530i E60 air conditioner compressor malfunction

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
jaliumer;376946 said:
the guy mention about the valve at the compressor wasn't functioning properly... i'm not too sure but when they hook up to the computer it show that the gas pressure was low but aircon gas was just filled up... initially they say need to change the compressor but then next day just the valve....

So the compressor remained unchanged? Was it the expansion valve that got changed?

Encountered this problem 2 days ago. Been driving the car for almost 2.5 years without A/C problem suddenly feel the the a/c is not cool to what it suppose to be.

Send to one of very reliable a/c shop in Kulim and they rectify the presssure valve malfunction.

So this is an laer to all E60 owners to check the pressure valve before deciding to change a/c compressor.

I think BMW have this special valve to protect the compressor which much more cheaper.

Since I do not received the bill yet, can someone tell be how much it cost you?

Hi there,
I m new here and i just posted the intro on the newbie section. i read this thread and seems like i also faced the same problem here, the air cond on the E60 is not blowing cold air at all. I was toild the compressor is spoiled. could someone share with me abit more detail on how to verify the valve problem and how much usually it costs to fix this?

I dont know which shop to send to, so hopefully some guides from here can help me also...

thx a lot

r37720;389289 said:
Encountered this problem 2 days ago. Been driving the car for almost 2.5 years without A/C problem suddenly feel the the a/c is not cool to what it suppose to be.

Send to one of very reliable a/c shop in Kulim and they rectify the presssure valve malfunction.

So this is an laer to all E60 owners to check the pressure valve before deciding to change a/c compressor.

I think BMW have this special valve to protect the compressor which much more cheaper.

Since I do not received the bill yet, can someone tell be how much it cost you?

can you let us know which reliable a/c shop in kulim you sent yours to? thanks :)

i have d same problem wt my 525 E60. m gonna send to my mechanic nxt wk and see what's d diagnosis.

Hi All,

My car is a 525 2006 Japan Spec. Facing the same problem. No cool air for the first 2minutes, then the cool air will start blowing after the car is moving. But when the car is not moving, the hot air will start blowing again. Very panas while caught in the traffic jam. There's only cold air blowing while the car is moving.

I have sent the car for service and did ask the shop to check on this. They said that they have clean the aircond system and try it out first and see. Seem it's not working. Hope you guys can help me here by advising me one the next step. Need to know the main problem first. Don't want to just send it to workshop and get conned.

Anyone facing the same problem and have any idea how to repair the problem?

Thanks.

RB*

go to the idrive automatic ac settings...on the right side to the soft, medium settings there is the stratification settings...see the 'man body is in red color or blue' if red then tune to blue...

hai...

lost my password...soo sorry...it seem i also face the same problem but only at the first start. i noticed that since i get my car 525i from dealer.

t2ribena,

Tried doing what u told me, still same problem. When the car is not moving and stuck under hot sun, the air flow will be hot air, but when the car start moving, the cold air start coming back.

Really panas man malaysia now days. Anyone have repaired this problem? need to know where and how much would it cost. Thanks.

RB*

yah i m facing the same problem too, with aircond not blowing cool air for at least 2 min.
Anywhere to do this fix without costing a bomb :) and reliably.

thks!

RB*;415187 said:
t2ribena,

Tried doing what u told me, still same problem. When the car is not moving and stuck under hot sun, the air flow will be hot air, but when the car start moving, the cold air start coming back.

Really panas man malaysia now days. Anyone have repaired this problem? need to know where and how much would it cost. Thanks.

RB*

check if yr electric fan is working and also yr speed 2 function.

Hi All,

I've service my aircond and everything is going well now. The problem was with the compressor, kaput already.

First the mechanic told me that he need to check the valve first, if it's ok no need to change compressor. but sadly, my compressor kaput. he told me that new one will cost a lot, thus he gave me idea to use second hand compressor which i agree to.

Got my car yesterday, and everything is good now. the 2nd hand compressor cost me around 1300++. Better than new one that another mechanic wanna charge me 4000. just to brief u guys \.Thanks

RB*

If the car is cool while is being driven and warm when stationary is most likely due to the cooling fan. Its cold when moving because air will passed through the condenser when you are driving, but when the car is stationary, the condenser depends on the cooling fan to release the heat.

Check the motor, see if its getting power, maybe you have a blown fuse, or if its good, then the motor itself is kaput.

The valve the other readers are referring to is the expansion valve. It's main function is to drop the refrigerant pressure & flow control. The cool refrigerant is passed through this valve on towards the coil where the pressure drops. Due to this loss of pressure, some liquid is changed to a low pressure gas. Its the remaining liquid that absorbs the heat on the coil. The car's blower blows air across this coil and into the car.

So if the valve is screwed, then it may not be regulating the refrigerant properly, which will mean it takes longer to cool the car. The car will eventually be cool but it takes time since the valve is not distributing enough refrigerant. Over time, the valve will completely stop working. Even if the service center say the electric clutch is bad, I would check the fuse first, it maybe be blown, that's why the clutch is not engaging. The compressor would be one of the last one to crap out.

Investigate thoroughly before spending money unnecessarily. My 2 cents. :wink:

saya ingin bertanya. adakah kita perlu mematikan dulu aircond sebelum menghidupkan enjin? saya dapati aircond automatik on bila saja kita memusingkan kunci di no 3. Dan adakah perlu kita mematikan aircond dulu sebelum mematikan enjin bagi menjaga jangkahayat compressor aircond.

Tq

I forgot to post a resolution to this problem.

I sent the car to Optimum Auto in Kayu Ara, and they replaced the entire compressor unit with a new one for RM2.7k, which is about half what AB/Sapura would've charged me. Optimum returned the car the next day, and everything has been operating as normal for the past year.

They said the entire unit had failed, but as it was partially working I suspect that it was probably some smaller component inside giving way.

Optimum is a reliable and trustworthy workshop. Been sending my E39 to them previously.

Advise for those who are experiencing compressor problems, you can use Denso compressor if you do not want to use those from the service centres. Just in case for those who do not know, BMW compressors use Denso brand, but cost half the price of those Denso's branded with BMW. I got mine changed today along with the drier insert. Total cost RM2.5K inclusive of labour and 1-year warranty.

Top Bottom