-cyclinder engined cars are dynamically superior......."Above are some statements that have been fuelling this debate for ages since the first BMW enthusiast was born..... :yes: I was just wondering what are your opinions on this topic.Will reserve my opinion for later.

much we hate to admit it, bmw engines are designed and produced for the consumption of the masses. So each design will have to fulfils certain function and performance parameter and more importantly, its market appeal to the terget buyer. The debates only come in when the enthusists start comparing them unequally for specific fuction and lose sight of the utility of the individual design. IMO all BMW engines are SUPERIOR and there is no qualms bout that. :D :D :D

Originally posted by bmwky@Aug 16 2005, 10:01 PM
much we hate to admit it, bmw engines are designed and produced for the consumption of the masses. So each design will have to fulfils certain function and performance parameter and more importantly, its market appeal to the terget buyer. The debates only comes in when the enthusists start comparing them unequally for specific fuction and lose sight of the utility of the individual design. IMO all BMW engines are SUPERIOR and there is no qualms bout that. :D :D :D
Bro, trying to get discount from BMW Malaysia issit?.....hahahahahahaha :rofl:

6 pot, 4 pot, v pot, straight pot......

a bimmer will always be a bimmer.........!!!!

Originally posted by kevster30@Aug 16 2005, 09:52 PM
"BMWs are reknowned for their inline six engines.........."

"A 4 cyclinder BMW is not a BMW........."

"6 cyclinder engines are more refined and produce more BHP per CC....."

*sob *sob... my car not a bimmer (4-pot only wor). I better go replace the logo with that tigerhead one. :(

Originally posted by teejay@Aug 17 2005, 11:05 AM
6 pot, 4 pot, v pot, straight pot......

a bimmer will always be a bimmer.........!!!!
TJ,

exactly!....but refer to my other thread, although all bimmers carry the UDM badge they may be unequal tho.

Kev,

will share wif you if got discount...he he

Anyone care to first list out the major differences between the two?

Then can start on the pros and cons...

This should prove to be a knowledgeable thread...

(Don't ask me anything... I just know how to drive... Time to start learning tech stuff :D )

Originally posted by nikazwaa@Aug 17 2005, 11:11 AM
Anyone care to first list out the major differences between the two?

Then can start on the pros and cons...

This should prove to be a knowledgeable thread...

(Don't ask me anything... I just know how to drive... Time to start learning tech stuff :D )
you'll had it comin......... :D :yes!: :D

Let's see... engine hierarchy goes something like this:

Ferrari V12 > BMW V10 > American V8s/ Ferrari V8 > Porsche Flat-6/Nissan, BMW I-line 6> Honda I-line 4 > Rover K- Series I-line 4 > BMW I-line 4.

Hahaha.

I personally have own an e36 325i and now an e30 318iS. 1 6 potter the other a 4 potter.
which do i enjoy the most?, of course the M50. I love the low down torque and the smooth leanear power it produces...its easier to drive around the city then compared to my high revving m42..
talk about handling blah blah from these m42 or s14 are all just hyped up..like how often are you going to drive these cars to the limits on city streets or take on a corner..lets face it, most of us drive our cars 99% in urban areas!
the cons on the matter of the 6s is that it cost more to maintain and usually drink a little more fuel and more if you push it harder. that can't be said for my m42 which is an extremely economical car even if i push all the time.
4 litres of oil opposed to 7 litres on the m50, and they do not make 7 litres of black oil!!

From an E30 perspective I would say there is very little in it in the first place unless you start comparing the different extremes of the 4 pot-6 pot engine range e.g. M40 1.8 against a M20B25.

In between e.g. say an M40/M42 against an M20B20, there is actually very little difference in terms of accerleration and fuel consumption other than a smoother engine and bigger road tax/insurance . In fact in some critical departments the 'lower range' E30 6 pots start to lose out against their 4 pots cousins. In this case the 4 pots are perhaps 'better balanced' cars.

The M20B23s are certainly a step up from the 4 pots, offering better power/torque etc. but still not that much more..... (they are also older engines) ....it is only when you start comparing the M40/42s with the M20B25s does the 6 pot BMW start to make sense. The range of upgrades available at this end would certainly end any argument over who's better .... a stroked 2.5 could be made to achieve in excess of 210bhp with the right mods.

From a larger perspective, the M50, M52, S50, S52 series onwards are more the kind of engines BMW is reknowned for or should be making. They represent some of the best in 6 pot design IMHO and best represent what BMW is all about. Their 4 pot cousins are simply a reflection of the need to reach a wider market. Bear in mind that the 4 pots at this level represent some of the best designs available and, correct me if i am wrong, are among the most power standard, N/A engines available on the market today.

The future is diesel I think.....

I know which I want to be when I am in Sepang.....even if its for the exhaust & engine tone........he he he ( my "flying" lap time too slow.....only 3min 45 sec! )

in any case, we are all different and has different needs! there's no rite or wrong!

Off topic, a slight digression...

I think in the the near future (if its not happening already), BMW will be reknowned for the V8 engines! :)

Originally posted by The Necessary@Aug 17 2005, 11:19 AM
Let's see... engine hierarchy goes something like this:

Ferrari V12 > BMW V10 > American V8s/ Ferrari V8 > Porsche Flat-6/Nissan, BMW I-line 6> Honda I-line 4 > Rover K- Series I-line 4 > BMW I-line 4.

Hahaha.
Necc ...

Don't mind if I add one more to the list ....

Aston V12/Ferrari V12 > BMW V10 > American V8s/ Ferrari V8 > Porsche Flat-6/Nissan, BMW I-line 6> Honda I-line 4 > Rover K- Series I-line 4 > BMW I-line 4.

Bundy ... I think that the current/previous Beemer V8s have already earned their stripes ... just that they continue to be overshadowed by their straight-6 siblings !!! Like the one attached here .... :p

Cheers

Perhaps we should compare our 4pots with other brand's 4pots and 6pots with other 6pots....then we'll know which is smoother and more superior.

Or just stay home and compare flower pots lah. We should always compare apple to apple. No point comparing a puny chopper engine with that of a Jumbo Jet right?

Oops...am I opening another can of worms here? Hahaha...let the fun begin. :wink:

my kind of understanding is easy, the more the cylinder the better. easier for engine.
otherwise you have the power and weight ratio etc to consider. Never ending story......

Vanq,

did consider the Aston V12, but left is out because it's essentially 2 short block Ford V6s on a common crank!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom